Sandhurst May 2005

I have a place for RMAS officer training May 2005. intention- short service commission. not entirely sure what i'd be letting myself in for, mainly in terms of life after Sandhurst. it's hard work, we all know, but finding the right friends/colleagues is v important. anyone else out there in similar situation:-

1. do you know exactly what military law you are signing up to?
2. what home are you planning to use during and post Sandhurst or are you planning on buying a house?
3. anyone had comments on how manageable a relationship is during your SSC?
4. do you know anyone else on your intake? (other than the obvious HRH)

HAYPIE said:
I have a place for RMAS officer training May 2005. intention- short service commission. not entirely sure what i'd be letting myself in for, mainly in terms of life after Sandhurst. it's hard work, we all know, but finding the right friends/colleagues is v important. anyone else out there in similar situation:-

1. do you know exactly what military law you are signing up to? :?:
2. what home are you planning to use during and post Sandhurst or are you planning on buying a house? :?:
4. do you know anyone else on your intake? (other than the obvious HRH :?: )

HAYPIE said:

2. what home are you planning to use during and post Sandhurst or are you planning on buying a house?
REBEKAH WADE?

ditto hackle

:?:

It starts with a J yes? I find it hard to believe anyone who had passed RCB would be this clueless. ah well

It is hard to believe that one could pass an Army careers office and be this ignorant, let alone RCB. Piss-poor research even for one of Fleet Street's finest. Piss-poor punctuation as well.

I realise not everyone will agree with this comment, but I think it's a pity that these shameless attempts result in putting off the better journos who make appropriate use of this site. We do encourage them to watch when it suits us.

I wish some of those better journos would scrag these people. In fact, that would be one case of bullying I would not be too upset about. :wink:

Afterthought: "better journos" does not necessarily correspond to "posh newspapers".

Perhaps someone can explain what a HayPie is?

Is it the same as a Cow Patty?

FAIR COP, I DID LOG OUT AFTER POSTING MY TOPIC. I HAVE READ ROUND THE ARMY MORE THAN A FAIR BIT AND BEEN ON 2 REGIMENTAL FAM VISITS, PLUS GAINED SOME MILITARY EXPERIENCE WITH THE T.A. AS WAS RECOMMENDED. I GUESS ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO REALLY PREDICT HOW IT MIGHT BE UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY DO IT. THE LIST OF 'USEFUL THINGS TO TAKE TO SANDHURST' WAS HOWEVER VERY GOOD- POSTED ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC. IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE SUGGESTION THEY ARE WELCOME.

Feck it I'll bite and get it over with.

A nice quiet useful suggestion: TAKE THE FREAKIN CAPS LOCK OFF!

Look you should have already been clued up on what you were letting yourself in for-at least rough idea of mil law (QR's are on the net if you can't sleep), accom arrangements etc. If you've been in TA then you have no excuse.

Fair question about relationships-guess that's down to you, and intake goes into realms of Persec.

You need to give yourself some credibillity (don't ask such bone questions) if people are going to take you seriously on here and not declare you a journo, at the moment you've not quite achieved that.

I guess that you have heard the saying think before you speak? Well that goes for posting as well.

Caps lock pisses me off. Burn the witch, burn!

On the point of military law... look at your attestation papers - you will sign them either at the ACIO or when you go to RMAS for the Pre-Course Briefing.

If you've already signed and didn't read them, unfcukinglucky. I am sure someone at the TA centre can take the time to talk through your rights and responsibilities if you ask nicely.

HAYPIE said:
what?? you are in for one hell of a shock!!

RCSignals said:
Perhaps someone can explain what a HayPie is?
Is it the same as a Cow Patty?
or HairyPie?

HAYPIE said:
I have a place for RMAS officer training May 2005. intention- short service commission. not entirely sure what i'd be letting myself in for, mainly in terms of life after Sandhurst. it's hard work, we all know,

HAYPIE - now I've finished chuckling at your naivity [I cannot believe you signed up to RMAS without thinking about what it means], and on the premise that you are on the level and not some idle Journo looking for dirt - I'll try and give you the answer you deserve.

1. Mil Law - the Army Act - get on the net and look it up.
2. Err, you have heard about postings right? And accommodation? Basically the Army will house you in splendour, pay you a pop star's wage and provide 3 banquet's a day.
3. Well you move every few years, you spend a significant portion of your life away, and you constantly meet fit, new people..Your call :!:
4. The idea is you make new friends when you get there, after week one you will be fine.

Best of luck, I have a feeling you may need it more than most

It's the mongs! They're invading!! 8O They just didn't have the skills to reply to CP's NAAFI thread... :roll:

If this & b_o are the standard of the new intake to RMAS I think I'm going to :cry:

... & if they're indicative of the new intake of ARRSErs I'm going to have to change my name to GeniusBint coz they make me look bloody brilliant! :lol:

Now I've got time between wetting myself about this thread...

For the housing - you will be living at Sandhurst... you are not entitled to a quarter until you have completed training... and either way commuting is sh*t to Camberley (if you're thinking of knocking off any time before midnight or getting to work any later than 0530).

Muppett's got a point about the Army life - have you really thought through how flexible you're going to have to be? Has your boyfriend/girlfriend?

I recommend you attend the Pre Course Briefing as you'll get to meet about 1/3 of your course for those two days.

Extract from Haypie's first letter to Mum

Dear Mum,

They've taken my TV away and won't let me put up my "Girl's Aloud" Poster.!!!

I can't believe it these people think they can like TELL YOU WHAT TO DO all the time. The Sergant who is GOING TO DO WHAT I TELL HIM in a couple of moinths is a right arrse and is just making things hard for us all - LIKE WE CARE.

These guys are like OBSESSED with cleaning things - can you believe it??!!! Got all muddy yesterday and just cos i cleaned my boots in the sink and left a bit of mud in it everyone had to run up and down a hill on the obstacle course with ammo boxes for two hours in the rain - I know the guys don't blame me though cos they've even given me a nickname - they call me "Jack" - must be an army thing.

"hey Jack - cleaned your boots yet" - the guys are great!

I think Claire must be away somewhere cos when I call her all I can hear is loud R and B, she must be busy as she hasn't written to me in ages.

Anyway - we are going for a walk this afternoon we are meant to carry like 30 kilos - do you know how much that is!!!!! Yeah I thought like that's goingt to happen - NOT. It's not like anyone's going to weigh it is it? Idiots!

Am loosing abit of weight - can you send me a new belt and perhaps some more cotton buds (I'm having trouble cleaning the inside corners of my widow panes.)

love to Daddy

Your little soldier Haypie

Your platoon sergeant's going to LOVE you.
Between him, the CSM, the OC and the Bn 2ic you won't know whether you're coming or going, given your naivety and bone questions.
Advice for the future - do some research and read before you sign. Err....too late. Next life time eh?
Muppet.