Sandhurst incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Female Officer Cadet found dead in apparent suicide at Sandhurst

The Telegraph says that she was about to graduate. It also mentions that the MoD are saying that she had done nothing wrong apart from not being in her own room. Does the MoD line fit with RMAS line, I wonder? I suspect that Sandhurst's definition of 'nothing wrong' might be a little stricter than the general MoD one; most training establishments tend to be stricter than the real life experience. Probably nothing that an outside observer would think was serious, but I know that the outside world is a distant planet when you are at Sandhurst.

Seems she was being investigated for doing "The walk of shame" after a party the previous night

Archie
FFS is that still happening?

It might be nice if we all hold back from making deductions and commenting until the facts are released.
Good point, well presented... it does rather seem that there is more to it than a minor disciplinary matter if the reportage is to be believed.

It is believed the woman had been involved in a minor disciplinary incident, which was being investigated.

The Army had also provided her with mental health support following an event earlier in her training. The cadet was in her last term at the base after joining in May.
Sandhurst cadet found dead in 'suicide'

Purple_Flash

ADC
It might be nice if we all hold back from making deductions and commenting until the facts are released.
I think that that is quite excellent advice.

Remember that media, family and friends may well be searching for references to her online and ending up here.

No that's just an early morning recreational stroll. The epic walk of shame is being seen emerging from the NAAFI accommodation bloc!
The RLC Squadron lines would be a true one to reflect on your life choices

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I think that that is quite excellent advice.

Remember that media, family and friends may well be searching for references to her online and ending up here.
Agreed. Having lurked in the G1 world a bit, such matters are best left to the investigation team and generally speaking, the Army does a thorough job looking at these events., but that only comes with the fullness of time.

We should also remember that her classmates and staff may be reading this thread and as colleagues, we should perhaps avoid the temptation of speculation.

Anyone in an organisation like the Army will have been close to or witnessed regrettable events, I certainly did when I was serving and I disliked those that would speculate or seek the "inside story".

I would tempted to lock the thread so as not to provide fuel for further speculation on what is essentially a deeply tragic event for those involved.

I can imagine that it must have seemed to be a great problem. Got drunk and either too drunk to return to her block, or maybe had sex with someone (or tried to) and stayed in their room. This gets found out, the CSgt and CSM are flinging words like "integrity" and "back-terming" about and threatening going in front of the Commandant.

But putting it into perspective, "young person has fun at party" would seem like the four corners of what actually preceded the investigation. The Army probably needs to wise up a tad, if the consequence of the treatment of the individual is that they feel the only way out is the route she took.

A great shame, RIP.
Wait for a Police report to come through first - comments like these are great for Media "sound bites".

She may have well have had Mental Heath problems or simple died accidentally, wait till a proper diagnosis comes out.

I was about to write something similar and to add that I've been there and done that, but that was back in the days of Mons OCS and Netley, so I can say that no-one, before or afterwards, will know the exact reason for the act. Units need someone trained in mental health; when I read the news that a female CSM was being pasted to Sandhurst I immediately thought that it could only be a good thing for cadets. Back in my day one could hardly seek comfort or help from the RSM, good as they were but hardly a benevolent uncle.
If you feel inclined to top yourself, seek help. It appears impossible on a commissioning course when you think that every action is being judged and your fear is of failure. I was offered the chance to re-do the course or a medical discharge after having my stomach pumped out.

Devastating news for her family and friends. My sincere condolences to them.

No parent should ever have to bury their child

D

Deleted 60082

It's hard to comment on an incident which is so raw but an ability to keep perspective and for people and organisations having the ability to help someone keep perspective is a skill I learned (and sometimes don't practice very well) way later than I should have.

Uniformed, disciplined organisations can engender a culture that don't do well when it comes to asking if something is a real problem in the grand scheme of things. I'm not talking about this incident, I'm talking about organisational culture per se as it relates to your post

edit: can't spell or structure sentences properly it would appear.
I recall when I was undergoinh my officer training, a student pilot of the course ahead of us drank himself to near-oblivion and then down whatever tablets he could find. To him (probably about 18) the bottom of his world well out when he got chopped from flying training - in the days when DS defaced the course photo with a Red Cross on each that failed, and took relish in doing so.

He was very, very ill but survived - just. I firmly believe that some culpability rested with the staff.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
in the days when DS defaced the course photo with a Red Cross on each that failed, and took relish in doing so.
This was very much the attitude with my platoon DS. We lost 19 of the original starting 30. Probably not appropriate for an academy with a 'train in' mentality.

I would argue it’s the role of all staff (though not judging on this incident).
I can understand how it is difficult to wear two hats simultaneously and particularly to be seen to do so by people under pressure.

in the days when DS defaced the course photo with a Red Cross on each that failed, .
Off thread clarification - still happens. Just depends on which stage of the course. Cranwell black out the face, Shawbury has the block dot in basic, red cross in advanced

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads