Sandhurst incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt say it was Suicide on Sky news, (change the title) let the next of kin be informed first, than have a panic over all the parents of people there.

Her death is being treated as "unexplained" and "non-suspicious", Thames Valley Police said.

I can't imagine how that must feel. Your child makes it to adulthood, into the beginnings of a promising career very much getting on with their lives and then this happens.

Genuinely makes my blood run cold.

@2ndpreimage why the dislike, its what is being reported in the press

A police spokesman said: "At around 3pm on Wednesday, officers were called to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. On attending the scene they found that a woman in her twenties had sadly died. Her next of kin have been informed.
"The death is being treated as unexplained but non-suspicious. A file is being prepared for the coroner."

It is understood the woman was involved in an investigation over a drunken party at Sandhurst last weekend, after which she apparently stayed overnight in one of the other colleges on the site in Surrey. The MoD said there was no suggestion of wrongdoing, except that she had not returned to her accommodation.

As reported by the Times newspaper

Archie

@2ndpreimage why the dislike, its what is being reported in the press

A police spokesman said: "At around 3pm on Wednesday, officers were called to the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. On attending the scene they found that a woman in her twenties had sadly died. Her next of kin have been informed.
"The death is being treated as unexplained but non-suspicious. A file is being prepared for the coroner."

It is understood the woman was involved in an investigation over a drunken party at Sandhurst last weekend, after which she apparently stayed overnight in one of the other colleges on the site in Surrey. The MoD said there was no suggestion of wrongdoing, except that she had not returned to her accommodation.

As reported by the Times newspaper

Archie
I was under the impression that was scuttlebutt from a source you had, in which case, poor form.

It's still poor form (but from the Times). I take it back.

edit: pulled the dislike :pc:

My thoughts to her family.

Hopefully its a very isolated case. although issues with mental health within the armed forces seem to be rising at a rather alarming rate.

I can imagine that it must have seemed to be a great problem. Got drunk and either too drunk to return to her block, or maybe had sex with someone (or tried to) and stayed in their room. This gets found out, the CSgt and CSM are flinging words like "integrity" and "back-terming" about and threatening going in front of the Commandant.

But putting it into perspective, "young person has fun at party" would seem like the four corners of what actually preceded the investigation. The Army probably needs to wise up a tad, if the consequence of the treatment of the individual is that they feel the only way out is the route she took.

A great shame, RIP.

I can imagine that it must have seemed to be a great problem. Got drunk and either too drunk to return to her block, or maybe had sex with someone (or tried to) and stayed in their room. This gets found out, the CSgt and CSM are flinging words like "integrity" and "back-terming" about and threatening going in front of the Commandant.

But putting it into perspective, "young person has fun at party" would seem like the four corners of what actually preceded the investigation. The Army probably needs to wise up a tad, if the consequence of the treatment of the individual is that they feel the only way out is the route she took.

A great shame, RIP.
It's hard to comment on an incident which is so raw but an ability to keep perspective and for people and organisations having the ability to help someone keep perspective is a skill I learned (and sometimes don't practice very well) way later than I should have.

Uniformed, disciplined organisations can engender a culture that don't do well when it comes to asking if something is a real problem in the grand scheme of things. I'm not talking about this incident, I'm talking about organisational culture per se as it relates to your post

edit: can't spell or structure sentences properly it would appear.

Last edited:

Sadurian

LE
Book Reviewer
Seems she was being investigated for doing "The walk of shame" after a party the previous night

Archie
I'm guessing that the 'walk of shame' is that shamefaced scuttle you make back to your own room after spending the night in a room you should not have been in?

If so, then it is obviously a serious matter for internal discipline, especially at those early stages of training for life as an officer, but not exactly something that should cause her to commit suicide (assuming that was actually what happened).

If she did, indeed, spend the night with someone else, then one of her fellow cadets is going to be in a world of long-term mental hurt knowing that he (or she) is partially responsible. That's at least one and potentially two young lives ended or ruined.

Like most of the very sad incidents where someone takes their own life, there was probably some underlying issues /problems and this specific event triggered the outcome

Very sad

Archie
Thankfully, it is not something that I have encountered in the Army, but in my civilian career I have known three officers take their own lives. No good comes of it.

It might be nice if we all hold back from making deductions and commenting until the facts are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.