Sandhurst in the sand

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
This has all the potential of the Alamo post 2014.

Not for the faint hearted I imagine.

The posts about a 'career vacuum' are not far off, I've heard the postings touted as a 'transitional' tour. More than one of the postings have been taken by guys whose Bn has been disbanded or re-roled under Army2020 and are therefore 'not required' for a couple of years while the rest of the blokes re-trade and/or things settle down.

I met the Brigadier who ran the one in Iraq, I wonder how that fared?

Bad CO

Admin
So where did they send you ?
I was a board member so had the pleasure of dispatching several people there. The experience helped to confirm my decision to PVR!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

It wasn't a bad camp - The Brit mentors had an 'Empire Room' which was full of all things British. the facilities were good, but every time there was a mortar attack another bit was put out of action as there was no money to repair it. They had the Air Force academy first termers squeezed in for a bit but they moved out leaving more space.

The Yanks were in anther camp next door which was indeed a sh1t'ole. There was a typhoid scare when the sewage pipes split.

B

bokkatankie

The posts about a 'career vacuum' are not far off, I've heard the postings touted as a 'transitional' tour. More than one of the postings have been taken by guys whose Bn has been disbanded or re-roled under Army2020 and are therefore 'not required' for a couple of years while the rest of the blokes re-trade and/or things settle down.
You mean like Cambodia in 1992/3, heaven forbid that we sent Captains as Lt Col, that we were seen as a joke and not taking the UN seriously. Surely we would never do something like that (again) with such a crucial nation building project?

B

bokkatankie

From the Telegraph version, wonder what weapons the British had???

Insider attack mars opening of Afghanistan's Sandhurst in the Sand - Telegraph

Its military history syllabus has been adapted from the Sandhurst version, emphasising Afghan history. As a result, recruits will be taught about some of Britain's most humiliating defeats, including the 1842 Battle of Gandamak when Afghans armed with long-barrelled muskets wiped out all but the last remnants of an 18,000 strong British and Indian column retreating from Kabul.

Well it seems that it is £75m not well spent. One Afghan dead and three NATO injured in its first week.

BBC News - Fatal row in first week at UK-run Afghan officer academy

We should not be wasting money on these people, you cannot change a leopards spots and you cannot change these people
We're not investing in corrupt perimeter guards outside the wire but the officer cadets within it. Did you read the story?

Hope the ISAF and ANSF involved recover quickly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that there are two parts - one American-run, which will do a West Point-style course, Degree standard, taking a good while, and the other, ours, based on the Sandhurst model. It will be interesting to see which the ANA prefer (if they are given a choice, that is). The shootings must have happened in our bit. All accom for the students is tented, which is going to be nice, given a Kabul winter :)

AFAIK, the first "Sandhurst in the Sand", in Iraq, lasted about a day less than did the US presence there, as we bugged out before they did. What's going on there now, God only knows - not one of our greatest achievements.

I'm sure that the Afghan version of SITS will be a far greater succcess............

We're not investing in corrupt perimeter guards outside the wire but the officer cadets within it. Did you read the story?

Hope the ISAF and ANSF involved recover quickly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Er, yes I did, did you? Do you know all the events of the incident? It appears not. Anyway, do you think I do not know that we are not investing in corrupt perimeter guards outside the wire....the fact that the title is Sandhurst in the sand is a bit of a giveaway don't you think? Just because these are officer cadets, doesn't mean to say they are not corrupt and if you believe that only perimeter guards are corrupt then I suggest you take off those rose tinted glasses and open your eyes. Maybe also find out how many NATO soldiers have been shot by ANA officers? Corruption runs at every level as the following little minor story will show.

I used to have to get a visa for Afghanistan in Dubai, and one day I went to get a visa and a little Ariana desk had been setup and the only way to get a visa was to buy a ticket at the Ariana desk and show it to the embassy staff. I asked why I had to do this as I already had a ticket on another airline, and the embassy staff stated that the ambassador had said thats the way it was. I phoned the Afghan embassy in UK and the US and asked them if this was the official policy and they stated that it wasn't and they did not know why this was the case in the embassy in Dubai. So myself and a load of others asked to see the ambassador who refused to come, but eventually did after certain words were said and a sit in developed. Anyway, after a lot of shouting and upsetidness, turns out that the ambassador was trying to drum up business for Ariana because he had a relative working for them, by forcing people who wanted a visa to fly with them. He did relent to give me and my collegues visas without purchasing a ticket when I and others pointed out that this was corrupt, coercion and other such things and I would be reporting it to the relevant people etc etc shouty shout shout blah blah....which I did. We also all know how corrupt Kazai is. So you see, corruption runs at every level, not just with the little man.

Hi everyone

Sorry to re-start the thread but I wondered if anyone out there had some (well-sourced) advice on a tour at the ANAOA. There might be an opportunity for me to deploy there next year but I've heard it's a bit of a 'poison chalice' in terms of it being poorly regarded career-wise. I was told that all of the Majors going next year are on 'directed postings' - that doesn't sound too good to me! Is it that bad of a tour?

Bad CO

Admin
Like anything to do with MS, I'd say it is relative! Of course it will be better than SO2 Drains in Benbecula but it isn't up there with anything particularly decent. I also vaguely recall the reporting profile is a little odd (foreigner in the loop?)

Personally I'd avoid it like the plague unless you fancy going for non career related reasons.

*** Disclaimer - I left the Army 7 months ago but I don't believe things have changed that much. ***

Thanks Bad CO; as I thought. I think I'll be a 'volun-told' candidate from what my CM has said so far as one of the guys selected for next year PVR'd before being formally told by the system. The tour will be 9 months long without CCA - winner!

If I'm going, I think I'll be watching my back by having wing mirrors fitted to my Osprey!

Bad CO

Admin
Sorry to hear that. As far as I can tell there are no good reasons to go out there with the added bonus of a high level of risk. No surprise that people are PVR-ing if they think a trip there is in the offing.

R

really?_fascinating

Well done MS - the need of the Army come first. Shame that always means the immediate thirst not the long term sustainability.

Supposedly v important stuff relegated as not career enhancing. Thus pressed men sent and no real intrinsic interest in success.

Keep safe.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I've seen the reasoning behind the tour length, it's along the lines of 12 months is optimal for the desired results but this would be detrimental to career paths so 8 - 9 it is. Mental.

Sent from my LG-D802 using ARRSE mobile app

Latest Threads