Sandhurst hit by soaring Injury rate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Main_Effort, Jan 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Competition is fierce though, be the best or go home?
    Or are they getting reckless with the folks going through to feed the shortages?

EDIT - ******** remark

"The number of officer cadets being injured at Sandhurst has soared due to more rigorous training for the Afghanistan front."

I'll read the article first next time :p
  2. Probably better reporting...I think everyone is reporting more to AINC rather than just shrugging and cracking on.
  3. such a large increase seems difficult to put down to simply better reporting, from 35 to 185 is a huge increase. I have heard it mentioned that Sandhurst is getting tougher, and i believe the pass rate has dropped at RMAS (i think there was a thread about it a while back).
  4. "…And according to the latest statistics released through the Freedom of *Information Act, in the first three months of last year 80 recruits were hurt training for action in Helmand.

I wonder if Mr Journo can make a causal link?
  5. Apart from the fact the article is crap, this is, in my opinion, nothing to be concerned about.

Training has to be hard to prepare people for the type of roles they could be expected to carry out in theatre. And the physio and rehab facilities at RMAS are top notch.

Also, OCDTs are often encouraged to go sick if they have what appears to be a minor injury because the course is so long they can't afford to let a niggle turn into something serious.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. For once, the 'spokesman' sums it up nicely:

7. The Mirror, bless, that says it all.
  8. Times have changed. When I was there, going sick was frowned upon unless you were dead.
  9. Huw Pike did his best to kill off at least half a CC. Who is Comdt now?
  10. Major General Patrick Marriott CBE is the main man.
  11. On the more positive side, the number of cadets that have (allegedly) been injured by polo balls hurled by senior officers has dramatically reduced. :eye:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. My bold ....

That's exactly what's happening where I am, the trainees are told that they must report sick for anything whatsoever. The doctor's are becoming like civvy GPs now and automatically bed them down for n number of days following which they have to go back again to be cleared by the doctor to continue training.

So a 'sprained eyelash' gets them a week off, just in case it's something more serious and the doctor can be sure he's not going to be sued later/thesystem isn't going to get sued when the trainee is subsequently binned as a medical risk.
  13. Yes, because god forbid we look after people. I mean, in your day you did your training on 3 broken legs, right?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

pffft anything that takes more than 12 hours, ibuprofen and deep heat to clear up is going to have to be a carried injury no matter what treatment is on offer.