• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

SANDHURST documentary

I have just watched a documentary on a new uptake to Sandhurst. Okay, I had one eye on it and the other on work, but I heard a potential Rupert going, eventually, to see his CO about maybe having to kill someone someday and not being able to do it to defend himself or his muckers. Are potential officers thick or just thinking about the Mess, Summer Balls with Cordelia looking fragrant and them getting The Sword and Mumsy crying?

F F S!! Think about it before you join up and waste our money and time. Rant, rave...

I watched it. It was good. Major L was my old boss and an absolutely top bloke. Thought he came across well.

Standout moment was the CSgt finding the rupert's boots in his black bag after he tried to blag he had not been issued them...if the cameras were not there I could imagine he would have reacted differently.

I think the individual was using the weapon system excuse to smooth his exit from S/hurst.

Could anyone believe how goddamn patient they were with all that nonsense? I mean the Commandant spoke to him and tried to passify him, there was mention of theology and everything! Me thinks that if one were joining up as a private or whatever, the SNCO's wouldn't have entertained that rubbish at all!

Third time I've watched the documentary, first time I've noticed that one of the Officer Cadets used to go to my ATC Squadron when I was a Corporal. I was pretty surprised.

Could anyone believe how goddamn patient they were with all that nonsense? I mean the Commandant spoke to him and tried to passify him, there was mention of theology and everything! Me thinks that if one were joining up as a private or whatever, the SNCO's wouldn't have entertained that rubbish at all!
You aren't serving are you?

The leccy para was v.good - the rest went from middling to wtf are you doing in a uniform you ****.
Could just be underhand editing though. It would fit the BBC's agenda; show the working class electrician as an all around good bloke (not suggesting that he isn't) and the middle class POs as utter twats.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Could just be underhand editing though. It would fit the BBC's agenda; show the working class electrician as an all around good bloke (not suggesting that he isn't) and the middle class POs as utter twats.

Indeed. The ex-electrician para failed PRACTAC (something only 5% of cadets manage) but somehow that missed the final cut.

I disagree that it's just the BBC's agenda though. Sandhurst is always looking to shed it's public school image so I imagine Academy HQ were only too willing to guide the BBC toward their targets of choice.

Where they any good? Would you be happy being led by them?

They never really took it seriously back then, but people change. From what I hear he signed up and went to Bosnia after leaving cadets, then came back, did Uni and then Sandhurst. I can imagine he had a pretty big advantage over the other Officer Cadets at the field tasks thanks to that, too. I suppose I'd be happy to be led by them from an experience standpoint, but there might be a bit of friction thanks to me once being his NCO.

The programme was made about the intake above mine and I've heard a few stories about the Beeb 'encouraging' certain things, such as a photo of Baroness Thatcher to be put up... judge for yourself.

They never really took it seriously back then, but people change. From what I hear he signed up and went to Bosnia after leaving cadets, then came back, did Uni and then Sandhurst. I can imagine he had a pretty big advantage over the other Officer Cadets at the field tasks thanks to that, too. I suppose I'd be happy to be led by them from an experience standpoint, but there might be a bit of friction thanks to me once being his NCO.
So you think there may be a problem because you both went to cadets together? Stop spouting crap

Latest Threads