Sandhurst cock up?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Various people on here from both his RMAS company and latterly the RAC have suggested that he was slightly misrepresented in that program (or at least they selectively presented the information to make it seem worse than it was), and subsequently did well.

This doesn't make the selection system any less morally bankrupt.
A ‘system’ that allows such misrepresentation on national TV just reinforces that bankruptcy.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A ‘system’ that allows such misrepresentation on national TV just reinforces that bankruptcy.
I'm not sure they chose or had any control over that, but yes, as I've said previously, the fact they didn't see that trap coming a thousand miles away and instead let the cameras into the bloody room (it's clear that plenty of Regts/Corps did not) suggests they were at a minimum desperately out of touch.

Although that they didn't spot any of this also indicates plain naivete rather than deliberate moral dumpster diving. I wonder how many just think of themselves as jolly nice chaps and don't see why anyone would think otherwise. Not many of the younger cadre, certainly, but among the older decision-makers?

CharleyBourne

War Hero
If memory serves me right and i'm thinking of the right bloke, it was edited quite badly in terms of how he looked and in the end he was quite highly regarded once at his unit
Glad to hear that as he seemed like quite a self-effacing type despite the obvious priviliege (sorry, comp ed.) and felt sorry that he was plastered all over the telly. Hope they released it a while after he joined his regt to give him a fair chance.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder how many just think of themselves as jolly nice chaps and don't see why anyone would think otherwise. Not many of the younger cadre, certainly, but among the older decision-makers?
I’d agree - I expect Patrick Marriott thought it was quite a wheeze.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’d agree - I expect Patrick Marriott thought it was quite a wheeze.
Given that:

a) He thought showing off the pigs was endearing.
b) He thought playing enthusiastically with his toy cannon while the cadets did the log race was endearing.
c) After spending double figure years in the Army, he still thinks that "Jack" is a proper noun to be used in the form "every cadet will find himself in Jack's place" rather than understanding it is a verb "to jack"...

...I didn't come out with a resounding faith in Patrick Marriott's understanding of anyone under his command. This may be unfair, I don't know the man, but he seemed like a clown. Although slightly less unfair: he had been a seniorish officer for the best part of a decade of our media-embedded operations, if he hadn't yet worked out the basic rule we all understood on about Day 2, that you don't let them point the camera at stuff you don't want to end up on camera, then either he's a moron or he wanted, even if not in totality, to be portrayed that way.

Although at least he wasn't responsible for the abject failure to properly man or defend the perimeter of the largest British operating base in recent history! Commandant of Sandhurst, best of the best, eh?

Last edited:

CharleyBourne

War Hero
Various people on here from both his RMAS company and latterly the RAC have suggested that he was slightly misrepresented in that program (or at least they selectively presented the information to make it seem worse than it was), and subsequently did well.

Was it made by the completely impartial on matters of race, class etc BBC by any chance?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Although at least he wasn't responsible for the abject failure to properly man or defend the perimeter of the largest British operating base in recent history! Commandant of Sandhurst, best of the best, eh?
I couldn't possibly comment. I can also neither confirm nor deny that my POR laid bare those deficiencies two years before the attack and that a copy of said POR may or may not still be available to me.

Allegedly.

I couldn't possibly comment. I can also neither confirm nor deny that my POR laid bare those deficiencies two years before the attack and that a copy of said POR may or may not still be available to me.

Allegedly.

Surely Mark Francois is your man for that kind of thing...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Allegedly.
Allegedly, neither could several of the CISU OCs during that period, including the one directly writing reports for that command team during that tour.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Allegedly, neither could several of the CISU OCs during that period, including the one directly writing reports for that command team during that tour.
Got a stiff ignoring.

It's 'slipper city' so nobody gave a ****. Same as Lisburn - my old office got vapourised there, just not by the Taliban.

There, in a nutshell, is the impact of centuries of G3 snobbery.

Got a stiff ignoring.

It's 'slipper city' so nobody gave a ****. Same as Lisburn - my old office got vapourised there, just not by the Taliban.

There, in a nutshell, is the impact of centuries of G3 snobbery.
Indeed. Having witnessed first hand a couple of dozen brigade and div comds over the years, if the Russians had ever bothered their arses we would have been royally fckued.

generally speaking thoroughly nice and clubable types (stand fast the gunners, green Howards and the fcking belter 17/21st bloke who commanded 1 Div) but had the shit hit the fan…….

To rake over old coals, a lot of chickens came home to to roost on Granby (add RTR to previous list).

Allan74

Old-Salt
Have a stepson at RMA Sandhurst at present. they were taken on as cadets at the beginning of the year- but now find opportunities in the teeth RAC regiments and Footguards have all but evaporated- 16 chasing 1 place in Hcav, 9 after 2 places SCots DG, 80 chasing 20 places in gunners(!). morale is very low. it looks like RMA took on more cadets than there were places in popular regiments- the possibility therefore exists for all these guys to pass out and then resign shortly afterwards there being no space in their chosen Regmts.

apparently the problem stems in part for the Regmts taking on more cadets than their allocation the intake before as they were worried about Covid affecting training.

it is all very well saying the Army must change to become a sort of GCHQ with BFT, combating cyber warfare but that is not what these guys join up for.
Might it be, that the chap's first choice of outfits don't think the chaps will fit in or being more cynical, the Army has apparently done what major organisations do: perhaps over promise and then worry about meeting the promises afterwards.

Allan74

Old-Salt
While it’s true that RN logs officers are the boss for all the slop jockeys and stewards, they’re also responsible for operational law and manage the entire budget for the ship.

It’s highly subscribed for a few reasons:

1. There aren’t very many of them. (2 on a frigate or destroyer compared to 10 plus Warfare officers).

2. Lots of very good opportunities for foreign shore drafts and embassy type shit.

3. Very good opportunities outside the RN in business and or law.

4. The job onboard is a complete doss compared to a Warfare officer who will be watchkeeping and doing all manner of other shit.
I wonder if point 3. is the biggest attraction.

He was a fool for agreeing to be featured in the documentary. If I was at Sandhurst, or a training depot, I'd want to keep my head down and stay well out of the limelight.

I'm surprised that the MOD didn't exert some editorial control over the final version of the film and protect the Cadets.

Latest Threads