Sandhurst BBC programme

The one thing I thought a bit unfair about that series was OCdt Harbord. He really didn’t seem to do too well, and the Comdt kept him for another term. When 2Lt/Lt Harbord then goes/went to his regiment, his blokes will have seen that he wasn’t that strong of a candidate. Not even bottom third, he didn’t pass out with his intake despite passing the tests etc. The Comdt just didn’t think he was up to it at that point.

If that unit had then gone out on Ops, it’s a bit disconcerting to think that one’s Tp OC was thought of in that light. It would have been fine if they showed him as a weak candidate, then built up by the system to where he needed to be, but that didn’t seem to be the case. Just an on-screen sentence to basically say “he made it a term later”. They should have been fair to him and showed him nailing the final exercise and passing off three months later. I just thought it unfair to him and his future blokes.

I reckon within 15 mins of HM meeting his troop, they’d have judged him as they found him - not least because I imagine the programme came out 12 months after he passed out.

By all accounts his troops rated him. All were fairly quick to see through the rather selectively edited version from the documentary

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The one thing I thought a bit unfair about that series was OCdt Harbord. He really didn’t seem to do too well, and the Comdt kept him for another term. When 2Lt/Lt Harbord then goes/went to his regiment, his blokes will have seen that he wasn’t that strong of a candidate. Not even bottom third, he didn’t pass out with his intake despite passing the tests etc. The Comdt just didn’t think he was up to it at that point.

If that unit had then gone out on Ops, it’s a bit disconcerting to think that one’s Tp OC was thought of in that light. It would have been fine if they showed him as a weak candidate, then built up by the system to where he needed to be, but that didn’t seem to be the case. Just an on-screen sentence to basically say “he made it a term later”. They should have been fair to him and showed him nailing the final exercise and passing off three months later. I just thought it unfair to him and his future blokes.

I thought much the same, but hopefully his Tp Sgt had him well under control by the time the show aired on telly. My feeling was that the story was "Council estate lad does well and gets into Para Reg, privately educated chap struggles but gets into a posh reg eventually".

In 2016 I was working in the UAE, Fujairah, for a few days. I was installing a bit of kit in the private gym of the son of the ruler. I didn't meet the prince, only his chap, who was Ugandan. Chatting away over a brew I asked him how he came to be working for the prince. He told me that they met at Sandhurst. It turns out that the two of them were on the same course but weren't shown. They were in C/Sgt Vezza's platoon.

Indeed I wonder how many of those who featured in that programme had the opportunity of going on tour? Eldrige did according to the programme and linkedin suggests Stewart (the scottish lad who got in trouble for whipping his cock out) has?
Most of them have probably racked up an Op Tour somewhere, unless in a teeth arms unit that through the rotation missed out on a Herrick in the 2012-15 period.

Unfortunately Thompson would have missed out on a Herrick as he commissioned just after the paras last tour (H13) ended, unless he got his boots sandy elsewhere.

Most of them have probably racked up an Op Tour somewhere, unless in a teeth arms unit that through the rotation missed out on a Herrick in the 2012-15 period.

Unfortunately Thompson would have missed out on a Herrick as he commissioned just after the paras last tour (H13) ended, unless he got his boots sandy elsewhere.
2 and 3 para have been doing rotations of toral this year. A mate of mine who's 3 para says they've been doing 3 month tours to get as many people If He's 1 para I suspect he'll have done a tour too...

I reckon within 15 mins of HM meeting his troop, they’d have judged him as they found him - not least because I imagine the programme came out 12 months after he passed out.

Let us all be in no doubt, a film crew could film any of us on any course and either make us look like either Buzz Aldrin or Mr Bean, with about 20 mins of selective editing, dependent upon what their agenda was.

About six weeks before I think. I'm not sure RMAS acquitted themselves well with that documentary.

Couldn't agree more. I have always gone very deep and very silent whenever film crews have been around.

The fact that I have a face for radio and the body of a God (Buddha) might have something to do with this.

2 and 3 para have been doing rotations of toral this year. A mate of mine who's 3 para says they've been doing 3 month tours to get as many people If He's 1 para I suspect he'll have done a tour too...

Yes, but there are still those who state that if you didn’t do a Herrick you’re not a proper soldier, even if it involved filling ISO containers in Bastion towards the end.

Let us all be in no doubt, a film crew could film any of us on any course and either make us look like either Buzz Aldrin or Mr Bean, with about 20 mins of selective editing, dependent upon what their agenda was.

According to Jim30, they can make you look a right fat **** as well.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more. I have always gone very deep and very silent whenever film crews have been around.

The fact that I have a face for radio and the body of a God (Buddha) might have something to do with this.
It’s the telly! TV makes everything look good for TV. 40 hours of footage might make 40 mins of TV. The industry takes care of it.
Thats TV! Your hilarious asides to the camera will be replaced by some actor you have never heard of. For the telly.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes, but there are still those who state that if you didn’t do a Herrick you’re not a proper soldier, even if it involved filling ISO containers in Bastion towards the end.
Total awareness this is two years too late, but for posterity, someone should point out that if you can fill in an isocontainer, you can definitely fill in a person. Isocontainers weigh a ton and are made of metal: so that's basically taking on a superhero who weighs more than ten times you do, which is like a baby beating up Mike Tyson. Anyone who did that is a genuine lad and deserves all the bragging rights.

PS Not exactly sure what the criteria for killing an isocontainer are, but you can kill a tree and they aren't exactly animate, so it must be possible. Fully earned ribbon rosette imo, heroes all.

Holy thread revival batman, etc etc. Believe it or not, it is coming up to 10 years since that intake carried ironing boards into old college.

I would think, slightly depressingly, that most of that intake have now left the army for pastures new.

I hope this doesn’t compromise PerSec but based on a quick google it looks like the Para-electrician Thompson is still in but Eldridge and Harbord are out. Harbord seemed to do a lot of ceremonial with HCMR and based on a few dits from those that knew him was pretty well thought of.
Saw an article referencing his name as of 2017 suggests he’s a major?

Most of the OGs are on LinkedIn if you look hard enough. Major Lyttle, Captain Guthrie, Eldridge, Axford, Harbord, Stewart… all there