Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandhurst advice

Hi, I am in my first year of A level studies and am currently undergoing my RMAS application (for the scholarship/bursary scheme).
I am pretty set on attending RMAS and serving in the Army long term, however it is early days and I am aware of the demanding entry standards. With around a year to prepare for AOSB ect I am really keen to gain any insight/advice on how I can best prepare myself physically for this challenge (I am a keen runner/swimmer so I am relatively fit but nothing too impressive). I just feel I would be dumb not to take advantage of the preparation time as best as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
Hi, I am in my first year of A level studies and am currently undergoing my RMAS application (for the scholarship/bursary scheme).
I am pretty set on attending RMAS and serving in the Army long term, however it is early days and I am aware of the demanding entry standards. With around a year to prepare for AOSB ect I am really keen to gain any insight/advice on how I can best prepare myself physically for this challenge (I am a keen runner/swimmer so I am relatively fit but nothing too impressive). I just feel I would be dumb not to take advantage of the preparation time as best as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best advice I can offer is:

(1) Go for it. The AOSS does not count as one of your two AOSB attempts so there is nothing to lose. And if you pass they will give you money.
(2) Find the AOSB planning exercises book on the internet and get good at this stuff: if you can do the PlanEx really well you are in the game.
(3) Physically the demands are not too challenging at this stage - you have to be able to run at a tolerable (frankly pretty low) standard and at the Board you will need to really throw yourself into the Obstacle Course but it's as much mental as physical.
(4) Good luck and enjoy.

Best advice I can offer is:

(1) Go for it. The AOSS does not count as one of your two AOSB attempts so there is nothing to lose. And if you pass they will give you money.
(2) Find the AOSB planning exercises book on the internet and get good at this stuff: if you can do the PlanEx really well you are in the game.
(3) Physically the demands are not too challenging at this stage - you have to be able to run at a tolerable (frankly pretty low) standard and at the Board you will need to really throw yourself into the Obstacle Course but it's as much mental as physical.
(4) Good luck and enjoy.
Brilliant thank you so much for that, really helpful

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks, SM.

My daughter had a go at an Army Scholarship. It's a very useful experience but be aware many people apply with few scholarships available..

There's two useful videos on the Army/MOD website about AOSB. The physical pass standard is actually fairly low. Remember that you are not in competition with the other applicants, AOSB is to see if you have potential and you simply need to meet a standard. The ability to be self-confident, to have a good understanding of current international and military affairs, to be able to analyse a situation and to plan a solution and the ability to work in a team, encouraging others in your syndicate. All these help. My son went through the whole nine yards and is now commissioned.

Good luck.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just listened to this - excellent stuff.

I have been on the (wrong) end of an interview-without-coffee from this officer and he was as outstanding then as I would think he is now.

He gives outstanding speeches at Sandbags without notes.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just for interest this is what a Covid secure Commissioning Parade looks like. The short course for AR, Regular PQOs and UOTC types plus about a dozen from other countries, yesterday morning:

Thanks, SM.

My daughter had a go at an Army Scholarship. It's a very useful experience but be aware many people apply with few scholarships available..

There's two useful videos on the Army/MOD website about AOSB. The physical pass standard is actually fairly low. Remember that you are not in competition with the other applicants, AOSB is to see if you have potential and you simply need to meet a standard. The ability to be self-confident, to have a good understanding of current international and military affairs, to be able to analyse a situation and to plan a solution and the ability to work in a team, encouraging others in your syndicate. All these help. My son went through the whole nine yards and is now commissioned.

Good luck.
Nice one, BL.
Cracking answer for the OP.

Latest Threads