Sand coloured paint.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have we run out of sand coloured paint or has it been decided that camouflaging vehicles, helicopters and equipment has no purpose in assymetric warfare?

A few examples:
    Afghanistan.

[​IMG]
    (According to MOD this is in Afghanistan although I thought Iraq more likely due to operational ceiling)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Iraq:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Or we don't have the funds...

3. why waste paint and time it dont make you bullet proof and you can still see the hele,vehc.ect..

4. I used dust on my WMIKs in Afghan. Just painted them, then threw dust on the wet paint. It was quite effective. Exactly the same colour as the surroundings.

5. I used sand-coloured tape on everything ...

wah

6. you could just drive the vehicles along muddy roads and not wash them down for the whole winter season as was done by my guys in Afghan. It was difficult to find the wagons we were assigned at times as the mud was so thick on the number plates...

7. Green or sand paint though?
    I pity the poor sod who has to rub them down for a repaint when they come back!

8. It was pink paint mixed with white. It's all we could purchase off the locals. The WMIKs were taken over by the Marines so i guess it's their problem now! :thumright:

9. Given that most units rotate through with kit every 6 months why bother?
    I asked many moons ago why a set of kit did not stay in theatre and units hand it over etc - answer simple it will all get buggered as no one would care about it - so everyone takes their own and paints it if they can get the paint.

Some vehicles must be on their 3rd or 4th layer of sand or green paint by now - still it protects the Ali from rust I guess :) (and that was a pun by the way!)

Cheers

10. I bet it doesn't :D

11. Incidentally, you can get sand-coloured paint by filtering the green, brown and black components out of normal DPM paint. A field expedient filter can be made from an issue green wooly sock.

Hope this helps.

FB

12. Where do I find this DPM paint?

Do I have to ask a young Pte to go and get it from the Qm stores?

13. it in the QM'S next to the tartan!!

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's usually in the stores on the left of the piles of short weights, long weights, right-angled screwdrivers and Full-Metal SAS Smocks.

Edited to add: Under the sky-hooks in the ceiling.

15. Is it near the glass hammers?