Sand coloured paint.

Have we run out of sand coloured paint or has it been decided that camouflaging vehicles, helicopters and equipment has no purpose in assymetric warfare?

A few examples:
Afghanistan.

(According to MOD this is in Afghanistan although I thought Iraq more likely due to operational ceiling)

Iraq:

why waste paint and time it dont make you bullet proof and you can still see the hele,vehc.ect..

you could just drive the vehicles along muddy roads and not wash them down for the whole winter season as was done by my guys in Afghan. It was difficult to find the wagons we were assigned at times as the mud was so thick on the number plates...

Fallschirmjager said:
I used dust on my WMIKs in Afghan. Just painted them, then threw dust on the wet paint. It was quite effective. Exactly the same colour as the surroundings.
Green or sand paint though?
I pity the poor sod who has to rub them down for a repaint when they come back!

Given that most units rotate through with kit every 6 months why bother?
I asked many moons ago why a set of kit did not stay in theatre and units hand it over etc - answer simple it will all get buggered as no one would care about it - so everyone takes their own and paints it if they can get the paint.

Some vehicles must be on their 3rd or 4th layer of sand or green paint by now - still it protects the Ali from rust I guess :) (and that was a pun by the way!)

Cheers

Baz44 said:
Given that most units rotate through with kit every 6 months why bother?
I asked many moons ago why a set of kit did not stay in theatre and units hand it over etc - answer simple it will all get buggered as no one would care about it - so everyone takes their own and paints it if they can get the paint.

Some vehicles must be on their 3rd or 4th layer of sand or green paint by now - still it protects the Ali from rust I guess :) (and that was a pun by the way!)

Cheers
I bet it doesn't :D

Where do I find this DPM paint?

Do I have to ask a young Pte to go and get it from the Qm stores?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
bobath said:
Where do I find this DPM paint?

Do I have to ask a young Pte to go and get it from the Qm stores?
It's usually in the stores on the left of the piles of short weights, long weights, right-angled screwdrivers and Full-Metal SAS Smocks.

Edited to add: Under the sky-hooks in the ceiling.

Is it near the glass hammers?

Not any more. There was an unfortunate incident where a box of Glass Hammers was crushed by a falling pallet of cans of DPM Paint. The Glass Hammers didn't survive.

The Glass Hammers are now stored next to the Buckets of Steam. The DPM Paint is near the Spirit Level Bubbles (Round). Sadly, some sprog dropped the bag of Spirit level Bubbles (Square) and knocked all the corners off. The Bubbles have been recycled and are now rebagged as Spirit Level Bubbles (Round).

Just down from the left handed paint brushes and fallopian tubes.

Apparently you need to have your NBC ID (ID10T) before you can draw DPM paint from the stores due to its contaiminated air content.

bobath said:
Is it near the glass hammers?
THis probably belongs in th elamp and sandbag. The son of a big wig in pilkington was on work experience at vehs and weapons branch in Chertsey when asked by smirking squaddie to go to stores for glass hammer as the had something delicate that needed battering. Son gets on blower to dad that afternoon securicor bloke turns up with glass hammer (which worked) morale be careful what you request you might get it :)