San Francisco honours Martin McGuinness

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hah! I can assure you the government of the city of San Francisco is in no way representative of all "septics."
So you're not all hophead, gender-fluid,* rabid anti-gunners fawning over a mass murderess** ?

* No, I don't understand the phrase either.

** Allegedly. I'm not yet in a cell and have no intention of "suicide."

So you're not all hophead, gender-fluid,* rabid anti-gunners fawning over a mass murderess** ?

* No, I don't understand the phrase either.

** Allegedly. I'm not yet in a cell and have no intention of "suicide."
No, and we don't provide our tourists with crap maps (and no, I don't mean bad maps but rather actual maps where the human crap is in the city) or a 1984-esque doublespeak dictionary to avoid referring to criminals as such. ;-)

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Mayor of San Francisco to cabinet - “It’s pride week again, our favourite time of year, we need to add someone to the hall of fame, sort it out intern”

Intern - “Alexa, name a famous bummer”

Alexa “Famous bombers include Martin McGuinness....”

Intern - “Martin McGuinness, that’ll do, thanks Alexa”

Mike Barton

War Hero
All of which, and much more was vigorously opposed by Joe Kennedy, father of JF and US Ambassador to London.

That’d be Joe who hated the Brits on the back of his Plastic Paddy heritage and who made his fortune bootlegging during Prohibition.
Oddly enough I remember reading a book that was absolutely scathing in its revelations about Ol' Joe and which did not shrink from revealing all sorts of chicanery he was up to but on one point the author was adamant, Joe Kennedy was not a bootlegger during Prohibition. He made a fortune cornering the market in whiskey distribution licenses as Prohibition appeared to be coming to an end but during Prohibition he was not a bootlegger. Kennedy made his fortune in much bigger scams than smuggling hooch, which was beneath his level.

Oddly enough I remember reading a book that was absolutely scathing in its revelations about Ol' Joe and which did not shrink from revealing all sorts of chicanery he was up to but on one point the author was adamant, Joe Kennedy was not a bootlegger during Prohibition. He made a fortune cornering the market in whiskey distribution licenses as Prohibition appeared to be coming to an end but during Prohibition he was not a bootlegger. Kennedy made his fortune in much bigger scams than smuggling hooch, which was beneath his level.
Wasn't only Joe Kennedy, Charles Lindbergh also tried to put the boot in. IIRC there was also a couple of US Navy Admirals who wouldn't give us the time of day.

Which begs the question:- If Joe Kennedy was so anti British, WTF was he doing in the UK as a liaison between the USA and the British government?
Wallis Simpson's controller, as well as cucking King Edward with her (just chucking a grassy knoll in there)

And yet the US Navy was sinking U Boats prior to Pearl Harbour.
Here is why

In September 1941, USS Greer, in a neutral zone in the Atlantic, was fired on by an unidentified U-Boat. The incident prompted President Roosevelt to declare that German and Italian vessels found in those zones would be attacked. On 31st October 1941, near Iceland, USS Reuben James, in company with four other US Navy destroyers, was torpedoed and cut in two by U-552 and the crew abandoned ship. Many of the deaths of Reuben James crew are attributed to the vessels own depth charges which had not been made-safe in the confusion, and detonated as the stern half sank.
U-Boats attacking US warships and merchant vessels months before the US entered the war.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Wasn't only Joe Kennedy, Charles Lindbergh also tried to put the boot in. IIRC there was also a couple of US Navy Admirals who wouldn't give us the time of day.
The Admiral you are thinking of is Ernest King, an out and out Anglophobe who steadfastly refused to take any advice from the Royal Navy, who had after all accrued a fair bit of hard-won experience fighting U-boats in the two years before the Septics got involved.

He would not institute convoys or even to insist on a blackout of towns along the US Gulf coast leading to the U-boats' "second happy time" as they gleefully sank dozens of US ships, two million tons in January and February 1942 alone.

King's pig-headness led to the loss of dozens of ships, thousands of tons of supplies and hundreds of US sailors at a time when they were all desperately needed.

The Admiral you are thinking of is Ernest King, an out and out Anglophobe who steadfastly refused to take any advice from the Royal Navy, who had after all accrued a fair bit of hard-won experience fighting U-boats in the two years before the Septics got involved.

He would not institute convoys or even to insist on a blackout of towns along the US Gulf coast leading to the U-boats' "second happy time" as they gleefully sank dozens of US ships, two million tons in January and February 1942 alone.

King's pig-headness led to the loss of dozens of ships, thousands of tons of supplies and hundreds of US sailors at a time when they were all desperately needed.
In his defense, most of his biographers indicate he was an irascible man who seemed to dislike everyone. He has been described as one of those characters in history who looks ok from a distance but not so much up close. ;-)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
In his defense, most of his biographers indicate he was an irascible man who seemed to dislike everyone. He has been described as one of those characters in history who looks ok from a distance but not so much up close. ;-)
I’d suggest that there are far shorter and more accurate descriptions of him.

Rare film footage shows Martin McGuinness (right) present as a car bomb is assembled.

1567756438213.png

Bet the people of San Francisco probably thought he was checking over the Domino's pizza delivery?

Hah! I can assure you the government of the city of San Francisco is in no way representative of all "septics."
If it was the country would have bum-holed itself to death decades ago.