San Francisco honours Martin McGuinness

I love the states, especially the non-tourist places like WY and ID, but some of the state’eneese are, I’m afraid to say, so utterly fooked up, that it beggars belief.

Their willingness to follow several variants of some very unpleasant ideals like sheep, I find astounding. Even big government institutions such as the police (Boston and NY on paddies day) openly collecting money for ‘the cause’, sickens me.

They are the self proclaimed leaders of the free world. Firstly, they don’t lead me and secondly, there’s no such thing as a free world.

Back to my panini and latte....rant over.

I love the states, especially the non-tourist places like WY and ID, but some of the state’eneese are, I’m afraid to say, so utterly fooked up, that it beggars belief.

Their willingness to follow several variants of some very unpleasant ideals like sheep, I find astounding. Even big government institutions such as the police (Boston and NY on paddies day) openly collecting money for ‘the cause’, sickens me.

They are the self proclaimed leaders of the free world. Firstly, they don’t lead me and secondly, there’s no such thing as a free world.

I wouldn’t go that far. Much of the world is not worth a side glance, yet alone wanting to lead that mob. Whom half would wind up disappearing in forest or prairie. America first means I don’t have to worry about everybody else, and can just enjoy being alone.

Really, you would rather the Nazi's had won WWII, or the Soviets won the Cold War.
Putin's such a nice chap after all.
China, now that is a wonderful place to live.
Nobodies perfect, but there are some very unpleasant leaders in this world.

....and thank you for your contribution to WW2,......... Lease lend,.... D-Day.......manning the IGB...Etc.

My bold.. I would have given a like for that except for the bolded bit. Britain only finished paying for that in 2006 and the cost was much more than just $'s, it included us giving virtually all our key discoveries such as Jet propulsion, radar, computer technology etc, etc, free to the USA. It also gave the USA free access to many of our colonial ports & installations and a tacit agreement to give independence asap after the war, to virtually all of our colonial possessions.

My bold.. I would have given a like for that except for the bolded bit. Britain only finished paying for that in 2006 and the cost was much more than just $'s, it included us giving virtually all our key discoveries such as Jet propulsion, radar, computer technology etc, etc, free to the USA. It also gave the USA free access to many of our colonial ports & installations and a tacit agreement to give independence asap after the war, to virtually all of our colonial possessions.

....I am very aware of the huge price paid,...... and the alternative was?........

Really, you would rather the Nazi's had won WWII, or the Soviets won the Cold War.
Putin's such a nice chap after all.
China, now that is a wonderful place to live.
Nobodies perfect, but there are some very unpleasant leaders in this world.

It’s debatably that the NAZIS would have won WW2 if the US hadn’t come to the party (very late). It’s worth considering that until Pearl Harbour, the US was happy to watch Europe burn. The US then decided to get involved. They were also the only country that actually made a profit from WW2.

As for the Cold War, that came to an end as a result of the people’s bravery, especially in Poland. That was a Warsaw Pact version of the Arab Spring. Would Europe have really been overrun by Soviet forces if the US hadn’t been there? We’ll never know, but I very much doubt it.

And whilst we’re on the subject, was the Warsaw Pact such a bad thing? It brought a high degree of stability to a part of the world that seems to enjoy a bit of industrial level slaughter every 50 years or so. I concede that person liberties and freedoms were not good, but who knows how that would have turned out. No one. It’s all guess work and what ifs.

As for unpleasant and potentially unstable leaders who lack credibility, how is Mr Trump these days?

It’s debatably that the NAZIS would have won WW2 if the US hadn’t come to the party (very late). It’s worth considering that until Pearl Harbour, the US was happy to watch Europe burn. The US then decided to get involved. They were also the only country that actually made a profit from WW2.

As for the Cold War, that came to an end as a result of the people’s bravery, especially in Poland. That was a Warsaw Pact version of the Arab Spring. Would Europe have really been overrun by Soviet forces if the US hadn’t been there? We’ll never know, but I very much doubt it.

And whilst we’re on the subject, was the Warsaw Pact such a bad thing? It brought a high degree of stability to a part of the world that seems to enjoy a bit of industrial level slaughter every 50 years or so. I concede that person liberties and freedoms were not good, but who knows how that would have turned out. No one. It’s all guess work and what ifs.

As for unpleasant and potentially unstable leaders who lack credibility, how is Mr Trump these days?
There is no pint in arguing against that post. it is wrong in every count.

I wouldn’t go that far. Much of the world is not worth a side glance, yet alone wanting to lead that mob. Whom half would wind up disappearing in forest or prairie. America first means I don’t have to worry about everybody else, and can just enjoy being alone.
And don’t get me started on ‘The Special Relationship’ nonsense.

I once listened to a fantastic political speech given to the press and in front of POTUS at a press conference at Downing St. It openly said something like, ‘the US are bullies and they should therefore expect a strong response’.

Unfortunately, the PM was Hugh Grant and it was in the film Love Actually, but I did cheer the words and sentiment....much to the surprise of the other 200 people in the cinema :)

....I am very aware of the huge price paid,...... and the alternative was?........
My bold .. difficult to know, if we hadn't reacted to the Polish invasion by Germany, possibly Hitler would have concentrated on his wish for Eastern "lebensraum" and left the West alone, eventually getting twatted by the Soviets with little need for our intervention. One of those things we'll never know.
Sadly the USA despite us fighting since 1939 did not wish to get really involved for over 2 years apart from getting some useful business from us for food & war materials and were only forced to by the Japanese attack on PH to join in. After the war began in Europe in 1939, people in the Americas were divided on whether their countries should take part or stay out. Most Americans hoped the Allies would win, but they also hoped to keep the United States out of war. The isolationists, wanted the country to stay out of the war at almost any cost.
Indeed the large group of Americans of German origin formed the German American Bund who were very active in trying to support the Nazi's until after the PH attack.

And don’t get me started on ‘The Special Relationship’ nonsense.

I once listened to a fantastic political speech given to the press and in front of POTUS at a press conference at Downing St. It openly said something like, ‘the US are bullies and they should therefore expect a strong response’.

Unfortunately, the PM was Hugh Grant and it was in the film Love Actually, but I did cheer the words and sentiment....much to the surprise of the other 200 people in the cinema :)
Many of you folks are more likeable than others. Out here you represent yourselves well, unlike say the Russians or Chinese. The problem is that America has many factions on how to deal with foreign policy. None of which is pleasing to the outside world.

My bold .. difficult to know, if we hadn't reacted to the Polish invasion by Germany, possibly Hitler would have concentrated on his wish for Eastern "lebensraum" and left the West alone, eventually getting twatted by the Soviets with little need for our intervention. One of those things we'll never know.
Sadly the USA despite us fighting since 1939 did not wish to get really involved for over 2 years apart from getting some useful business from us for food & war materials and were only forced to by the Japanese attack on PH to join in. After the war began in Europe in 1939, people in the Americas were divided on whether their countries should take part or stay out. Most Americans hoped the Allies would win, but they also hoped to keep the United States out of war. The isolationists, wanted the country to stay out of the war at almost any cost.
Indeed the large group of Americans of German origin formed the German American Bund who were very active in trying to support the Nazi's until after the PH attack.
And of course JFK's father remained pro Nazi all along.

Don't forget my granny. She was well used by Americans during the war.