San Francisco honours Martin McGuinness

Interesting how quickly some in the US forget what terrorist are isn’t it.

Wonder what would happen if us in the UK, started having a whipp round for some of the US mass murderers and we gave their head honcho the freedom of Milton Keynes

I liked Belfast - even though I only ever spent a weekend or so there - and it was the middle of the summer, sunny and people were all cheerful and nice. Drove down from there to Dublin and back again, stopping on the way for an Eminem concert. I didn't even have to take my passport - CTA in effect, though, I may have allegedly been illegal entering ROI - didn't realize at the time till I got on the plane and said, oh f! . Good old times!

To be fair the Simpsons did accurately predict Trump as POTUS
I've always found Homer to be the font of all knowledge:

The problem is most Americans know jack shit about our own history and even less about anybody else’s.

The other problem is that the folks my age and younger in Europe/Japan/South Korea seem to have forgotten the tragedy that was WW2 and the Korean War. We have as well. Which makes the seperarion of our respective societies easier, and we are great at loving Splendid Isolationism.
It's certainly a global issue. And it's very frightening, particularly if the lessons of history will have to be relearned the hard way. A lot of young people don't understand what communism was and the threat that it posed and still poses. It's still going strong I reckon (but re-branded with politically correct hype and newspeak). I live in Australia now and we have the same ignorance and disinformation issues here with the same leftist ideology at the back of it. These days, I'm more anxious about this insidiously totalitarian enemy within than the threat posed by terrorism. A lot of young people are not awake up to the brainwashing that's going on. An IRA terrorist commandant getting a posthumous thank you for his 'service' is just one example on your side of the pond from the UK.

It's even worse, of course, in full-on, totalitarian commie-capitalist states like Viet Nam. A South Vietnamese acquaintance told me recently that young Vietnamese in the homeland have no idea what it was like during the war and its aftermath. It seems there is a generation gap in knowledge and personal experience that is almost impossible to bridge.

By the way, for a history of the relationship between the politically incorrect Ulster (Northern Irish) Scots and the US, you could do worse than read, Born Fighting by James Webb (a former Viet Nam veteran and US senator). Northern Ireland's history is morally ambiguous in terms of right and wrong, as many British veterans on this site could tell you. They were caught in the middle of a very ugly tribal conflict and I reckon they have never been properly appreciated for the job they did. However, on the plus side, and thanks to mass emigration from Ulster in the early days., we did endow America with (amongst other things) a national institution of which all Irish people may be justly proud.

AND HERE SHE IS--GOD BLESS HER!

Dolly1.jpg

And she knows how to honour genuinely 'courageous military service' as well. Good on you, Dolly!

Last edited:
Yes but I am talking about Plastic American Paddy Ireland. You know the ancestral homeland of all the Americanized Micks who yearn for the homeland they have no clue about. NI sounds like a complex place.
You're grand.

We have enough botheration with the hordes of itchy-jumper wearing American tourists clogging the streets; causing carnage on the roads in their hire cars; suicidal cycling on steep mountains; inability to drink more than two pints without puking; complaining that we're not grateful enough to see them back in their 'homeland'; taking 'souvenirs' from Bronze Age megalithic tombs; tramping across fields to pet Connemara ponies; vandalising turf stacks for selfies; ooohing and aaahing at anything more than fifty years old and finally "Say that again I love your accent".

Stay where you are, we'll be fine without you.

You're grand.

We have enough botheration with the hordes of itchy-jumper wearing American tourists clogging the streets; causing carnage on the roads in their hire cars; suicidal cycling on steep mountains; inability to drink more than two pints without puking; complaining that we're not grateful enough to see them back in their 'homeland'; taking 'souvenirs' from Bronze Age megalithic tombs; tramping across fields to pet Connemara ponies; vandalising turf stacks for selfies; ooohing and aaahing at anything more than fifty years old and finally "Say that again I love your accent".

Stay where you are, we'll be fine without you.
Sounds like a lame time. Going to Yellowstone is more of an adventure then the petting zoo trip you just described.

Sounds like a lame time. Going to Yellowstone is more of an adventure then the petting zoo trip you just described.
Yellowstone National Park would be a fun visit if it suddenly remembered, "Shit, I'm a supervolcano! BOOOM!"

Yellowstone National Park would be a fun visit if it suddenly remembered, "Shit, I'm a supervolcano! BOOOM!"
The Chinese/Japanese/ and my Fellow Americans ruin the trip. I just love it when some dumb motherfecker tries to go pet the bison. I pray to see them get gored and trampled. Or watch one walk Into a geyser or hot springs.

The worst thing in the world is watching people stop all traffic on a road for a Mulie...