San Francisco declares the NRA a domestic terrorist entity

Mattb

LE
That's why it's called "per 100k population" death rate...can you understand that term? It's not about the total number of people but by the death rate.
Indeed, but I think you've missed the point regarding small populations. Consider the extreme:
  • There's an average rate among a load of communities of 1 per 100,000.
  • Each community has a population of 100, and there are 1,000 of them.
  • In 2017, Community 47 had a murder, every other community didn't
  • Community 47 has a murder rate of 1000 per 100,000, every other community has a murder rate of 0.
See the issue? The statistics are true, but they don't really tell the entire story there. Maybe community 47 is far more dangerous, or maybe it won't have another murder for 999 years. The larger the sample, the more reliable the statistics.

@Anonymous Yank Wyoming has a population 10 times that of Greenland, but yes - the figures should still be taken with a slight pinch of salt, as you're presumably only looking at 35 or so murders which could easily be skewed by unusual events.

If we were to create say, a temporary state, where the population was perhaps 3, and the minority in the state defended himself vigorously against the majority to the point of their extermination, would that make the homicide rate 66.7%, or would that be 200%?

Obviously, the population is now 1, and zombies don't know they are dead yet.

Mattb

LE
If we were to create say, a temporary state, where the population was perhaps 3, and the minority in the state defended himself vigorously against the majority to the point of their extermination, would that make the homicide rate 66.7%, or would that be 200%?

Obviously, the population is now 1, and zombies don't know they are dead yet.
Good question, and depends whether you measure homicide by victims or perpetrators.

I’d say it was 67%, personally.

Good question, and depends whether you measure homicide by victims or perpetrators.

I’d say it was 67%, personally.
No. Homicide as a percentage of the population. Of course, I should have asked if it was at a rate of 66,667 per 100,000 or 200,000 per 100,000 so as not to confuse you.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
NRA was actually a pretty good organization to start off with and for most years was in favor of controls etc. but then started to became this sort of right wing lobby led by Lapierre for even the most basic controls like background checks for all sales.

I don't think anyone is trying to "take your guns" just the most basic laws put in place. And for the record, I don't think SF is right in trying to say the NRA is a terrorist org, that is complete crap.
False. When the anti-gun lobby led by the Brady group was demanding a nationwide 10 day waiting period for gun purchases there was no provision for background checks, just the waiting period (this was based on California's 15 day waiting period then in effect). The NRA was the one who lobbied for the background checks. They stated that a waiting period without some sort of check was ludicrous.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
According to Table 5 of the UCR, the Wyoming homicides per 100,000 in population is 2.6, California's is 4.6. Interestingly, Washington D.C. was 16.7. The actual numbers are 15 homicides in Wyoming, 1,830 in California and 116 in DC. 15 homicides compared to 1,830......

According to Table 5 of the UCR, the Wyoming homicides per 100,000 in population is 2.6, California's is 4.6. Interestingly, Washington D.C. was 16.7. The actual numbers are 15 homicides in Wyoming, 1,830 in California and 116 in DC. 15 homicides compared to 1,830......
I was just quoting CDC official government figures.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
As I've stated before, the CDC has had an anti-gun agenda for many years and has been found to skew their statistics to always overstate gun deaths. Something they don't do with vehicular deaths. It seems that those with an anti-gun agenda just look for the highest possible statistics without knowing the background of the numbers or source, and the CDC is generally the source.

As I've stated before, the CDC has had an anti-gun agenda for many years and has been found to skew their statistics to always overstate gun deaths. Something they don't do with vehicular deaths. It seems that those with an anti-gun agenda just look for the highest possible statistics without knowing the background of the numbers or source, and the CDC is generally the source.
I guess CDC is now #fakenews?

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
Not fake, just not totally reliable. When you Googled the info, why did you choose the CDC over the FBI's Uniform Crime Report? One is the Center for Disease Control (firearm deaths are a disease?) the other is a law enforcement entity that tracks crime statistics as a matter of necessity.

As if supporting crazy bernie is centrist.
Talking of ole Bernie.

It would seem that the Bernie Sanders campaign has brought Linda Sarsour onboard in another effort to shoot itself in the foot.

Most of what I've seen and heard about how 2020 is shaping up suggests that even a lot of the Democrats are not overly optimistic, since practically the entire lineup keeps pandering to the Far Left in the mistaken belief that the loudest voices are also the most representative ones.

The only non-Far-Leftist seems to be Joe Biden, who, ironically, is disliked by a lot of the Left for his centrism and for being an old white guy, both of which make him redundant next to Trump, anyway. It's still early, but things aren't looking so good for the Democrats. The Dem-friendly news networks decided to spend years running with the "Russian collusion" narrative as a way of avoiding reality, so they didn't really learn much of anything after 2016.

Talking of ole Bernie.

The only non-Far-Leftist seems to be Joe Biden, who, ironically, is disliked by a lot of the Left for his centrism and for being an old white guy, both of which make him redundant next to Trump, anyway.
73 vs. 76, nice. Not that I care. But the way it's going, dems are looking determined to lose.

I guess CDC is now #fakenews?
That really does depend a lot on who is head of the CDC as they are always political appointees. But yeah for the most part they are pretty anti gun.

73 vs. 76, nice. Not that I care. But the way it's going, dems are looking determined to lose.
The big difference being that the 73 year old (70 at the time) won.

Latest Threads