San Francisco declares the NRA a domestic terrorist entity

Interestingly the evening news yesterday said that this years number of firearms related deaths had topped 10,000 now.
If done correctly, suicide can be painless and instantaneous with a firearm as I hope most of those deaths were, sad though it is.

Last edited:
Prob a bit older than my old man. You both are of the agent orange era, and C rats! Which means you learned to write in cave painting!
Thanks for that son.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
So you made the same typo twice? 15,000 is total number of homicides, strangulation's, stabbings, all manner of homicide. Yes, the number of gun homicides is a great portion of that but if you figure 15,000 deaths by how many guns are here, not so much.
And I was being sarcastic about the checks, it was universally ignored then and seems to still be ignored, by all means, let's make it a national policy along with all the others that are on the books.

Mattb

LE
So you made the same typo twice?
Nope.

15,000 is total number of homicides, strangulation's, stabbings, all manner of homicide.
No it isn't. The most recent precise figure I can find (2017) lists 14,542 firearms homicides - which if you were to round to the nearest 1,000 is indeed "about 15,000". Total homicides were 19,510.

If done correctly, suicide can be painless and instantaneous with a firearm as I hope most of those deaths were, sad though it is.
As these chaps are pointing out,

suicide is painless mash theme with lyrics

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
Nope.

No it isn't. The most recent precise figure I can find (2017) lists 14,542 firearms homicides - which if you were to round to the nearest 1,000 is indeed "about 15,000". Total homicides were 19,510.
MIne for 2017, 16, 617, comes from the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Database, where do you get your data from?
Edited because I said Unified instead of Uniform, my bad.

Last edited:

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
Looking at other tables in the UCR, firearm homicides in the US accounted for 10,982 of the total (72.6%) and yes, handguns lead the way with 64% of firearm homicides. Interestingly, 403 were by rifle (approx 3.67%). The reason I mention this is that even if all of the homicides by rifle were by "Assault-type Weapons" that's a pretty low amount to get excited about. More people were killed by Blunt Objects (467) and by what the FBI calls Personal Weapons (Hands, fists, feet, Pushed to their death etc.) (696 deaths) than were killed by these "Assault-type Weapons.

Looking at other tables in the UCR, firearm homicides in the US accounted for 10,982 of the total (72.6%) and yes, handguns lead the way with 64% of firearm homicides. Interestingly, 403 were by rifle (approx 3.67%). The reason I mention this is that even if all of the homicides by rifle were by "Assault-type Weapons" that's a pretty low amount to get excited about. More people were killed by Blunt Objects (467) and by what the FBI calls Personal Weapons (Hands, fists, feet, Pushed to their death etc.) (696 deaths) than were killed by these "Assault-type Weapons.
Sadly, such facts have long been replaced by emotion that in turn has been crassly used by those with political/ideological agendas amplified by a complicit media.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
That's the God's honest truth sir. A statement I read recently, after the Midland, TX shooting, about "easily accessible firearms". Firearms have never been harder to access in our history than now. "Assault-type Weapons" have been readily available since the '60s and '70s when the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14 hit the commercial market. Much earlier if you count an M-1 Carbine in that category (large capacity magazines). For much of this nation's history, the only thing that prevented you from buying a gun was having the cash.

Nope.

FBI says 10,982 Firearms homicides for 2017

Further broken down
as Handguns-7,032
Shotguns-264
Rifles all types-403
Firearms, type not stated - 3,096
Other guns- 187

That's the God's honest truth sir. A statement I read recently, after the Midland, TX shooting, about "easily accessible firearms". Firearms have never been harder to access in our history than now. For much of this nation's history, the only thing that prevented you from buying a gun was having the cash.
In the early 1960's some NYC teens ordered a Lahti 20mm A/T rifle mailorder and used it to shoot across the Hudson river at abandoned buildings in New Jersey. Once the cops figured out what was being used they caught them when the teens ordered another case of 20mm

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
I did have to laugh at that. I read about a guy taking a shot at the UN from across the river with a bazooka sometime in the 60's as well.

Nomad1382

Old-Salt
Furthere checking of that database, the only times the US had homicide rates close to 25,000 was in the 90's during the crack/gang wars. '91 was worst with 24,703, with '93 close behind with 24,526. In the 20 year period of 1998-2017 (What the UCR calls a 20 year period) there has never been 20,000 homicides here.

Mattb

LE
MIne for 2017, 16, 617, comes from the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Database, where do you get your data from?
From the CDC - not sure what causes the discrepancy (perhaps the FBI stats count multiple murders as a single crime?)

Whatever the precise number, it’s still huge.

Latest Threads