Samsung Galaxy Fold... starting at 1980 USD... :(

Perhaps the most overpriced piece of crap to hit the market, for this price I can buy the same latest Alienware laptop I'm currently using as well as an up to date smart phone...

Of course the Note 8 I have doesn't fold... but with the processing power of this trinket below and the battery I don't see it lasting as long less than a day with full usage, more or less the same as the Note I use.

More of a status symbol or something for the gadget freaks, but it's here, and on general release on April 26...

Last edited:
For me, it's mental that phones are now more expensive than laptops - including Macs.
Actually they are quite good value for money and a reasonable smartphone can be picked up online for in the region £200-£300 and do alot, some of the ranges just over a year old.

It's just this whole fold thing is a gimmick.

Actually they are quite good value for money and a reasonable smartphone can be picked up online for in the region £200-£300 and do alot, some of the ranges just over a year old.

It's just this whole fold thing is a gimmick.
When an iPhone costs more than a Macbook pro, that's when I called them crazy,

Just add phone capabilities to a Microsoft Surface and it would be a damn site more useful

I can actually see the folding screen being a good idea in some situations, for example the software I teach also has a mobile app. It's designed for maintenance engineers it can include technical drawings, manuals etc. The issue we have is engineers want a big screen to view it on, but a small device to carry/fit into pockets/toolbags.
This would be an excellent compromise but not at that price.

4(T)

LE
I'd certainly like to see one - I'm very curious how they achieved a sharp fold in a screen.

I do admire the technology but, as a consumer, phones reached my features requirement (text, email, decent screen, usable camera, cloud storage) over a decade ago.

My old (and second hand) Samsung Galaxy S2 only recently died and was replaced by a cheapo Samsung (second hand) A3. I won't be buying a new phone any time soon...

I'd like to see this technology ramped up in size, if they could make a decent size for running a presentation on. If we could fold or roll one up, stick it to a wall and hey presto, no relying on projectors anymore.

The Crypto community is interested as each phone has an Etherium wallet inbuilt, hoping for more mass-adoption to crypto

When an iPhone costs more than a Macbook pro, that's when I called them crazy,
Where do you buy your Macbook Pros? Me want!

The irony is that the current iPad Pro has more processing power than anything less than the current Macbook Pro. The current iPhone would eat most laptops of (say) five years ago. They really are quite capable beasts...

Through work I’ve been lucky enough to run the full suite:

iPhone
iPad Pro 11”
MacBook
Mac desktop

So from experience, I would say that I use my iPad more than anything else, it’s the right size and practical, plus fantastic for travelling, meetings, emails, photo editing, video cuts etc.

However it’s still not there in terms of word processing, spreadsheets etc. and a number of the apps have real flaws - like viewing photo metadata, downloading files etc. This is a travesty by the way, the thing is bloody fast and powerful and if it wasn’t for the clunky apps (and incredibly annoying inability to integrate with a mouse) then it would be the ideal laptop replacement

iPhone SE that I use is more practical and better as a phone than any of the newer, bigger ones - especially by the time you have a case on it. It’s also massively useful as a camera and in the car doubles as my satnav - I have to admit that it’s useful to have access to quickly check emails if out but if they don’t replace the SE with something as small and cheap then I will not be buying a bigger, expensive phone

in fact I’m convinced that I can entirely cut out both MacBook and iPhone from the set and still function fine - would rather carry a powerful tablet in my bag and a dumb 4g hotspot phone.

Never paid more than £160 for a mobile hence no need for rip off insurance on it.
And the insurance is not for a new phone but a replacement which gets people when they claim.
The replacement is not new for old but refurbished 2nd user or A1 or A2 stock!

The wife's car was bought for the same price of £1500 and it does so more than an overpriced overhyped mobile.

If you had told me that I would pay £1100 for a phone not too long ago I would have laughed at you. That is until I did just that.

Several years back, I had an iPhone6. Not a bad little phone. I was managing a playbus company running three double decker bus inverted into mobile playrooms all over London. I used a Google Chromebook to manage the diary to take bookings, send confirmation to customers and plan the routes for the work. I tethered the Chromebook to the iPhone6 for internet access.

One of my sons did a lot of work for the company as well and we were often together on the same vehicle. He had a Nexus and it became apparent over a period of a few months that the Nexus for some reason had much better connectivity than my iPhone6. I would often be struggling to log on and he would check his phone and find that he had a good signal.

I binned the iPhone and bought a Nexus and my connectivity issues almost vanished. Not only did the Nexus work better but it was really great value for the money. Around two hundred quid as apposed to the best part of six hundred quid for the iPhone. So it was a win win with myself being able to do my job better and it had not cost me a fortune to get there.

After I retired from that job because of ill health, the Nexus obviously came with me and provided sterling service for the following 5 years. It worked perfectly all over the country although I did once have to put a new battery in it. A simple and inexpensive task.

Of course though like everything over a long period of time, the Nexus was beginning to wear out and it was time to think of replacing it.

The obvious answer would have been another Nexus but Google who made and supplied the Nexus had stopped making them. Google were now marketing and selling the Google Phone. I didn't know much about them but they weren't a cheap option like the Nexus had been. So in the absence of being unable to make any real knowledgable comparison, I decided not to buy one. Instead I went back to Apple and bought the relatively new iPhoneX.

There were a couple of things that twisted my arm to go back to an iPhone.

Since the iPhone6, I was guessing that the technology must have improved considerably. I also run a MacBook Air and an iPad Pro. I was interested in taking advantage of the inter operability between the three devices and my son runs a MacBook Pro which again could be handy.

The other thing that made me decide to take the plunge was simply I thought, sod it, why not spoil myself!

£1100 is a lot to pay for a phone and I don't anticipate having to buy another one certainly for another four or five years. I'll be very disappointed if if I do have to. On the upside, I'm happy to say that the new iPhone is living up to my expectations. The connectivity is pretty good, the phone is easy to use and I like it. The only downside is that every time it comes out of my pocket to make a call or check something out on Google or use the apple pay in a shop, when I replace it back in my pocket, I subconsciously check it's there three or four times as I'm returning to my car.

Happily, my bank as part of an add-on to my account provide free phone insurance so if it gets stolen or is dropped and isn't repairable, I can get it replaced.

As for this new Galaxy Fold. I get the concept but the money simply isn't justifiable. It seems that people like Apple and Samsung etc now have a strategy of charging extortionate amounts for their product as part of the marketing plan. I think this will end up costing them money.

Two or three or even four hundred quid over a two or three year period is a worthwhile expense especially if your phone is used a least partly for business reasons but sums of thousands of pounds plus are something I would only be persuaded to part with on a five or even six year period to be honest.

If you had told me that I would pay £1100 for a phone not too long ago I would have laughed at you. That is until I did just that.

Several years back, I had an iPhone6. Not a bad little phone. I was managing a playbus company running three double decker bus inverted into mobile playrooms all over London. I used a Google Chromebook to manage the diary to take bookings, send confirmation to customers and plan the routes for the work. I tethered the Chromebook to the iPhone6 for internet access.

One of my sons did a lot of work for the company as well and we were often together on the same vehicle. He had a Nexus and it became apparent over a period of a few months that the Nexus for some reason had much better connectivity than my iPhone6. I would often be struggling to log on and he would check his phone and find that he had a good signal.

I binned the iPhone and bought a Nexus and my connectivity issues almost vanished. Not only did the Nexus work better but it was really great value for the money. Around two hundred quid as apposed to the best part of six hundred quid for the iPhone. So it was a win win with myself being able to do my job better and it had not cost me a fortune to get there.

After I retired from that job because of ill health, the Nexus obviously came with me and provided sterling service for the following 5 years. It worked perfectly all over the country although I did once have to put a new battery in it. A simple and inexpensive task.

Of course though like everything over a long period of time, the Nexus was beginning to wear out and it was time to think of replacing it.

The obvious answer would have been another Nexus but Google who made and supplied the Nexus had stopped making them. Google were now marketing and selling the Google Phone. I didn't know much about them but they weren't a cheap option like the Nexus had been. So in the absence of being unable to make any real knowledgable comparison, I decided not to buy one. Instead I went back to Apple and bought the relatively new iPhoneX.

There were a couple of things that twisted my arm to go back to an iPhone.

Since the iPhone6, I was guessing that the technology must have improved considerably. I also run a MacBook Air and an iPad Pro. I was interested in taking advantage of the inter operability between the three devices and my son runs a MacBook Pro which again could be handy.

The other thing that made me decide to take the plunge was simply I thought, sod it, why not spoil myself!

£1100 is a lot to pay for a phone and I don't anticipate having to buy another one certainly for another four or five years. I'll be very disappointed if if I do have to. On the upside, I'm happy to say that the new iPhone is living up to my expectations. The connectivity is pretty good, the phone is easy to use and I like it. The only downside is that every time it comes out of my pocket to make a call or check something out on Google or use the apple pay in a shop, when I replace it back in my pocket, I subconsciously check it's there three or four times as I'm returning to my car.

Happily, my bank as part of an add-on to my account provide free phone insurance so if it gets stolen or is dropped and isn't repairable, I can get it replaced.

As for this new Galaxy Fold. I get the concept but the money simply isn't justifiable. It seems that people like Apple and Samsung etc now have a strategy of charging extortionate amounts for their product as part of the marketing plan. I think this will end up costing them money.

Two or three or even four hundred quid over a two or three year period is a worthwhile expense especially if your phone is used a least partly for business reasons but sums of thousands of pounds plus are something I would only be persuaded to part with on a five or even six year period to be honest.
Try £1500... 8O

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rod924 Mobile Phones 9
Legs Mobile Phones 8
fltpilot Mobile Phones 6

Latest Threads