Sammy Hart

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by HIGHLANDER_SPY, Aug 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For those of us of a certain age, and we are getting fewer by the day, I have just learned of the passing at the weekend of Samuel McCorckle Hart, a legend among us, who was the Basic Training Corporal to many on this forum in the 70s and later still to those who were there during and after OP STABLES, post 1986, the Section Sergeant Major in the Regimental Security Section at 9 Sig Regt in Cyprus.

The circumstances of his sad passing are a mystery at the moment but no doubt they will filter down in the following days.

It is very easy to say that we have had some characters in the Corps, but Sammy was one of the best. I have so many memories of this wizened Glaswegian with a ready wit and a liking for the amber nectar. One perhaps that will remain with me from my time at 9 Sigs with him goes as follows:

The policy for all new arrivals to the Regiment was that on their first working day at 0730 hours, all new arrivals would report to the Regimental Security Section on the first floor of the Technical Building (before we moved into our purpose built Security Control Post) to receive an induction briefing from the Sergeant Major or either of the two SNCOs. Here they would be given a defensive briefing on what they could say if questioned about the Regiment etc and were also warned about their behaviour, and in particular the dangers and perils of drinking alcohol in a hot climate.

We also knew that it was customary for all new arrivals to be taken down to Ayia Napa by their new Troop the night before and to get them so pi--ed they could hardly stand (and many couldn't)

One sunny morning, a young 18 year old Signalman was invited into Sammy's office and when it got to the part about watching how much they drank, promptly puked up all over Sammy and his desk !!! Sammy was obviously livid and scared the young man sh-tless with his bollocking before telling him to report the following morning at the same time to clean up the mess in the office with his toothbrush. (Little knowing that Sammy- being Sammy, cleaned the mess up himself).

Come the following morning I was standing outside the office, the door firmly closed to us, with the scared and shaking young bleep - telling him his career was over and to prepare for the worst. Sammy shouted out at the top of his voice, so all in the corridor, including the OC 3 Sqn, USO and RSM's wife could hear and emerge to see what was causing the furore - he cried out "March the miserable young Bastard in Sgt HS" - and as the door was flung open, there was Sammy sitting at his desk with a respirator and helmet on and a large plastic sheet covering his body and the desk - as he greeted the young miscreant with "Sit Down Son-we'll have that wee talk now - Tea or Coffee ?"
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Very sad news, RIP Sammy.
  3. I can only echo that, the guy was a star. RIP Sammy.
  4. Damn shame. Nice bloke, dealt well with both a difficult role to begin with and a ridiculous level of mindless niffnaff imposed from London after Stables.
  5. More importantly Glad - he dealt with it sensibly and not without a touch of humour which didn't always go down well with Gareth, our CO at the time, even to the point of facing up to him when no one else (including myself) dared to !
  6. A very sad loss, both my wife and I have very fond memories of Sammy in the good old days of 9 Signal Regiment's Sgts' Mess.

Gone, but certainly never forgotten.
  7. I understand from a colleague that Sammy was very poorly with the Big C, in fact his body was reported to be riddled with the disease. His ultimate death was I believe caused by a combination of drink and tablets, in my view, a very brave decision by Sammy when there was no other hope. He had already gone through the pain of losing his first wife, Pat, to Cancer, and then devoted his life to ensuring that her two girls, who he had adopted, were brought up the way she would have wanted.

His funeral was attended, by only three or four ex Corps members, however, this was I understand, due to the wishes of his second wife - although the Corps was unaware that he had married again.

Nevertheless, his painful ordeal is now over and he is now resting at peace in that Great NAAFI Bar or Sergeants Mess in the Sky - probably getting up to mischief with the heavenly hosts.

RIP Sammy
  8. Good man. I'm on his side on this one, and hope that everyone in his circle are comforted and aware that we're with them.
  9. Blimey! Feel very sad now...........

Sammy was my very first Sgt Maj after Trg, at 123 Int Sect in the very early 90's. First thing he ever did was sit me down and give me the fatherly brief about the new wonderful social life I was about to experience in Lisburn. Promptly told me that, given the inevitable occasions when i would be too pissed to function, that he would rather I come in late than be at my desk stinking when vistors came to the section. His cheery smile and voice with the obvious "Hello my friend, coffee black with two" call from his office has always stuck with me to this day. He gave me the best environment in which to settle in to the job following completion of A3 at Ashford. Still think of him whenever I see a green bic biro, they were his currency for getting favours!

There was also the story, don't know how true it was of him walking home to his quarter from the Mess in Lisburn one night, in full mess dress (Why they let him out the gate i don't know). On arrival at home, couldnt find his key so walked back to camp and got his head down under his desk, found by the duty bod the next morning, still in full mess dress.

Such a sad loss and i'm a little dissapointed that I couldn't have attended his funeral.

Cheers Sammy, thanks for the introduction to the Corps. RIP Sir.
  10. I remember Sammy as the basic trg cpl of course; I later recall while working temporarily in Celle he was the 25 Sect WOIC there. I lent him my expensive Ovation guitar one day for him to take home and try(don't think he could play it) to my horror when I retrived it I discovered the eejit had left it in the boot of his car, through nights that got to about -15degrees. Needless- to -say the front now has several cracks running down it, (I'm looking at them now) where the wood shrunk in the cold; he just giggled as I shouted abuse at him! However you couldn't stay cross with him. Yeah one of the good guys!
  11. Shamus was a mere pauper then, now he has a different Martin for every day of the week, and a couple of Nationals ( not Nationalists) for when he is more Bluesy. I hear the boot of his 2011 Bentley is now temperature controlled 24/7
  12. If this is the same Sammy Hart I knew, he was Trg Cpl in 78 when I was in the LI and re-badging. Later he was the Det Sgt in Maidstone, Kent when I was with 96 Sy. Another that's gone to meet BJ. RIP.
  13. I can confirm this is the same guy.

I Planted a Cross for both him and BJ today at the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey and spoke to the Director with reminiscences about both of them.

Only downside to this morning's proceedings was the numbers attending to support the Corps, but believe this was entirely due to the lack of tickets issued to the Corps and ICAREC for the event.
  14. RIP Sammy.
    It was a pleasure to meet you.