Salvage bikes - What to do?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by PepperSeaDog, Oct 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking about buying a write off motorbike (hoping to stick to Cat D) and doing it up. I have some mechanical experience, and I know a few good mechanics who can help with the initial inspection and the doing up. THe question is, What do I need to know, and what are a few dos and don'ts?

2. You need to know that modern alloy frames are notoriously difficult to repair/weld/assess!

3. As are yokes , forks and wheels ,brake discs , fairing mounting brackets etc, its not a job for amateur mechanics / engineers .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bikes are dangerous enough without going all 'scrapheap challenge' on them.

Have you got a donor card? What's your liver like? Mine may need replacing in the near future.

5. If you think you are grabbing a bargain.. you are not. The write off itself may be cheap but parts soon mount up & you,ll ALWAYS stumble upon another problem even weeks/months after the rebuild. Couple that in with the time you spend repairing it... NAH better to hit bike trader & by off a dealer IMHO.

6. What 2/51 said.

Given how strong Forks are especially USD ones any front end impact force is taken straight in to the headstock . At best it ovals the bearing seats more often it cracks the welding on the frame .

Unless you were the rider so know more or less what happened then avoid.

7. did you end up buying the bike in the end and if so did you buy it in germany