• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Salvage bikes - What to do?

Thinking about buying a write off motorbike (hoping to stick to Cat D) and doing it up. I have some mechanical experience, and I know a few good mechanics who can help with the initial inspection and the doing up. THe question is, What do I need to know, and what are a few dos and don'ts?

Bikes are dangerous enough without going all 'scrapheap challenge' on them.

Have you got a donor card? What's your liver like? Mine may need replacing in the near future.

If you think you are grabbing a bargain.. you are not. The write off itself may be cheap but parts soon mount up & you,ll ALWAYS stumble upon another problem even weeks/months after the rebuild. Couple that in with the time you spend repairing it... NAH better to hit bike trader & by off a dealer IMHO.

What 2/51 said.

Given how strong Forks are especially USD ones any front end impact force is taken straight in to the headstock . At best it ovals the bearing seats more often it cracks the welding on the frame .

Unless you were the rider so know more or less what happened then avoid.

Latest Threads