Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by greengoblin, Aug 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When walking with an army colleague (I'm RAF) I was amazed to be pulled up by an RAF officer for not saluting. I was always led to believe the senior rank and the person to your right was to salute and the other person was just supposed to brace up. Is this true???? According to the officer this is an army thing and not tri service wide.

But the question I pose is if I am walking alongide someone (right next to them) how on earth am I supposed to get my arm up to salute without smacking my friends head off!!!!!!!!!!

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Technically, I believe you are right. It is the senior person who should salute. Any other person with him (or her) should brace up.

Of course, this is all very well, assuming the person you are saluting understands the rules too

3. Maybe you should ask the RAF version of an RSM? At least you have it on official authority then.
  4. I suspect that it depends on whether you were in step. If so, you would have been a "marching body" so the senior rank or person to the right (if of equal rank) would salute while the others brace up (or eyes left/right).

If you and your mate were just bimbling along, then you would probably both be expected to salute.

The RAF officer must have been a bit of a knob to have pulled you for something so trivial, though he may have considered it a bit of a slight getting one thrown up by a pongo but not from one of his own.
  5. Not an expert (obviously being a stinking matelot) but I think Putteesinmyhands is right. If you're marching, then senior or whoever is taking the squad salutes, if just bimbling, then both should salute.
    Sounds like the officer in question should maybe have spent a little longer on mummy's tit though, as he may have the odd "status issue".
  6. Puttees is right, up until the point where he calls the officer a knob for pulling you up. You were in the wrong, the officer corrected you and you won't make the same mistake again. Better that he has a little chat with you rather than the staish or one of Their Air-Ships (or, God forbid, you do it within sight of the SWO). (Hopefully, it was just a quiet word in your shell-like and not a throw-your-teddies hissy fit- in which case he was a tube.)

As regards being right next to your mate, unless he was holding your hand you should have been able to get yourself into a position where you could pay the appropriate compliment.
  7. I always used to look at them, brace up and say "Sir", if I was on the left hand side and I was never picked up.

Does sound slightly petty, although maybe it is different in the RAF?
  8. I don't know where you guys get the idea that it is "petty" for an officer to pull up an airman for not saluting. Trust me, every officer has it drummed into them from Day One at RAFC/RMAS/BRNC that it is not they who are being saluted, but rather the Sovereign and I don't know any that ever got a kick from being saluted.

If anything, it can be an embuggerance for the officer. Do the maths for a second, how many ORs are on an average station/barracks and how many officers are they? Who do you think does more saluting on average when walking around?
  9. It's petty, because from an Army perspective, the rupert in question was wrong.
  10. Mate is it's probably because as Engineers we arent as petty/bullshitty whether it be right or wrong!!
  11. You are quite correct, the person on the right bangs one up and the bod on the left braces up. If it doubt you will find the rules and regs in MAFL (Manual of Air Force Law). Had to use it when i bumped into knobs of RAF Orrifices, and being a squaddie on an RAF camp, one can say i was fair game to the undisciplined crabs.
  12. Ah, reminds me of a great story that happened while we were based at Girdwood Bks, Belfast.

A snr Tom (who'd been in since the year dot) was trying to carry a large piece of chipboard on his back, up to the Colour Man, via the tunnel linking the upper and lower parts of the camp. During this short trip, a young tit of an officer passed him, and noticing that the Tom hadn't chucked one up (even though he was bent over, struggling his bollocks of with this board) asked him...

"Do you no longer feel the need to pay me your compliments?"

Without missing a step, the Tom carried on, while instantly replying...

"I'm sure your Mother's very proud...... Sir"

13. Well, A_L. The simple fact of the matter is that the chap who started the thread is an airman (or NCO) and it was an RAF officer. He would have been taught the rule at Halton (or Swinderby)- it's his problem he forgot it. Why he comes onto an army-oriented website to bleat about it instead of checking AP 818 (Drill and Ceremonial) or going to see the SWO is a mystery to me- both can be found in Admin Flt. Alternatively, he can take it on the chin and move on with his life.
  14. But if a crab and a pongo of equal rank are marching together, surely the Army regulations take precedence due to being the more senior service?
  15. The alternate view, A_L, is that he was right because when soldiers are marching in twos and threes all of them salute. If officers are walking together the senior one/or the nearest one salutes the soldiers and all of them salute senior officers.