Saluting!

A somewhat random question, but it turned into a right debate today and no-one could check QRs.

Walking along in a group, not marching or anything. Someone salute-worthy approaches. Am I right in thinking one of you (highest rank where possible) throws one up? Or is it all of you?

I've spent the last 7 years doing the previous option and have yet to be beaten to death by someone wielding a pace stick, so I've assumed that is indeed correct. If so, are there any instances where this would change?

Do you know the correct procedure for saluting a taxi driver, clad in jeans and training shoes but not wearing headgear? (Only applies when you are front of house at a unit cocktail party, the taxi driver appears to collect a fare and you mistake him for a guest).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@stacker1 will be along soon to explain that saluting is so bourgeoisie and a capitalist ploy to keep the plebs in their place. He will also explain that saluting is no longer required in this modern army and you should have just told your badgeman to do one!

@stacker1 will be along soon to explain that saluting is so bourgeoisie and a capitalist ploy to keep the plebs in their place. He will also explain that saluting is no longer required in this modern army and you should have just told your badgeman to do one!
Such sagacity. Why the Gods haven't elevated you to the status of Right Reverend Moderator is beyond my comprehension.

A somewhat random question, but it turned into a right debate today and no-one could check QRs.

Walking along in a group, not marching or anything. Someone salute-worthy approaches. Am I right in thinking one of you (highest rank where possible) throws one up? Or is it all of you?

I've spent the last 7 years doing the previous option and have yet to be beaten to death by someone wielding a pace stick, so I've assumed that is indeed correct. If so, are there any instances where this would change?
That’s your mistake right there. RLC or AGC ?

What sort of chippy mob are you in that you would ever be 'walking along in a group, not marching or anything' whilst in a circumstance where a salute might need to be given?

RAF, perhaps?

What sort of chippy mob are you in that you would ever be 'walking along in a group, not marching or anything' whilst in a circumstance where a salute might need to be given?

RAF, perhaps?
The Crabs remove headdress whenever in a group of 3 or more. Removes the OP's dilemma.

The one on the right hand side (your right as you face the oncoming officer) salutes as his right arm is on the outside of the group.

Simultaneously the one on the left also salutes, but uses his left arm for the salute.

The officer will then:

A. Return the compliment.
B. Return the compliment but spend the entire day in a state of anxiety that something, somewhere is horribly wrong, but he's not entirely sure what it is.
C. Get flustered and either fail to salute or attempt to use both arms at once.

It's the little things that make your day.

RAF, perhaps?
You've not ever been walking across camp with three pals and had an officer appear ahead? It's a fairly common scenario!

The one on the right hand side (your right as you face the oncoming officer) salutes as his right arm is on the outside of the group.

Simultaneously the one on the left also salutes, but uses his left arm for the salute.

The officer will then:

A. Return the compliment.
B. Return the compliment but spend the entire day in a state of anxiety that something, somewhere is horribly wrong, but he's not entirely sure what it is.
C. Get flustered and either fail to salute or attempt to use both arms at once.

It's the little things that make your day.
This absolutely settles it. I'll pass it on!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Amateurs. You split off into two separate groups and flank them, both groups saluting at the same time and watch as the officer spads out as they try and work out if they should only salute one or both groups. Once got the immortal reply from a very popular and up for a laugh Captain of '**** off you lot'.

Amateurs. You split off into two separate groups and flank them, both groups saluting at the same time and watch as the officer spads out as they try and work out if they should only salute one or both groups. Once got the immortal reply from a very popular and up for a laugh Captain of '**** off you lot'.
Or spread out with 20 seconds between each of you, ALL chucking one up. If he is a good one he will tell you to eff off too, or it will me a mega workout for him

Nearly there - apart from the waking in a group? My goodness you cannot be in one of her majesty's finest! What are you, car park attendants?

D

Deleted 155579

Might seem a daft question, but watching a RN Advert on TV the other day and the guy throws an American salute. Having been an ignorant old signaller squaddie who served at wildenrath for a time and saw some decidedly ropey attempts by the RAF to salute.

Has the navy always done it that way ?