• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

saluting with a bowler hat ?

yeah, officers in the British Legion do it. Probably wearing a good pin strip suit and carrying a furled brolly at 45 degrees point down hooked at the elbow as well?

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The correct method, I believe, is that the bowler is raised approximately 6 inches from the head and slightly forward. It is held there for a few moments and then returned to the head (unless indoors when the hat is not returned to the head but after pausing is brought down by the side of the body).

Sad bit over with. Anorak on, aboot birl and f*ck off.

Whatever you do, Old Horse, if you turn out sporting a Bowler, or Coke (pronounced Cook) hat, you must, you simply must be wearing a stiff collar!
To answer your question: hold by the brim, just above the right eye, "doff" and return. If, however, you are on the march, ie giving an 'eyes right/left' to the Cenotaph or minor Royal or whatever, remove headdress as before, then 'carry' it across the body 'til it rests roughly over the old ticker (taking care not to catch it on your huge row of gong/s - 'tis mighty dull to have to retrace your route after the parade to reunite yourself with your hard won row of silver ware, only to find it/them much stamped on or worse still that a Big Issue seller has made off with 'em!) Remember to snap the head'n'eyes over at the same time and keep the other arm swinging.

WTF.
Always had a bit of a giggle but at the same time (funnily enough) a bit of respect for the Gentlemen that strolled around the City in pinstripe and Bowler.

Watch for the next chav fashion must have 'A Burberry Bowler'. :)

Q. How do you spot a gentlemen?
A. The man that raises his hat in respect to lady just gone by.

SK.

X-Inf said:
The correct method, I believe, is that the bowler is raised approximately 6 inches from the head and slightly forward. It is held there for a few moments and then returned to the head (unless indoors when the hat is not returned to the head but after pausing is brought down by the side of the body).

Sad bit over with. Anorak on, aboot birl and f*ck off.
Thats the way it was done on "The Avengers" Good enough for Steed, good enough for me! :D

WTF.
Always had a bit of a giggle but at the same time (funnily enough) a bit of respect for the Gentlemen that strolled around the City in pinstripe and Bowler.

Watch for the next chav fashion must have 'A Burberry Bowler'. :)

Q. How do you spot a gentlemen?
A. The man that raises his hat in respect to lady just gone by.

SK.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Glad to see this sort of vintage ARRSE thread still gets an airing. When I joined the Navy I was issued with a hat for the specific purpose of ensuring that I could return salutes when ashore in plain clothes. One lifts the hat as any gentleman would, we did not need picky directions on method.

For those who like a joke the choice was hat, green or ........ hat, brown. Pronounced het in those days.

Latest Threads