saluting with a bowler hat ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by champagne-warlord, Nov 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone tell me what the routine is ? hold by the brim or the main body ? raise slightly or bring down to the front ?

many thanks !

2. I'm sorry, I don't understand, are you for or against saluting with a bowler? :D

3. yeah, officers in the British Legion do it. Probably wearing a good pin strip suit and carrying a furled brolly at 45 degrees point down hooked at the elbow as well?

4. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

The correct method, I believe, is that the bowler is raised approximately 6 inches from the head and slightly forward. It is held there for a few moments and then returned to the head (unless indoors when the hat is not returned to the head but after pausing is brought down by the side of the body).

Sad bit over with. Anorak on, aboot birl and f*ck off.

5. Have a look on Amazon for Hat Etiquette For Gentlemen
    From Manners Culture and Dress By Richard A. Wells, A.M. 1893

PMSL :wink:

6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Bowlers and top hats are raised by the brim; sporting felts etc. are raised by lightly grasping the crown.

• Like Like x 2
  7. X-Inf has it spot on. A rather arcane bit of knowledge - one is too rarely in 'No. 10 Dress' nowadays...

8. gentleman, many thanks for reaching back into your depths of knowledge and infomring me about bowler hat etiquette !

9. Whatever you do, Old Horse, if you turn out sporting a Bowler, or Coke (pronounced Cook) hat, you must, you simply must be wearing a stiff collar!
    To answer your question: hold by the brim, just above the right eye, "doff" and return. If, however, you are on the march, ie giving an 'eyes right/left' to the Cenotaph or minor Royal or whatever, remove headdress as before, then 'carry' it across the body 'til it rests roughly over the old ticker (taking care not to catch it on your huge row of gong/s - 'tis mighty dull to have to retrace your route after the parade to reunite yourself with your hard won row of silver ware, only to find it/them much stamped on or worse still that a Big Issue seller has made off with 'em!) Remember to snap the head'n'eyes over at the same time and keep the other arm swinging.

10. WTF.
    Always had a bit of a giggle but at the same time (funnily enough) a bit of respect for the Gentlemen that strolled around the City in pinstripe and Bowler.

Watch for the next chav fashion must have 'A Burberry Bowler'. :)

Q. How do you spot a gentlemen?
    A. The man that raises his hat in respect to lady just gone by.

SK.

11. You mean this isn't written up in your Officer's Aide memoire?

12. I was under the impression that a gentleman is someone who gets out of the bath to take a piss... :roll:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. msr

msr LE

Or someone who knows how to play the bagpipes and doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  14. A greek Gentleman is one who dates your sister before seeing to your younger brother