Saluting - whats the score?

gobbyidiot said:
I unthinkingly saluted with the left hand once to someone off to the right - oh, the humiliation. Apparently you can do that if there is something wrong with your right arm; I was told that if I did it again there would be something wrong with my right arm.

Rifle salutes are cool - something quite Roman Legion about them.
I got away with saluting with my left arm for exactly one week. 'Twas in Munster many years ago. F*cked up big style when a new Lt posted in was an ex RSM. (they used to get LE Commissions as subbies in those days).

Anyway, he stopped me and after first assessing that there was nothing wrong with my right arm he proceded to get very arsey about it. It's a wonder that he had anything else to worry about.....

Agree with the rifle salute, but you don't see it much nowadays. MGSF occassionally chuck one up with the arm only - as if the rifle isn't there. Not the same somehow. Still, it's a salute and it frightens the crabs.

Z

Zarathustra

putteesinmyhands said:
I'll hide this question in here, rather than put it in Training Wing where too many people will read it and rip into me....

Isn't a salute held for a "pause, two-three" then whipped down? I can understand an officer on a saluting dais holding his arm up for a prolonged period to avoid repetitive strain injury, but the ordinary soldier on the street???

I've always chuckled when I've seen US servicemen holding the salute until it is returned, having always considered it an action to get over and done with as quickly as the Time permits. Have I been wrong all these years?

(I must have had a doctor's appointment on the day that saluting, drill and walking about in a soldierly fashion were taught).
At the risk of sounding like a drill nerd -

Up miss (check pace) over two three four five down swing

Of course in the Blues and Royals other ranks salute without headress which would rule out some of these japes.

much whisky taken ,,,,,

crow_bag said:
At the risk of sounding like a drill nerd -

Up miss (check pace) over two three four five down swing
THAT explains why I've always been the first finished - and I thought it was just because I was more efficient.

As a screw I once saluted our Adj in a woodline somewhere ( I'd not seen him for some time. )

He looked at me as if I'd farted and followed through, and stuck out his hand to shake.

Top man.

Funniest thing I seen with saluting was when we were doing saluting in quick time on the parade ground and the command Salute to the left was given. Cue the LCPL cook throwing up the left hand. That was it, the whole section were in fits on the parade ground, even the Drillies. :D

1966 - Singapore - some barracks or other - young private moi in pax seat of a Bedford RL 4 tonny.

Driving up to camp gate, Cpl driver kindly informs me to replace headdress as "the Guards are a bit sticky".

Drove into barracks with headdress on, to be halted by drill command type screaming.

Cpl driver says - now you're fcuked!

Orderly officer (Coldstreamer) educates me, for the first time in my illustrious military career (13 months) - that I am expected to salute him even if I am sitting down!

My mild expression of disbelief was met with consternation - and 48 hours nick!

Ah - those were the days!

Lived with the navy at HMS Tamar in the early 90s. Dead on 8am a HKMSC colour party would raise the union flag outside the HQ- bugles and all, and over the tannoy "face aft and salute". Eveybody had to stop and do the business. Many tried to avoid doing this, and there would be a mad scrum - officers and all to get into the building. It was really fun when the bus from the MQs turned up at the same time, everybody trying to get off the bus, but acting nonch at the same time. Garrison Sergeant Major would do his nut, coz there was nothing he could do.

It used to be so easy (in the army at least) - I f someone had some tin on their shoulder, you saluted them. Then you go to JHQ Rheindahlen and end up saluting some Latvian reservist cook !!

Must be very confusing now with those rank -slides on the chest

When I was at Sandhurst as an instructor a few years back.. I was walking out of the SAA wing when a CSgt of the Guards variety (who had his platoon of OCdts with him) braced them up did a VERY smart about turn followed by an equally smart salute.. i thanked him and pointed out that i was only a CoH (Sgt equivalent) in the Household cavalry and as a member of the Guards division he should have known better.. Queue hysterical fits of laughter by the OCdt's. The laughter was short lived as said CSgt hadn’t seen the funny side and promptly rifted them to Old Collage and back for laughing at him...brightened my day no end.

Whilst on an RCO course I was wandering to the cookhouse. I was wearing CS95 with my litle DPM "Civilian Instructor" tab on the front and no hat although the rest of me was well pressed and polished when a WO2 approached me at flank speed with murder in his eyes...

"You! don't you wear head-dress in your unit?" quoth he, at which point I thought it was time to enjoy meself :)

Putting best plummy accent on I said "I'm awfully sorry Sarn't Major (I was guessing y'see) but unfortunately no one appears to have issued me a hat in my current role otherwise I'm sure you would have been able to pay me the correct compliment. I do apologise for causing you any distress"

At which point his CSM reflexes kicked in and he slung up a beauty and mumbled an apology and trundled off.

I could hardly walk for fear of pishing meself that a WO2 had just saluted a L/Cpl retired currently spending his spare time as a Civilian Instructor with the ATC :wink:

If you're reading this and you are that RAMC WO2, sorry matey couldn't resist it :) I noted your name tag and I promise I won't tell anyone...

Thanks for all the answers guys, some of them had me spitting my brew all over the monitor! Looks like I'll be taking the staple gun with me on my next course, especially if I'm in the same accomodation. It was behind the Hythe Mess at LWC, anyone else have the same problem there?

B_AND_T

LE
Book Reviewer
I have been caught out a couple of times with cloth cap badges.

Whilst on cse in Worthless Down, I was passing a bldg when a RMP came out, quick check of the cap badge (It saves to the CBT 95 squint) Clocked the badge and threw one up.

"No need son" (Son!!!! I was at least 5 years older than him) " I'm a big badge"
"Sorry Sir, I just recognised your potential"
"Fuck Off"
"Will do Sir"

slab said:
Lived with the navy at HMS Tamar in the early 90s. Dead on 8am a HKMSC colour party would raise the union flag outside the HQ- bugles and all, and over the tannoy "face aft and salute". Eveybody had to stop and do the business. Many tried to avoid doing this, and there would be a mad scrum - officers and all to get into the building. It was really fun when the bus from the MQs turned up at the same time, everybody trying to get off the bus, but acting nonch at the same time. Garrison Sergeant Major would do his nut, coz there was nothing he could do.
Having spent 10 years as a member of Her Maj's Navy, I would always giggle during colours or evening colours at shore establishments, you can always tell the newbies at the pipe(tannoy) "Face the mainmast and salute". Invariably newbies will be frantically turning round in cirlces trying to remember where the main mast is or alternatively saluting a wall cos they know the mainmast is on the other side of the building. Everyone else would be lurking in doorways or frantically trying to get into their cars. I think they are a bit more circumspect nowadays and only expect you to salute if you can see the main mast

Revenge of the OCdts: 200 potential Generals had the delight of saluting the then CSM Dennis Cleary IG with the sword in the left hand. Poor fellah was walking along the ranks on Old College Square, correcting the position and hold, knowing that there was something wrong but not what it was...... It all seemed so innocent then.

More seriously, I've always strived to follow the Monty dictum: "a salute is a greeting between fighting men". Covers it all for me.

It brings to mind a story that has now entered into legend and mutated as it is has been retold.............

However, I was there, EX Arcade Fusion 2000 with two former SF members now attached to our group, walking down the road deep in conversation, when we where surprised to be passed by 2 X US officer types.

On passing, one of the officers turns about and calls back to us... "Hey don't you guys salute american officers in the british army"?

Quick as a flash one of the SF guys growls over his shoulder " But we don't have american officers in the british army!!"

boy did we chuckle :D

PoGS

www.pocketcomms.co.uk

The Rifle salute with an SLR - Beautiful to do and a joy to receive!

Saluting on a Bicycle - read the Drill Manual: Straighten arms and keep looking ahead!

I took to smoking a pipe in my mid 20s as I cut a dash swaggering around Tidworth, as it was (or so I told everyone) permissable to both receive and return and give salutes with one on the go!

I had to perfect the left handed salute when my shoulder was dislocated playing rugger.

Walking along in Sanksi Most with a fellow Cpl (at the time) from the vehicle park heading to the CP when two Capts come out and the Cpl with me mutters 'Oh Bugger' and dives into the nearest bush. All that can then be seen is the bush shaking and varoius swear words heard in a posh accent. The two Capts walk past me as I salute and they respond but with a very quizical look in thier eyes. Only after they passed did the diver reappear. I asked him what the fek he was doing, and he replied that he went to school with both of those Capt's and they were a pair of cnuts then and he was never going to salute them now.... oh, and they both faged for him. Bloody etonians!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AlphaKennyThing The Training Wing 173
B The Intelligence Cell 98
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 933