Saluting on entering the Adjts office

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by angular, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Towards the end of my time I was with the PWRR for a while. The Adjt insisted that I should salute on entering his office, an anteroom before the CO's office, even if no-one was there. It seemed a bit like saluting the Quarterdeck on a ship.

I hadn't noticed that custom when I was in 5QUEENS, but then as a 1-pip-wonder I kept well away from Bn HQ. Is it a QUEENS or RHAMPS tradition, or were they just winding me up because of my funny little capbadge?
  2. Yes I'm afraid you were being wound up!
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Doesn't every Regt do it?
  4. It's certainly good manners to salute when entering anyone's office, regardless of rank, when they're in there.

As to saluting the Adjt's office when he wasn't there: well, maybe you just misinterpreted his instructions...?
  5. Quite possibly; I felt it was a bit odd that, as a captain, I was being requested to salute an empty office, where a fellow captain worked.

I often found working with Regulars quite baffling until they had had the chip inserted. :D
  6. I used to feel obliged to salute (in a fashion) every time I visited the Post Bunk and was told I hadn't got any mail..... does that count? :D

7. I remember getting a rifting for not saluting a rather tatty flag in a display case when I was with the 14/20th.
    The sproggy officer was then dragged away by the RSM and educated over the matter, I'd been at the unit less than an hour and the display case was behind me...
  8. I can't speak for other organisations, but the guidance issued to Officers joining my own regiment states that:

You are to salute any Officer senior to you in a room or other place where Orders are done, as well as on Ranges, in the Cookhouse and on the Square. If a Senior Officer enters the Orderly Room or Company Office, you are to stand.

I'm guessing that similar applied to your Adjt; his office being a room in which Orders were done made it a place in which you were 'On Parade'. Saluting an empty room is a tad excessive - perhaps he meant simply that you should salute the senior officer present (him, by appointment if not seniority) when you entered?

As far as saluting when entering another's office, it isn't custom everywhere, but I tend to think that good manners dictate 'when in Rome'. If that's the norm at the place you're visiting, then crack on.
  9. As stated, customs and traditions vary from regiment to regiment and battalion to battalion. I understand that the Foot Guards salute only more senior officers and when entering offices where orders are conducted. In my own regiment, it is customary for an officer to salute as he enters an office (other than his own), regardless of the rank of the occupier (it always confuses the JNCO clerks). It is also customary for officers to salute the wives of other officers (this is a traditional mark of respect rather than a wearing rank on the handbag issue!)

As to rank, the Adjutant is a field officer, you (by virtue of you being a Captain and not the Adjutant) are not. Again customs vary, in my regiment, subalterns (including other Captains) salute the Adjutant as they do a Major (i.e. on first seeing him in the morning and on entering his office). (I won't get into the debate as to whether the Ops Officer is or should be a field officer as well).

As to being baffled on first working with the regular army, don't worry, it is equally baffling for us working with the TA! If you want to be sure of getting it right, you should adhere to the most stringent of your parent regiment's customs or those of the unit you are attached to, until you are told otherwise.
  10. Fully agree although in my Bn it is once in the morning and once after lunch for salutes to field officers.

My bold i assume it is just an extension when in uniform of "doffing" ones cap.
  11. That's absolutely right. In doing so you are not saluting the husband's commission by proxy but paying a compliment to the lady in question as one might have raised one's hat (in civilian attire) in days gone by.