• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Saluting Officers when in Civvies?

What is the regulation/are the regulations regarding the saluting of Officers when you are in working dress and they , the Officers are in civies.

If the non-commissioned rank is in uniform and the officer in civvies, the officer is still paid the correct compliments, a slaute or bracing up depending on head-dress. The officer should return the compliment by bracing up and acknolwleging , if in civvies.
Hope that helps!

cpunk

LE
happy_as_a_hat said:
If the non-commissioned rank is in uniform and the officer in civvies, the officer is still paid the correct compliments, a slaute or bracing up depending on head-dress. The officer should return the compliment by bracing up and acknolwleging , if in civvies.
Hope that helps!
The officer might also raise his hat, if he is wearing one.

happy_as_a_hat said:
Hope that helps!
The officer (if male) should return the salute by raising the hat that he should be wearing.

But how times have changed. At the last beating of retreat I attended, which was at a cocktail party, the senior officer present, a brigadier, was invited to take the salute as the band marched off. There was then an unseemly scramble to find him a hat to do it with. Fortunately, someone's dirty old race-going trilby was found, though it was at least a size too small and looked rather rakish perched on the front of his head as the band approached the dais.

I dont believe so, would you salute an officer who was not wearing headress?
Yeah all the time, when entering their office for example, and especially when they're descending stairs mobile phone in one hand paperwork in the other..

I was taught on day 2 (when berret's had just been shaped) that officers in civi's get paid correct compliments in civi's when OR is in uniform.

TA_s

happy_as_a_hat said:
If the non-commissioned rank is in uniform and the officer in civvies, the officer is still paid the correct compliments, a slaute or bracing up depending on head-dress. !
Bracing up....pet hate of mine...why do people think that bracing up is a substitute for saluting!!!!

HAAH is dead right, only brace up when sans-hat or in civvies!!!

In the Indian Army, as per the old British customs, all juniors including officers, Salute.

They do an eyes right, pulling their hands to the side.

It is not so ridiculous as it may appear.

It is very good for the morale and a feeling of identity as a disciplined force.

If the officer is in civvies, and the OR (or junior officer) is in civvies, the OR should brace up first (paying the compliment), and the Officer then braces up (acknowledging the compliment).
If either is in uniform, with headdress on, he/she should salute as his/her part of the process.

The important aspect to remember is the paying of, and acknowledgement of, compliments to the Queen's Commision.

And yes, this could lead to the sight of Pte Scrote in his chav-suit bracing up to a Commisioned rank in uniform, and receiving a salute in return, and rightly so.
The only exception to this is if one of the parties is on a pushbike, he/she will not be expected to salute when wearing headdress, bracing up will suffice.

biscuits said:
The only exception to this is if one of the parties is on a pushbike, he/she will not be expected to salute when wearing headdress, bracing up will suffice.
Although, to be fair, I have seen that happen - with spectacular results.

Dont hang about waiting for a return compliment though, officers do not have to return a salute, as I found out as a sprog when I challenged a major for not acknowledging my salute......I wasn't cheeky, I was respectful but got my arse chewed.

The method of paying compliments depends on what rig you are in - not the rig of the other party.

If you are wearing uniform headgear and another soldier in civ dress or without headgear acknowledges your presence by 'bracing up', you don't just brace up in response, why would you not salute.

When I attended the primary department of a Scottish Academy some years ago we were expected to salute teachers, even without headgear. If one passed between two teachers in the corridor it was thought highly amusing to salute both simultaneously with both arms. This procedure is not recommended for military use.

E

error_unknown

I think Saluting may be a breach of the Human Rights Act regarding humiliating treatment. Besides which, some officers may make the mistake of thinking you respect them if you salute. It's best to save your salutes for Operational deployments guys, just make sure you hold the salute for an extra few seconds to make sure the sniper has identified the officer in question..... The perfect crime...

Northern_Biff said:
Dont hang about waiting for a return compliment though, officers do not have to return a salute, as I found out as a sprog when I challenged a major for not acknowledging my salute......I wasn't cheeky, I was respectful but got my arse chewed.
As a retired Offr I consider it a disgrace that an Offr would not acknowledge a soldiers salute. I have never heard of such a thing and even if it was written in Queens Regs somewhere it would be the height of disrespect.

Well I was reamed for it, by the rasser and the officer in question......I guess it was because i had the audacity to say something. Like I say, I threw one up (phernnnar) and followed it with a good morning Sir, there was only me and him and I repeated the salute and said it again. He said, "I heard you the first time, to which I replied, oh, I didn't think you saw me Sir, threw him one up again and walked away to be called back and called a cheeky cnut and to wind my neck in, next thing, Rasser wants me for an office call without coffee. maybe I embarrassed him? He was a corps chopper of the highest order though.

Birdie_Numnums said:
Vonshot, if you walk into your COs office and he is not wearing his beret do you not salute?
Good point BN, yes I would, but passing in corridor etc I would not, not such a big one as the only officers I have ever found who demanded or expected to be saluted without headress or in civvies were 2nd Lts. I would never salute an officer in civvies and rarely one without headress.

I think this thread is similar to :

When dismissed form an Officers office do you?

A. about turn and march out

B. turn ot the right and march out turning to the right to get out the door, this is so that an OR never turns his back on an officer

Latest Threads