Saluting Officers when in Civvies?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by old_bloke, Nov 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the regulation/are the regulations regarding the saluting of Officers when you are in working dress and they , the Officers are in civies.
  2. Yes, salute.
  3. If the non-commissioned rank is in uniform and the officer in civvies, the officer is still paid the correct compliments, a slaute or bracing up depending on head-dress. The officer should return the compliment by bracing up and acknolwleging , if in civvies.
    Hope that helps!
  4. I dont believe so, would you salute an officer who was not wearing headress?
  5. Vonshot, if you walk into your COs office and he is not wearing his beret do you not salute?
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The officer might also raise his hat, if he is wearing one.
  7. The officer (if male) should return the salute by raising the hat that he should be wearing.

But how times have changed. At the last beating of retreat I attended, which was at a cocktail party, the senior officer present, a brigadier, was invited to take the salute as the band marched off. There was then an unseemly scramble to find him a hat to do it with. Fortunately, someone's dirty old race-going trilby was found, though it was at least a size too small and looked rather rakish perched on the front of his head as the band approached the dais.
  8. Yeah all the time, when entering their office for example, and especially when they're descending stairs mobile phone in one hand paperwork in the other..

I was taught on day 2 (when berret's had just been shaped) that officers in civi's get paid correct compliments in civi's when OR is in uniform.

9. Bracing hate of mine...why do people think that bracing up is a substitute for saluting!!!!

HAAH is dead right, only brace up when sans-hat or in civvies!!!
  10. that's soldier sans hat, not the officer!
  11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

In the Indian Army, as per the old British customs, all juniors including officers, Salute.

They do an eyes right, pulling their hands to the side.

It is not so ridiculous as it may appear.

It is very good for the morale and a feeling of identity as a disciplined force.
  12. If the officer is in civvies, and the OR (or junior officer) is in civvies, the OR should brace up first (paying the compliment), and the Officer then braces up (acknowledging the compliment).
    If either is in uniform, with headdress on, he/she should salute as his/her part of the process.

The important aspect to remember is the paying of, and acknowledgement of, compliments to the Queen's Commision.

And yes, this could lead to the sight of Pte Scrote in his chav-suit bracing up to a Commisioned rank in uniform, and receiving a salute in return, and rightly so.
    The only exception to this is if one of the parties is on a pushbike, he/she will not be expected to salute when wearing headdress, bracing up will suffice.
  13. Although, to be fair, I have seen that happen - with spectacular results.
  14. Dont hang about waiting for a return compliment though, officers do not have to return a salute, as I found out as a sprog when I challenged a major for not acknowledging my salute......I wasn't cheeky, I was respectful but got my arse chewed.
  15. The method of paying compliments depends on what rig you are in - not the rig of the other party.

If you are wearing uniform headgear and another soldier in civ dress or without headgear acknowledges your presence by 'bracing up', you don't just brace up in response, why would you not salute.

When I attended the primary department of a Scottish Academy some years ago we were expected to salute teachers, even without headgear. If one passed between two teachers in the corridor it was thought highly amusing to salute both simultaneously with both arms. This procedure is not recommended for military use.