Saluting foreign officers

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by msr, May 1, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Adjts,

What are the regulations for this?

Cheers,
    msr

2. You pay them the correct compliments......even the enemy........at times :eek:

3. If it moves salute it. ;D

If it stands still paint it. ;D ;D

4. I was pulled up by a Yank officer for not saluting him, especially as I had saluted the other yank just in front of him-I informed him that British SNCOs did not salute officers who wandered round in uniform with their hat on whilst smoking a cigarette-I admit I did push off smartish before he could reply.

5. I'm currently in this situation. I have no argument with saluting a foreign officer (generally American but other nationalities too), but I find it so annoying when walking somewhere and the other ranks of the other forces do not pay the same compliment to our officers............even those that do recognise which are the officers. This said I still throw mine up cos I just know which of us would get the bollocking!

6. Other countries soldiers might behave badly themselves- but they are bound to notice and respect those that behave with professionalism.

7. Quite correct BB,

It always showed them up and we stood out like a Beacon in the desert as to how it should be conducted and after all, history is in the telling. :)

8. Law, there is no requirement to salute an officer of a country other than British or commenwealth. There is no mention in QR's regarding paying of compliments to US officers. It is merely politeness. All it states is that a compliment may be paid to an officer of equivilent rank to that of a British or Commonwealth officer. It does not state that a US officer is of equivalent status. This we know. Id rather salute a search dog!
    If you do not give the septic the required up thrusting compliment, it aint a drama! If he complains that you are not showing the required compliment, refer him to Sandhurst Legal document 5:1 para 3 of QR/KR, This states that any American has forfeited his right as a servant of the current monarch and/or Government to be regarded as an authority of a person or persons in a military role. This then runs to the field of they have less of a fixture than even a member of the CCF. If you salute a member of the US Forces, you are guilty of treason, with the penalty of death by firing squad or hanging if proved to be guilty of premeditated subterfuge. Just the messenger! Be warned.

I work with a US Col and enjoy a balanced historic bit of banter at every oppurtunety. Sp? pissed!

9. At present my CO is an American colonel and he is the only american I salute.

This is for no other reason than the rest of the f*cking SPAMs here are rude, arrogant w*nkers who just blank you when you pay then any respect.

Before I came out to this job I heard everybody bad mouth the SPAMs, but thought that I would make up my own mind when I got here.

And their deserve all the shit that get. :evil:

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Hmmm, the problem with Spams and in fact many other nations is that the officer corps seems indifferent to returning the salute where as we expect it. Bastards.

I'm still a big believer in rocking around with my hands in my pockets no headgear in sight and a jaunty engaging smile to make the world a happy place...

11. It is not just saluting that is the problem with SPAMs.

Just the other day I was walking to the warehouse and past our Adjt (he is a Captain and been in for about 6 days) and being the polite and courtious said good moring who are you.

F*cking blanked :evil:

I think that the reason for the americans whole attitude problem when it comes to respect is due to a lack of confidence, which comes about from having such large armed forces. I say this because in my view they expect an easy ride because there is so many of them and they can simple hide in a corner, do their time and get out with some quals.

However, they are so badly trained and have such little technical knowledge they are still pretty much freckin' useless.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I did try looking my CO in the eye once but the bastard kept inspecting his boots instead of mine!..

And met a new QM once who'd come down especially to give my boss a bollocking about something or other I'd been up to. I wonder into the bosses office to see this civvy dressed bloke who turns and asks me a question to which I reply with:

"Hello I'm FirstName Happy, a pleasure to meet you - I don't think I've had the pleasure....",

"I'm FirstName Surname - the knew QM"

"Excellent Sir, I'll just go and find out" throw smoke, exit right.

13. A SPAM Loooootenant once demanded to know why a couple of us had not saluted him, a quick thinking bloke said that he was outside the British Army regulation saluting distance - slung one up in good style and we left him with his jaw on the ground. I wish I had known LFH bit of legal mumbo jumbo at that time - the SPAM would have keeled over !!!

During WWII a British officer complained to General Freyburg the commander of the New Zealand forces in North Africa that Kiwi soldiers were not saluting British officers. Freyburg replied that he should try waving at them and that they might wave back. :lol:

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Be aware the potential for the wind up...... "irefer him to Sandhurst Legal document 5:1 para 3 of QR/KR, This states that any American has forfeited his right as a servant of the current monarch and/or Government to be regarded as an authority of a person or persons in a military role. This then runs to the field of they have less of a fixture than even a member of the CCF. "

15. Salute first...ask questions afterwards :mrgreen: