Saluting at ITC Catterick

Any truth to the rumour that recruits at ITC are refusing to salute junior officers and the CO is having to give them a chat about saluting the queens commission not the wearer?

Polle if posted before

A quiet chat with the CO, I am surprised that they are not having some remedial PT at the request of the RSM!!

B

Biscuits_AB

You should see the way they conduct themselves when they get outside that front gate. Luckily enough the hill billies from Catterick and Colburn are too thick to complain.

It's not just the Toms either. I was walking through Tesco with my youngest when some boy of a Captain walked directly at me expecting me to move aside. There was plenty room for both of us, but he obviously felt he was higher up on the food chain. I moved him quite forcibly sideways with my arm. He wasn't chuffed. An arrogant man if ever I met one. If that's the example that 'young' officers are setting, it's hardly surprising that their Toms don't respect them.

smallbrownprivates said:
Any truth to the rumour that recruits at ITC are refusing to salute junior officers
The next thing these stroppy little recruits will want is a federation......

Perhaps the Infantry RSM wants to have a quiet word with the RSMs of the Infantry Training Centre Bns.....

Did you know the Infantry have got a Corps RSM now? About time too! Having the AcSM at RMAS claiming to be the senior RSM and most of the time having less combat ops than a Highlander or a Ranger was a bit cheeky really....

smallbrownprivates said:
Any truth to the rumour that recruits at ITC are refusing to salute junior officers and the CO is having to give them a chat about saluting the queens commission not the wearer?

Polle if posted before

Where do people here this crap

Infantry "Corps" RSM? Who? Where? When? I always thought the RSM School of Infantry Warminster was the Infantry RSM. Is there still such a being?

Busterdog said:
Infantry "Corps" RSM? Who? Where? When? I always thought the RSM School of Infantry Warminster was the Infantry RSM. Is there still such a being?
The Inf SM is at the School of Infantry (which is colocated with ITC Catterick).

Known alterantively as the Centre RSM perhaps? That position has been around since the mid 90's. When did he get renamed?

It got remained when the Commandant became a Brigadier and took command of the School of Infantry (ITC, Brecon etc). Still effectively the Centre RSM but accompanies the Brigadier on his visits etc.

It's not just the Toms.

I was visiting Deepcut before the "Winterval" hols, and a gaggle of one pippers were sauntering down the road past the QM Dept towards me. I saluted, and was amazed when not only did they sauner by without returning the compliment, BUT THE WO2 I WAS WALKING WITH DID NOTHING ABOUT IT! I was speechless for a few seconds, before gripping the bloody lot of them.

Standards are only maintained if ALL of the chain of command enforce them AND abide by them.

It would seem that things have changed. At the officer factory, latish 70s, the then AcSM was drilling some squillions of CCdts when strolling languidly across the top of Old College square, came a freshly minted Cav 2Lt. The late Mr Huggins (for it was he) called a halt to the parade, about faced and cracked off the most magnificent Guards salute (two inch dent in forehead and all that). Nothing. Nada. Niet. Zip. Zilch. Came the stentorian roar: "Mr Definately-Inbred Sir, I am saluting you Sir!" the devine one looked around in gentle bemusement, touched his cane to his hat and replied "And so you should Sarn't Major". Folk history has it that the young gentlemen got through the front doors of Old College just in advabnce of the pace stick being wielded by an apoplectic Mr Huggins. Folk history has it that the same young gentleman was on the fabled 1030 train from Camberley and was never seen again......

rickshaw said:
It would seem that things have changed. At the officer factory, latish 70s, the then AcSM was drilling some squillions of CCdts when strolling languidly across the top of Old College square, came a freshly minted Cav 2Lt. The late Mr Huggins (for it was he) called a halt to the parade, about faced and cracked off the most magnificent Guards salute (two inch dent in forehead and all that). Nothing. Nada. Niet. Zip. Zilch. Came the stentorian roar: "Mr Definately-Inbred Sir, I am saluting you Sir!" the devine one looked around in gentle bemusement, touched his cane to his hat and replied "And so you should Sarn't Major". Folk history has it that the young gentlemen got through the front doors of Old College just in advabnce of the pace stick being wielded by an apoplectic Mr Huggins. Folk history has it that the same young gentleman was on the fabled 1030 train from Camberley and was never seen again......
Brilliant rickshaw

Witnessed a para trainee blow out a line inf Capt, However it was an LE who went on to educate him in the error of his ways.

Mildy amusing at the time.

Rick' I wasn't aware Ray Huggins had passed on to the great drill square in the sky. He was a superb Academy Sergeant Major, graced with dignity and a wonderful sense of humour - a stickler for 'form' he did not suffer fools gladly - as your story indicates!
One hopes rumours of his death are greatly exaggerated!