Saluting and The Pecking Order

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Was done on CA yesterday and locked by mods.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Why on earth was it locked? Surely, on a military themed site, this is a legitimate subject?

Where else are junior officers and soldiers going to get their info from if ARRSE is censored.

Maybe we will start getting replies from Brigadier Snooks (DSR - Director Snooty Replies) a la SOLDIER Magazine!

jim30

LE
No idea - it hadnt deviated into cold war dits, that rifle and how the falklands are screwed today because we cant rebuild challenger 2.

Maybe the Mod in question was only following orders :)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Inter service issue by the sound of it. Personally, I always found it difficult to distinguish between a Squadron Leader and a Wing Commander - very confusing to a poorly educated Army type! :smile:

wrinkles

Old-Salt
We all called the Colonel the boss, but in conversation with him it was always sir. I think someone overheard a conversation and took it out of context. The name boss in yorkshire has always been used as a term of respect.

The real issue for me here is why the hierarchy felt the need to 'publish' a directive on paying respect and saluting. I know we have always had DINs and such, but a directive on how to pay respect? Seriously? It sounds like something that would be published by a local authority HR department. I despair.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can just picture this being re-run but instead of "Looking Up" they will be saying "I salute him, but not him"

This is likely due in no small part to Joint Ops in Afghanistan involving our light blue polyester wearing brethren. Someone minces in wearing a big bar code on their chest and says 'hi, call me Giles'.

It's going to confuse the younger lads after a while, then add in the FOB / PB mentality as well (I understand it had a purpose whilst there) and some will think the informal stance should apply at all times.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Sleeves, sandwiches, salutes .. Egad old bean, this demmed modern army needs sorting out!

It needs to do a bit more fuzzie-wuzzie-bashing!

.. Not too much soda, just a splash ..

It's going to confuse the younger lads after a while, then add in the FOB / PB mentality as well (I understand it had a purpose whilst there) and some will think the informal stance should apply at all times.

Saluting people due to rank goes out of the window if the blokes have spent half their careers fighting the enemy and the officer has spent his behind a desk.