Saluting an officer if you are not in the Armed Forces?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by militaryfanatic, Jan 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have often pondered whether as a mark of respect it would be acceptable for me to salute and officer. I am not in the armed forces, but want to know if this is acceptable and if so how would you feel about this?

Kind Regards
  2. Palm to forehead is the acceptable method for civilians.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. or just a gentle tug of the forelock is acceptable !
    • Like Like x 2
  4. An ice-pick in the hand is an optional extra

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim
  5. Why on earth would you want to?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I see it as a signal of respect. A sign that I appreciate what they are doing for me and my family.
  7. It's perfectly acceptable. The military salute officers only as a gesture of mockery in any case, so crack on fella.
    • Like Like x 15
  8. Some officers are already full of their own self importance, gawd 'elp their ego's if civvies start saluting them as well, but as previously stated, why the hell would you want to??? Edited to add: you answered as I was typing. Fair enough, as a mark of respect, but why not just approach them and say thank you?
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Actually crack on,remember to zip up afterwards ensuring you practice your fountain angle.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

jeepers you aren't serious? if you are then just a nod and a sir/maam is enough to acknowledge him/hers existence.

saluting opens you up to a whole new world of hurt.
  11. It would just make people uncomfortable because they are being saluted by a random civvy and make you look like you were dropped at birth.
    • Like Like x 5
  12. Unless you happen to be Afghani surely any officer you see is mincing round their local town centre and doing fuck all for your family?

Anyway, what's your normal username?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. That was my concern. I do not wish to pretend I am serving in the Armed Forces. And would not wish to make any serving officer or soldier uncomfortable.

I have often when seeing service people in uniform gone up and shook their hands, and asked them about their service. Some have been happy to talk about it, whilst others have seemed to be uncomfortable about this. I do still buy drinks for serving soldiers if I am in a bar etc...
  14. A simple "Thank you for your service" would suffice, and dependent on the circumstances "can I buy you a drink?" is always acceptable.

Can you list some of the pubs you frequent.
    • Like Like x 10
  15. Are you male or female?
    • Like Like x 1