Saluting an officer if you are not in the Armed Forces?

I have often pondered whether as a mark of respect it would be acceptable for me to salute and officer. I am not in the armed forces, but want to know if this is acceptable and if so how would you feel about this?

Kind Regards

It's perfectly acceptable. The military salute officers only as a gesture of mockery in any case, so crack on fella.

Some officers are already full of their own self importance, gawd 'elp their ego's if civvies start saluting them as well, but as previously stated, why the hell would you want to??? Edited to add: you answered as I was typing. Fair enough, as a mark of respect, but why not just approach them and say thank you?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
jeepers you aren't serious? if you are then just a nod and a sir/maam is enough to acknowledge him/hers existence.

saluting opens you up to a whole new world of hurt.

It would just make people uncomfortable because they are being saluted by a random civvy and make you look like you were dropped at birth.
That was my concern. I do not wish to pretend I am serving in the Armed Forces. And would not wish to make any serving officer or soldier uncomfortable.

I have often when seeing service people in uniform gone up and shook their hands, and asked them about their service. Some have been happy to talk about it, whilst others have seemed to be uncomfortable about this. I do still buy drinks for serving soldiers if I am in a bar etc...

A simple "Thank you for your service" would suffice, and dependent on the circumstances "can I buy you a drink?" is always acceptable.

Can you list some of the pubs you frequent.

That was my concern. I do not wish to pretend I am serving in the Armed Forces. And would not wish to make any serving officer or soldier uncomfortable.

I have often when seeing service people in uniform gone up and shook their hands, and asked them about their service. Some have been happy to talk about it, whilst others have seemed to be uncomfortable about this. I do still buy drinks for serving soldiers if I am in a bar etc...
Are you male or female?

It would just make people uncomfortable because they are being saluted by a random civvy and make you look like you were dropped at birth.

Why are you encouraging this pratt? It's a piss poor wind up -He's stolen someones FB photos and has put them on here, claiming to be a security guard who loves soldiers but was too crap to join the army.

He's stolen my background and I won't have it .

imagesCA2S0T57.jpg I can't think of many Officers who are familiar with the chavvery's drill manual and might possibly misconstrue the gesture.

I see that, quite rightly, this idiot's first foray on ARRSE has been binned.

Time to do the same with this one.

Why are you encouraging this pratt? It's a piss poor wind up -He's stolen someones FB photos and has put them on here, claiming to be a security guard who loves soldiers but was too crap to join the army.

I most certainly have not! I have been honest and open about myself. I was not "too crap" to join the Military. I was not allowed to because of medical conditions.

In reference to Jimmy's friend. I am a male.

Thankyou for your advice everyone. I shall instead stick with bracing up, shaking hands and then thanking them for their service.

Regards

Z

Zarathustra

It most likely is a wind up but it has a unique IP address.

Latest Threads