Salute...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Nibbler, Aug 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Salute indeed,

Cloudbuster , I believe the Dutch mate was involved, in what was a very very reverent recovery, involving the RNethAF and his group.

2. At last Rest in peace gents .

3. RIP lads, gone but not forgotten.

4. RIP Lads.

5. RIP gentlemen, thank you for my freedom.

6. God bless you lads.

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Always warming to see how much regard all the Dutch people hold the Allied war dead. The ceremonies in Arnhem and Nijmegan spring to mind.

RIP and thank you.

8. Until recently I did voluntary work in Liverpool and was asked to try and trace living relatives of Peter Sharman. Tried radio and the newspapers, did some research at the libraries but couldn't find anyone for him. I've done a few of these things and sometimes have been successful but many times not. It really gets under your skin to try and locate someone who will mourn these men or in Peter's case virtually a boy at 19. I read last week that Peter does have a sister who lives in France so no wonder I couldn't locate anyone.

At the risk of sound corny I feel that everything should be done to remember guys like these. The Dutch put us to shame a lot of the time and there are still thousands of airmen unaccounted for. The memorial at Runnymede commemorates those with no known grave.

RIP and not forgotten.

9. not quite all. As a teenager in Hamburg, we held a dinner party. Civs and Army were there. A very successful businessman mentioned that he spoke Russian, and as my dad did too, they had a great old chit chat, in Russian, since the bloke had no English, and they both preferred Russian to the usual German.

It turned out that the chap was Dutch, so Dad asked how the war had treated him, imagining tales of occupation and black market coffee.

Said old boy replied that he had been on the eastern front. Turned out he was in the SS-Freiwilligen-Panzergrenadier-Brigade Nederland, which was a volnteer unit.

The conversation was a little more frosty after that.

10. Irish, don't think your post contributes much to the spirit of this thread.

11. There was also a British Friecorps in the SS, there were Dutch collaborators, there were also blackshirts in the UK, Moseley ring any bells?

12. of course it does, the point I suppose I was making is that by no means all of the people in the countries liberated by the Allies wanted us to cross the channel, as evidenced by the cold welcome recieved in the south of France, certain Belgian towns etc etc.

But in the spirit of the thread, it is good that these men may now rest in peace.