Salt Beef for Boxing Day

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mush_dad, Dec 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My salt beef cure has just arrived in the post today so I'll be starting a brine this weekend with a view to having a salt beef brisket on the table for the boxing day bash.

Has anyone done this before? I've got a few ideas from 'tinternet, but any first hand experiences shared would be gratefully received.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I have done a few,In fact I have one on the go now , got the first recipe from an old Readers Digest "The Cookery Year" cookbook, I use 10oz salt,2 onions3 bay leaves,1 tsp saltpetre, 1 tsp Allspice,4 large tablespoons brown sugar,1tsp each of cloves,mace, black peppercorns and Thyme
    Steep for a week or even 10 days then in slow cooker for 8/10 hrs, then press between to plates in fridge, serve with Baked spuds with pickled cabbage and beetroot, with crusty bread and Stilton, God's grub
  3. Cheers Jim,

I presume you're not in the UK as I don't think we can get saltpetre here. I had to order brining salt which is basically 95% salt to 5% saltpetre. The recipe I'm using states 50g salt to 1 Litre of water.

How much water do you use for the 10oz of salt you use?
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I'm in Cardiff, but I have a very understanding friend who gets me the Nitrate from where he works but you can get it from Amazon believe it or not salt petre food grade
  5. Cardiff - I worked for NAW/WAG a few years back, lovely place.
  6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I dont use any water in the steep I just mix it all together and rub it in the meat, dont roll the meat up. and turn it every day , keep in in the fridge in a large bowl covered with a cloth, drain any liquid that forms but leave it dry until all the mixture has been absorbed into the meat then roll and tie the meat and into slow cooker, with water just covering the meat

This will end up almost like Pastrami
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Heres one I did earlier LOL and f@ck the cholesterol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Only had it once at a mates in NZ ,VERY tasty ,Good Luck!
  9. You should be able to get saltpeter from your chemists , its also usefull for making black powder.
  10. I had many 'interesting' experiences with home made black powder in my teens, but when I went to chemists last week to see if I could get some, he told me it was strictly off limits. I only wanted an half ounce for the cooking but no way.
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

So who's up for my Pistachio nut Pork next
  12. As another poster says freely available on Amazon:thumright:
  13. The missus will be getting my salty beef on boxing day........that is if I had one.
  14. Scrub your cock with vim, that should help.
  15. You can get saltpetre in UK, just ask your local chemist for Sodium Nitrate. It is a constituent of gunpowder so let him raise his eyebrows, but when you tell him why you want it he will understand.

Just for the record, many common chemicals in use in the home today are also explosive constituents, but no one raises an eyebrow about their employment in the home cos they don't know what they are.