Salt Beef for Boxing Day

My salt beef cure has just arrived in the post today so I'll be starting a brine this weekend with a view to having a salt beef brisket on the table for the boxing day bash.

Has anyone done this before? I've got a few ideas from 'tinternet, but any first hand experiences shared would be gratefully received.

Ta.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I have done a few,In fact I have one on the go now , got the first recipe from an old Readers Digest "The Cookery Year" cookbook, I use 10oz salt,2 onions3 bay leaves,1 tsp saltpetre, 1 tsp Allspice,4 large tablespoons brown sugar,1tsp each of cloves,mace, black peppercorns and Thyme
Steep for a week or even 10 days then in slow cooker for 8/10 hrs, then press between to plates in fridge, serve with Baked spuds with pickled cabbage and beetroot, with crusty bread and Stilton, God's grub

Cheers Jim,

I presume you're not in the UK as I don't think we can get saltpetre here. I had to order brining salt which is basically 95% salt to 5% saltpetre. The recipe I'm using states 50g salt to 1 Litre of water.

How much water do you use for the 10oz of salt you use?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Cheers Jim,

I presume you're not in the UK as I don't think we can get saltpetre here. I had to order brining salt which is basically 95% salt to 5% saltpetre. The recipe I'm using states 50g salt to 1 Litre of water.

I'm in Cardiff, but I have a very understanding friend who gets me the Nitrate from where he works but you can get it from Amazon believe it or not

Amazon.co.uk: salt petre food grade

Cardiff - I worked for NAW/WAG a few years back, lovely place.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I dont use any water in the steep I just mix it all together and rub it in the meat, dont roll the meat up. and turn it every day , keep in in the fridge in a large bowl covered with a cloth, drain any liquid that forms but leave it dry until all the mixture has been absorbed into the meat then roll and tie the meat and into slow cooker, with water just covering the meat

This will end up almost like Pastrami

My salt beef cure has just arrived in the post today so I'll be starting a brine this weekend with a view to having a salt beef brisket on the table for the boxing day bash.

Has anyone done this before? I've got a few ideas from 'tinternet, but any first hand experiences shared would be gratefully received.

Ta.
Only had it once at a mates in NZ ,VERY tasty ,Good Luck!

Cheers Jim,

You should be able to get saltpeter from your chemists , its also usefull for making black powder.

You should be able to get saltpeter from your chemists , its also usefull for making black powder.
I had many 'interesting' experiences with home made black powder in my teens, but when I went to chemists last week to see if I could get some, he told me it was strictly off limits. I only wanted an half ounce for the cooking but no way.

I had many 'interesting' experiences with home made black powder in my teens, but when I went to chemists last week to see if I could get some, he told me it was strictly off limits. I only wanted an half ounce for the cooking but no way.
As another poster says freely available on Amazon:thumright:

You can get saltpetre in UK, just ask your local chemist for Sodium Nitrate. It is a constituent of gunpowder so let him raise his eyebrows, but when you tell him why you want it he will understand.

Just for the record, many common chemicals in use in the home today are also explosive constituents, but no one raises an eyebrow about their employment in the home cos they don't know what they are.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Might be difficult to get from a pharmacy especially a large chain. I had to make a special order to get iodine! They are like supermarkets and if it's not on the plan they often can't put it on the shelves. Magnesium sulphate paste is also something difficult to get these days.

You should be able to get Magnesium sulphate from a decent garden centre.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Might be difficult to get from a pharmacy especially a large chain. I had to make a special order to get iodine! They are like supermarkets and if it's not on the plan they often can't put it on the shelves. Magnesium sulphate paste is also something difficult to get these days.
The splinter-drawing compound? Shit... Bloody useful stuff and I usually need it if I do any chippying.

Back on thread. Never heard of this stuff before but sounds interesting. What difference does having a little pottasium nitrate mixed in the sodium chloride make to the taste/texture of the meat? I ask cos I've never heard of it used in cooking and I'm thinking of making my own biltong soon and part of the process requires salting the meat before hanging it to dry.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flight The NAAFI Bar 22
diehard57 Army Reserve 11
johnEXvma RAC 15