Salsa spy loses appeal bid

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SOLO, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An Army corporal - and former Brighton salsa instructor - today lost an appeal against his 10-year jail sentence for spying for Iran.

Daniel James, who had access to the highest echelons of the Nato mission in Kabul as personal interpreter to Britain's top general in the country, was caught red-handed betraying his country in a series of coded emails.

In November last year the 45-year-old, of Cliff Road, Brighton, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of a single count of communicating information useful to an enemy.

The charge, under the Official Secrets Act, related to emails he sent to Colonel Mohammad Hossein Heydari, military attache at the Iranian embassy in Kabul.

Iranian-born James, who came to Britain as a teenager, was present in the dock of the Court of Appeal today to hear the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge, sitting with two other judges in London, dismiss his appeal against his “too long” jail term.

Lord Judge, in rejecting the challenge, said the court had reached a “clear conclusion in this case” - the reasons for the decision will be given at a later date.

James, a flamboyant fantasist who styled himself “General James”, believed he had been denied promotion because of racism and jealousy.

The Territorial Army soldier, who was working for General David Richards at the time of his arrest in 2006, denied being a spy.

James, a salsa dance teacher in civilian life, claimed he had remained a loyal soldier.

In one of his coded e-mails, he told the colonel: "I am at your service."

James was found guilty of one count of breaching the Official Secrets Act by communicating information to an enemy.

He was described in court as a flamboyant fantasist who had invited his boss to salsa dance.
  2. He should count himself lucky it's only 10 years.
  3. Hang the traitor!
    On a serious note, I dont think 10 years is long enough.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer (c) Auntie

Confirmation from the bee bee cee. He'll probably do his time in Long Lartin, rather than the more historically appropriate Tower of London. Shame.
  5. "Iranian Born Soldier in British Army Spied for Iran - Because He was Victim of “Racial Discrimination”

"James has denied the charges and says that he has been set up by someone who hates him."

Some of the first class comments on the BNP site...

'why do the British Army need interpeters. We seemed to manage without them once upon a time. Still it to talk with the insurgence lawyers no doubt.'

'If we can remove Germans and Italians from homes and jobs during the time of WWII then what's the difference here and now...?

The government is harbouring potential enemies within our ranks, many no doubt posing as 'sleepers' and are worried more about offending people than the lives of ordinary Britons.

The solution is the BNP in government. If you haven't yet joined, then do so immediately, THEN COME AND MEET US.'

'And how many more are there in the Armed Forces, Police and court and council services all working away at undermining and betraying our country and its true heirs ?

Only last week we had Trevor Phillips objecting to the British Army being made up of British people. Duh!

These maggots are eating away at our nation, aided and abetted by politicians from all the main parties as well as all the neo-marxists and assorted malcontents and islamists in public offices across the land.

Vote them out and then we can sack all the fifth columnists. '

'This IS entirely the gov't own fault, their SO blatent in their every action/attitude, in anything to do with security of this country ! There should only be British personnel in the ranks of the British forces or any other establishment that is responsible for security; there has been too many confidential records/discs going adrift over the past months it makes one wonder just why this IS! Traitors to Britain should be SHOT! Roll on election time so we can get a desent, loyal BNP Government IN!'

'He should never have been a "British" soldier in the first place. '

'They are never working for us - NEVER, EVER. '
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Nice to see that grammar and spelling take such a high priority with the BNP ;-(

You know what happens when a doctor taps you on the knee? that's right, it jerks.

One Iranian born individual betrays his adopted country and it logically follows that all immigrants to the UK will do the same. It's the logic of the playground.

Still, if I get to laugh and point at such idiocy and the idiots spouting it I suppose that I shouldn't complain too loudly.
  7. thats what most people say about the BNP :D

Good to see a well thought out and structured opinion from the BNP there. {/sarcasm}
  8. bloke was an amusing tool.
    But to use him for something important your having a giggle
  9. 10 years in jail seems a very long jail sentence 8O you could murder someone and get less :?
  10. Such a shame. Since this berk was apparently born in Iran I don't suppose there's any chance of stripping him of his British citizenship and deporting him back there once his sentence has been served is there?
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Nope it's only four words long.

:D Didja see what I did there?
  12. What a fcuking mong! Do these people know nothing?
  13. haha.. love it :D

the guy deserves harsh jail term for what he did. but makes you think about the british courts system. how can a killer get less of sentence etc 8O
  14. Today up in Edinburgh, a gang of paedophiles who raped children as young as 3 months were given sentences of as little as 2 yrs. I love the British justice system.
  15. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

10 years is a long time when you see that drink driving killers get token sentences and the Baby P Abusers all got a 'Life sentence' with a minimum tariff of 6-10 years. It's b0llocks really.

Not that I condone what this deluded fantasist did. He is the worst kind of traitor and a James Bond walt of the highest order. He should be in irons in the tower.