Salem and Rockport

I have a few days to kill in Boston Ma in mid October. Ive seen the city on numerous occasions and fancied seeing somewhere else for a change. I'm considering driving from the airport to Rockport for a Friday night and then back to Salem for the Sat and Sun.
Anyone visited these places before and have any advice? or recommend somewhere better to visit?

I know @DavidBOC lived /lives in this area.

I would suggest lots of garlic, holy water and crucifixes if planning on a visit to Salem, they had a bit of a vampire infestation.

Oh, is that my taxi....

Salem is fascinating. The clapboard houses are lovely, the Peabody Museum is very good (our friend is a docent there), the tall ship in the harbour is beautifully done, the Nathaniel Hawthorn house, etc. Honestly, definitely worth a trip - take the ferry from Boston. Hallowe’en is a good time to go as they go all out to make it special.

Salem is fascinating. The clapboard houses are lovely, the Peabody Museum is very good (our friend is a docent there), the tall ship in the harbour is beautifully done, the Nathaniel Hawthorn house, etc. Honestly, definitely worth a trip - take the ferry from Boston. Hallowe’en is a good time to go as they go all out to make it special.
Thanks for the info WW.

To each their own. For me Salem is way too 'Glastonbury spooky' and overrun with shops flogging mystic tat. I much prefer Marblehead, complete with 17th C Fort Sewall, some beautiful old sea captains mansions, and Abbott Hall (home of the 'Spirit of '76' painting).

Latest Threads