Salamon Arouch

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pombsen-armchair-warrior, May 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flicking through the Daily Telegraph yesterday and one of the obituaries caught my eye. Absolutely incredible tale of one individuals personal struggle for survival during WW2.

Incarcerated in Auschwitz with his family, and after enduring the gassing of all female members of his family on the first day in the camp, he was put to work as a prize fighter for German entertainment. The stakes were extremely high - if he won, he lived, if he lost, he died. Simple as that, but this chap survived for over 2 years, clocking up 208 KOs' on the way.

To cap it all, when the camp was liberated by the British, he offered to put on an exhibition, if any British takers could be found. Two came forward and were both KO'd.

Incredible tale.

2. Got a link? Auschwitz was liberated by the Russians. Seems an odd detail for the Telegraph to have got wrong.

3. It would appear that he went to Belsen to look for surviving members of his family, because that is where he met his wife, perhaps that is where he fought Brit boxers.

4. I think you may be right.

5. I also read this article on my tea-break lastnight.

Nails bloke!!

Theres also been a few good pieces in about old soldiers who have passed away recently, which made impressive reading.

Im not a Telegraph reader normally, its the only Brit paper i can get out here in the Danish sector, but its not a bad paper actually.