Saladin still around - in Honduras

Discussion in 'RAC' started by light_projector, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why not it was and still is a good bit of kit if it ain't broke why change it, look at the .5 M2 Browning it first was issued in 1919

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Yes I saw pictures on Sky News last night and thought then how appropriate it was to the situation.

3. I also saw them and presumed that it was elderly stock footage. It seems that Alvis has yet to leave the building. ;)

4. Not quite.

The First Issue .50 was the M1921 Browning Watercooled(None of which were issued to units until 1925). IIRC it wasnt until 1920 when the round as its seen today was finally type classified by Frankford Arsenal(though work started in 1918 between Winchester, Browning, & Ordnance). Between then there was a lot of experimentation with Belted cases, rebated rims, semi rims, rimmed cases, velocity etc.

Only 1,000 Guns were delivered between 1925 & 1934(most between 1929 and 1934).

As to the Saladin, if you dont have Anti Tank weapons, a Saladin might as well be a MBT when your facing it. Still has a capable gun as you said.

5. They have 50 Saladin and a slack handful of Scimitar and Scorpion too!

6. I was a bit out but it was only an upscaled version of the M1917 realy to take the >50 round which was ripped of from the 13mm Mauser PAG

7. Indeed it has even spoilt some MBT's days too. Kuwaiti ones being used to destroy several Iraqi T-55's back in GW1 (hardly a top of the line tank, but good drills to the armoured car crews any way!). The 76mm proving very effective in built up areas at short range with HEAT.

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

The 76 had a HEAT round? You learn something new every day.

9. Indeed. Not something I was aware of.

10. Funnily enough I was looking at one at a military vehicle show a couple o weeks ago.
    Was quite pretty!!

11. Swot I did my first driving test on.

Todays useless piece of Sally-can info;

.75ltr wine bottles store neatly in 76 mm shell racks.

12. Hoochie - any idea who made the HEAT round?

13. And 26 Cans of beer fitted well in the ' Kühlschrank ' namely the Barrel.
    Great in summer weather until Sqn. Ldr. pulls the bung out in your Def. Posn. He found it original and let it pass. Bob. :D :D