Saladin afv

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Blackcat, Mar 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doe's anybody know when the saladin was phased out of service and with whom it last served, Just been looking at a hypothetical scenario of a soviet invasion of germany in 1985, one of the yeomanry units is listed as being equipped with saladins, I would of thought by then that the fox had taken over the role ?.
  2. i aint a geezer who knows too much 'bout 'out but (im pissed up too by the way)
    Six wheels on the wheel statons insted of four and a 76 versus the 30mm, it was all a version of what we had to repel the hoard not what was good and in vogue. Mass Armour vs the pitiful, still aint a good match but at least you got LOA back then!
  3. Saladin was produced from 1956 until '72, when it begun to be replaced by Scorpion.

Suppose given the time it takes to introduce vehicles, it could still be in TA units in '85?
  4. Yeomanry I saw on Ex Lionheart (1984) were equipped with Fox.
  5. Lionheart, now that was one hell of an excercise (I may hastily add.... watched by me out of bedroom of MQ in Bielefeld as a kid)!
  6. There's a vid about of a pair of Kuwati ones having a pop at Iraqi armour with HESH rounds....
  7. I think they were still in service in 1989 in Cyprus; pretty sure I saw one motoring up happy valley in Epi Garrison.
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I was going to bring up Cyprus: AFAIK our C Sqn had them in 1976-7. Helluva a turnaround to get them out of the regulars and the TA in 8 years.
  9. C Sqn 1 RTR certainly had them in Cyprus Nov 82 - Nov 84. The Sovereign base Armoured Car Sqn was certainly the only regular unit to still be equipped with Saladin at that time.
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Last one I saw was a gate guard at Lisanelly in 88!
  11. I did a Lion Sun in early 1990 and I'm pretty sure i saw a saladin there. I might have been imagining it though, as a lot of brandy sour ws consumed. BTW, there is now a Saladin gate guard at Epi.