Sala - the latest...

Splitz

Old-Salt
There seems to be so much that went wrong in ths story - now this:

We have a football agent who admits hiring a plane and pilot but says he didn't know the details of what he was paying for. (|Why would he? Don't we all buy goods and services without enquiring what we're getting?) We have a club who apparently arranged for a seat on a commercial scheduled flight, but probably the agent urged Sala to take the private flight instead because he thought he could add his margin to the cost. And we have an aircraft that even I know was not suitable for such a journey piloted by a man who wasn't qualified to undertake the flight.

All of that has come out subsequently but at the time of the accident one thing stuck me immediately; the plane was operating in Europe but registered in the USA. How it got here is a mystery because it certainly didn't fly the Atlantic - but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can tell me; was the plane subject to regular airworthiness inspections? I'm sure UK-registered planes in the UK are, just as UK-registered cars are subject to an MOT. And I'm pretty sure the USA has similar airworthiness requirements for US-registered planes over there. But being a US-registered plane located in Europe did this one slip through the net and not be registered for inspection by either? Because it certainly sounds as though it might have been short on maintainance...

There seems to be so much that went wrong in ths story - now this:

We have a football agent who admits hiring a plane and pilot but says he didn't know the details of what he was paying for. (|Why would he? Don't we all buy goods and services without enquiring what we're getting?) We have a club who apparently arranged for a seat on a commercial scheduled flight, but probably the agent urged Sala to take the private flight instead because he thought he could add his margin to the cost. And we have an aircraft that even I know was not suitable for such a journey piloted by a man who wasn't qualified to undertake the flight.

All of that has come out subsequently but at the time of the accident one thing stuck me immediately; the plane was operating in Europe but registered in the USA. How it got here is a mystery because it certainly didn't fly the Atlantic - but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can tell me; was the plane subject to regular airworthiness inspections? I'm sure UK-registered planes in the UK are, just as UK-registered cars are subject to an MOT. And I'm pretty sure the USA has similar airworthiness requirements for US-registered planes over there. But being a US-registered plane located in Europe did this one slip through the net and not be registered for inspection by either? Because it certainly sounds as though it might have been short on maintainance...

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not uncommon but I forget which news article.

Serpico

Old-Salt
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not uncommon but I forget which news article.
Aye, think you're right, sure I read it was something to do with more relaxed maintenance rules over there

TBH OP, I think the discovery of carbon monoxide kinda lays the whole thing to rest as it were, a bizarre story with many oddities as you point out, but at least it looks as though we know how the plane went down now. Sala snoozing in the back as the pilot starts to think "sh*te, I'm not feeling so great..." Horrific.

Oh i can see a humdinger of a court case on the offing now!

Watched something similar on Telly last night, Aircrash Alaska.. Small aircraft pulls heat into the cabin from the outside of an exaust manifold, maintenance guys modify the system to pull heat from the opposite manifold as well, system appeared to leak causing the pilot to black out and goodnight Vienna...

Watched something similar on Telly last night, Aircrash Alaska.. Small aircraft pulls heat into the cabin from the outside of an exaust manifold, maintenance guys modify the system to pull heat from the opposite manifold as well, system appeared to leak causing the pilot to black out and goodnight Vienna...
And it seemed that it was done on the whole fleet.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

I flew in a Motor Falke glider once. Luckily it was not a long flight as the cockpit reeked of exhaust fumes and it's been the only time in hundreds of hours of GA I've ever felt airsick. Luckily, I wasn't.

Latest Threads