Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bandalong, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any one else enjoy this particular tipple?

I am finding it more to my taste than white whine with any Asian food.

I understand it can be served warmed or chilled, but have only tried it warmed up.

What sort of variations can you get (from experience)?
  2. Adopt a thick piss-taking "oriental" accent and say, "Taste like cheap sherry!"

Rice doesn't have the nutrients in it that barley (or grapes) has to nourish the yeast. Maybe that explains the sake head/breath that people get.
  3. Yep Sake does it for me.

Carcass, a fellow arrser, is also a connosieur of that fine brew.
  4. Quel concidence! I've had plenty of it in the past, and liked it, but I went shopping on Tuesday for ingredients for spicy garlic prawns with asparagus and sack posset (watch 'The Supersizers go...' for lots of interesting historical eating options you may not have thought of), and came across sake on the speciality shelves of Sainsburys so bought a bottle. Didn't taste anything like I remembered, so used it to cook with (anathema for someone who likes a drink!). I warmed it up in a bowl over hot water as well. Did I do something wrong?
  5. Captain Calamity...

Using a bain marie type idea as you did would certainly work.

The Japanese have wee porcelain bottles they decant the sake into and warm it up in the same manner by standing in warm water - I think?

The sake was probably just a cr*p make?.....

Arssers clarify... GO!!!! :D
  6. I have drunk it a lot, doing Kendo with loads of mad Japs so they used to ring ack when they went home. I found it got my legs drunk first. You felt sober untill I tried to stand and then I just fell over. Its great stuff.
  7. yep I love it!!!

Mind you I like lots of different booze....

Sake mmmmm.

Cold sake = hiya
    Warm sake = nurukan (40c)
    Hot sake = atsukan/karakuchi (50/60c)
    Sweet sake = amakuchi

Also there's Shohchuu (discussed earlier), which can be mixed with hot water and/or soda and fruit syrup.

Bobath lost his account - where were you studying Kendo?
  8. If you buy "Hakatsuru" sake it comes with sake cups and small serving jug.Its nice warm but has a tendancy to creep up on you after a few wets!

That's right I forgot about that brand....

The ceramic bottle its warmed up in is called a tokkuri and the wee cups (4?) are called choko.

If I remember correctly...

Not had any sake for a wee while as my Japanese chums are back in Japan at the moment.
  10. Tried it unfortunatly decided it not a taste for me .
  11. I studied it at uni maney moons ago and went of to teach it part time at an Iaido club not far away. I was lucky enough to practice with the GB squad in London for about two years.
    Unfortunatly my club shut down a while ago and I haven't fenced since I went on tour in 2005.

One of my old Jap sensie's used to show up with the worst sake breath in the world. If he got to close it would knock you over.
  12. As you might gather from my login name, I am living out in Japan and one of the great pleasures of being here (apart from the women) is the sake.
    It can be served either warm or cold, I prefer cold, and in many different containers. Traditional sake containers are small, square, wooden boxes which, despite much practice, still cause me to spill a decent quantity down my chin, even when still sober. I prefer the porcelain cup which is stood in a small bowl and then the sake poured in. The cup is allowed to overflow by about half as much again as it holds so that as you drink it you can replenish the cup from the bowl underneath.
    After 2 years here I still have not worked out what is what in terms of dry/sweet etc. but I usually let the girlfriend or another Japanese friend choose for me when we are out. Whatever I have I always seem to get p1ssed fairly quickly.
    If you like sake I would also recommend that you try Shochu, although I don't know how easy it is to get hold of in the UK, which is similar but usually made from grain or potatoes. It is usually drunk neat, preferably over ice, or diluted with either hot or cold water depending upon your preference. In the summer however when it is hot and humid it is very refreshing when mixed with freshly squeezed fruit juice, especially grapefruit juice - just what you need when sitting in a tiny open air restaurant eating grilled unidentifiable things on sticks.
  13. Welcome to Japan, God I miss the crazy place.
  14. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I like Sake and Japanese beer as well! In the beer I like Sapporo the best; however, I drank a lot of Asahi Kirin as well. (Three Years in Japan, on Occupation duty.)

I still drink Sake, whenever I eat at a japanese restaurant, I prefer it warm. I seldom drink it other than with japanese food. I'm a Kentucky Bourbon (Woodford Reserve) drinker. My Japanese friends tell me that there are many brands of Sake, some better than others; however, I never really noticed much difference, as Sake was Sake to me. (I'm sure their right though.)

Sapporo beer, is one that I would drink anytime I got the chance. I prefer it over the Chinese beer Tsingtao. I usually drink Sapporo when eating at Chinese restaurants, as I like beer with both types of asian food. I do like Singha Thai beer with their spicy hot food.

On a recent vacation trip, I visited the Sapporo brewery near Sapporo, Japan, We were offered lots of samples and had a good tour of the facility.
  15. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Forgive my ignorance, but from a cooking [NOT drinking] perspective it's really just a sort of rice sherry, isn't it?