Saint Georges Day

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Apr 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. St George's Day is celebrated by the several nations, kingdoms, countries, and cities of which Saint George is the patron saint. St George's Day is celebrated on 23 April, the traditionally accepted date of Saint George's death in AD 303. For Eastern Orthodox Churches who use the Julian calendar, 23 April corresponds to 6 May on the civil calendar.

St George's Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Countries that celebrate St George's Day include England, Canada, Portugal, Cyprus, Greece, Georgia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Republic of Macedonia. Cities include Moscow in Russia, Genova in Italy, Ljubljana in Slovenia, Beirut in Lebanon, Qormi and Victoria in Malta and many others. It is also celebrated in the old kingdoms and counties of the Crown of Aragon in Spain—Aragon, Catalonia, Valencia, and Palestine.

St George's Day is known as the Feast of Saint George by Palestinians and is celebrated in the Monastery of Saint George in al-Khader, near Bethlehem. It is also known as Georgemas.
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I heard on the radio tonight that you couldn't celebrate St Georges day today as it's a holy day (Easter Saturday)
    Don't know how true that is but thats what the boy on teh BBC was spouting off about
    I suppose in the pecking order of mythilogical figures a dragon killer ranks lower than the Son of God pulling off an escape trick
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Roses must have been hard to come by in April in days of yore, or were they always imported from Kenya?

Don't forget it is also Shakespeares birthday.
  4. ....a significant day for The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers those serving, ex-Fusiliers and those no longer with us RIP.
  5. St Georges Flag is flying at chez dave......

For God and St George!!
  6. I think we should have gone with St Edmund. .... this was proposed a short while ago but was pooh poohed.... I suspect too many black adder repeats on telly was the reason .
  7. I'm awaiting the iminent arrival of some hand wringing liberal pinkoes telling us it is oh so wrong to be celebrating our Patron Saint.And that instead we should be remembering the alleged atrocities of our colonial history.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Even more reason to celebrate, if it annoys the pinkos then I say enjoy it more! ;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Yer'll get nicked for flying the flag these days.
  10. I will be in Bernies bar, Ho Chi Minge, tonight having a beer in celebration of St Georges day. I have two toasts in mind:

a. The Queen!
    b. Confusion to the Ffrench.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

You did originally. George was foisted upon you by the frogs after they gave you a kicking.
  12. Sure it was the Frogs and not the Normans, Old Boy?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. They weren't frogs back then; they were Normans which was a suzerainty of France. A bit like saying Scottish people are English.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Spot on, cherry beret.
  15. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's twice today Scots have pulled up the English today about their accuracy concerning their national Saint, yourself here and me in the earlier thread.

I'll put in down to our superior education. :)