Sailors to get extra cash for Libya role

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by exbluejob, Jul 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SAILORS in warships off Libya will receive an extra £30 a day.
    The Ministry of Defence said personnel in the Libyan warzone are eligible for Operational Allowance.
    This means pilots and aircrew operating over the Libyan landmass and the crew of ships and submarines operating within 12 nautical miles of the coast will receive an extra £29.02 for each day served in the specific areas.
    The payments will be backdated to March 18 this year when the United Nations resolution was signed.
    The warships called into Libya so far are HMS Cumberland, HMS York, HMS Westminster, HMS Liverpool, HMS Brocklesby, HMS Bangor, HMS Albion and HMS Ocean.

Sailors to get extra cash for Libya role - East Hampshire - The News

2. Are you trying to inflame the dirty shell scrape dwelling pongos on arrse in to gobbing off about who deserves operational allowances?

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Why has the MOD RSS feed not released this?
    If were paying the RAF £30 to stop on an airfield in accomodation or live in a hotel why not pay the Navy danger money to stay on their ships?

Soldiers,Sailors and Airmen getting paid extra money to do their jobs who'd have thought it.
    I can appreciate that it's a tad dangerous in Aghanistan and Iraq but Italy?
    I suppose one of the pilots who was found leglless face down in the street could have broke his nose when he fell

My old grandad would have left the Army the equivillant of a millionaire in 1945

• Like Like x 1
  4. Perish the thought! But only Navy and RAF will get this wodge and being ex RAF I wanted to make the good news known, did you see what I did there?

5. Its called the iPod allowance - those things arent cheap and its devastating when theyre taken off you.....

WTF, Im slagging off my own service!

6. 2 Ships in that list will get OA, every other one of them was either there before 18 Mar 11, or have not closed within 12nm.

7. So what, in my humble opinion there are probably five out of ten of the blokes (navy/RAF) over there that are truly earning their op allowance, the other five are living it up in hotels or scoffing pizzas and generally being fat shitbags but then that's exactly the same as Afghanistan (not the hotels bit tbf)

8. Stand down the outrage APC, it's a lovely PR gimmick, bugger all matelots will get it. A few will, but, not many. Dunno about the RAF, they are after all outside their comfot zone and working weekends.

9. OA for talking holiday snaps of the beach at Misrata?. ;p

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Some intricate working back of charts needed here perhaps. How long is a 'day'? A whole 24hrs? Eight minutes? Ships move about, some may have spent several days inshore dpoing things (or even alongside rescuing people), some have nipped in, bashed something, nipped out. A bit of a lottery here.

11. As far as I know for the RAF it's only the aircrew over Libya that get the OA. So it doesn't include the fat techies mincing around Italy with thief essential MTP grab bags, scoffing pizza and ice cream.

12. I had no idea that so many ships were due to be scrapped.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bead window!

14. Navigators all over the Fleet were doing that over Thursday lunchtime. The cursing from the chart house was something to behold....

15. That was my thought as well, is this some form of hidden redundancy payment?