Sailor Goes A Bit Overboard

Wow!! I knew Mo.

Leading Seaman (Above Water Warfare)

Is this an official rank?

Leading seaman is the rank, above water warfare is the branch. Actually now known as LOM (AWW) Leading operator mechanic above water warfare. Basically a cross between weapon engineer and gunner. (He fires guns and also strips and cleans them)

Leading Seaman (Above Water Warfare)

Is this an official rank?
Wah shield up.
Yep, Leading Seaman is his rate (rank) Above Water Warfare is his trade. Just how the RN does it.
Wah shield down.

Sent from my HTC Desire using ARRSE mobile app

45 and still only a Leading Hand? Methinks he has previous!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
He could have been passed for PO for ages but opted to stay a killick at sea. I was passed for PO but if I'd have got my POs up I'd have had to be shorebased for 8 months at Pompey doing the course then spend a mandatory 2 years shoreside instructing - paying food & accom and losing sea pay. Financially I was better off staying as a killick. At my point of leaving - the lowest band of PO's pay was lower than the highest band of killicks pay, which I was on. They truly ****ed up the payscales.

He could have been passed for PO for ages but opted to stay a killick at sea. I was passed for PO but if I'd have got my POs up I'd have had to be shorebased for 8 months at Pompey doing the course then spend a mandatory 2 years shoreside instructing - paying food & accom and losing sea pay. Financially I was better off staying as a killick. At my point of leaving - the lowest band of PO's pay was lower than the highest band of killicks pay, which I was on. They truly ****ed up the payscales.
But you wouldn't have gone on to the lower band of PO, surely. You'd have gone in on the band that was equivalent to 2.6% or higher. Is OM Operator Mechanic, to Operator Maintainer?

Whilst one cannot condone his actions I cannot help but think that perhaps if some people serving didn't have the mentality that their little corner of the armed forces is their own personal train set then maybe he wouldn't have felt the need to act like such a cock to begin with.

But you wouldn't have gone on to the lower band of PO, surely. You'd have gone in on the band that was equivalent to 2.6% or higher. Is OM Operator Mechanic, to Operator

Operator mechanic/maintainer...same thing. My payband would have been lower until part 1 taskbooks completed and coupled with the loss of lssb and paying food and accom...it was simply not worth it. Any pay increase was not enough to mitigate those losses stuck shoreside for nearly 3 years.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Leading seaman is the rank, above water warfare is the branch. Actually now known as LOM (AWW) Leading operator mechanic above water warfare. Basically a cross between weapon engineer and gunner. (He fires guns and also strips and cleans them)
Your a bit out of date there. Operator Mechanics are long gone. In the Warfare branch Leading Seaman then the trade.

45 and still only a Leading Hand? Methinks he has previous!

A bit of a different culture compared to Percy but for Jack there's no shame in staying at Leading Hand level. I've known many matelots who have ended their careers as a Killick. One in particular who constantly turned down promotion yet went on to do 2O/E as a L/H.

Some of these guys are very good at their job, but don't have the desire to seek advancement, even though they are more than capable.

I know the RN has its fair share of numpties, but having worked tri-service on a couple of occasions, so do the crabs. I've also seen enough pongos that struggle to walk and talk at the same time without tripping over their own knuckles.

Whilst one cannot condone his actions I cannot help but think that perhaps if some people serving didn't have the mentality that their little corner of the armed forces is their own personal train set then maybe he wouldn't have felt the need to act like such a cock to begin with.
This x 10.

There is management that needs a ****ing axe in the face

Throw in a family drama, too much sea time and some Dartmouth chinless "**** you management" and you've got a flash point

How many of these "incidents" could be managed out of existence before they get even close to Courts Martial

Bootneck/NAAFI head on. **** the low achieving Jack twat, suprised he managed to even find a breeder

It's entirely plausible that he was just passing the officer's cabin whilst carrying the rifle. As an AWW he would have had access to the gunner's store keys and part of his normal duties would have included moving weapons and bits of them around. The three rounds though - he would not have had direct access to. It would not however be too difficult for someone in his position to obtain them over a period of time with a little planning.