Sailor Goes A Bit Overboard

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by zero-over, Jul 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow!! I knew Mo.
  2. Sounds like he was under a huge amount of pressure in the circumstances and he actually has my sympathy.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Leading Seaman (Above Water Warfare)

Is this an official rank?
    • Like Like x 1

4. Leading seaman is the rank, above water warfare is the branch. Actually now known as LOM (AWW) Leading operator mechanic above water warfare. Basically a cross between weapon engineer and gunner. (He fires guns and also strips and cleans them)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Wah shield up.
    Yep, Leading Seaman is his rate (rank) Above Water Warfare is his trade. Just how the RN does it.
    Wah shield down.

Sent from my HTC Desire using ARRSE mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  6. He could have been passed for PO for ages but opted to stay a killick at sea. I was passed for PO but if I'd have got my POs up I'd have had to be shorebased for 8 months at Pompey doing the course then spend a mandatory 2 years shoreside instructing - paying food & accom and losing sea pay. Financially I was better off staying as a killick. At my point of leaving - the lowest band of PO's pay was lower than the highest band of killicks pay, which I was on. They truly ****ed up the payscales.
  7. But you wouldn't have gone on to the lower band of PO, surely. You'd have gone in on the band that was equivalent to 2.6% or higher. Is OM Operator Mechanic, to Operator Maintainer?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Whilst one cannot condone his actions I cannot help but think that perhaps if some people serving didn't have the mentality that their little corner of the armed forces is their own personal train set then maybe he wouldn't have felt the need to act like such a cock to begin with.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I thought this thread was about the one missing in Dubai.
  10. Operator mechanic/maintainer...same thing. My payband would have been lower until part 1 taskbooks completed and coupled with the loss of lssb and paying food and was simply not worth it. Any pay increase was not enough to mitigate those losses stuck shoreside for nearly 3 years.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  11. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Your a bit out of date there. Operator Mechanics are long gone. In the Warfare branch Leading Seaman then the trade.
  12. No wah,I know very little about the ways of the fish heads.