Saffron Kilts

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'm getting married at the end of September, and would like to get hold of a saffron kilt.

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I can't find the thread.

Where can I get hold of such a kilt?

Thanks in advance

2. Mr_Fingerz

I don't suppose that you could narrow the search area could you?

3. What the hell are those fake decorations those McSpams are wearing? I refer especially to so-called Dale JohnJoseph Leppard, Lord of ClareAbbey and the other guy in the Knights Templar get up.

4. :lol: Yes the McSpams do indeed take things a little far....

Can remember during my expat exile in the Northwest US I attended a large Highland Games/festival outside Seattle and the gentleman at one tent/pavillion requested my papers to prove authentic "Scottishness" - oh how I laughed.

5. Gotta luv 'em, if not they'll just bomb you!

6. Mr Fingerz - don't be mocked by those who fail to appreciate the god-like look of a man in kilts. Instead try http://kiltstore.net/browse/mens-wear/kilts/irish-kilts.html?theme=highlandwear where you will find a variety of Irish tartans and saffron kilts to boot. They are pretty cheap and I wish I had found them before awarding Hector Russell (Glasgow) the job of dressing me as chieftain of the Clan Cuddles of That Ilk!

7. Based on the 2 dollar pound their prices are not that special, though almost any one will be less than Hector Russell. My last made to measure was less than £200 and in best quality cloth. The real thing to watch out for is the very cheap polyester imports, they tend to catch fire when warming one posterior in front of an open fire, as one does.

Peter

8. Not sure that - thus far - anyone has mocked MrFingerz, rather the McSpams in that link dressed up like the Great High Poo-Bah himself....

Another possible is www.thekiltshop.co.uk - that is the domain of the company that, seemingly, bought out "Dalgety & Son", a very well-known kiltmaker in Forfar, where my brother had his highland outift made.

Or if wishing to dabble inb the dark (modern) side.... there is always

www.utilikilts.com who do a line in leather, denim and so on :lol:

9. Mr_Fingerz

Thanks Cuddles.

10. :x
    Try a PM to london_irish, who may be able to get you a LI/RIR piper's kilt.

Avoid anything other than pure wool like the plague. Polyester, forsooth! :x :x :x :x :x :x

You may rather get fond of it, btw. Shows off a manly figure rather finely - and is extremely comfortable for many outdoor pursuits including hill-walking/grouse-shooting.

And SWYVING. 8) :D 8) 8) 8) :lol: 8)

11. Mr_Fingerz

Thank you all gentlemen.

For the record, I already wear a kilt (the Welsh St David's Tartan). I look especially fine strolling into the office in it.

Unfortunately my supplier does not sell Irish kilts and I would like one for my forthcoming nuptials.

12. If you had said that in the first place I would have told you to FO!! ;)