Saffron Kilt - what are the correct accoutrement?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have decided to go 'troppo' (or whatever the equivalent is in a cold climate). Two of my kilts have been ravaged by moths, I took them to a Belfast kilt maker to see if they could be repaired. No luck but they offered me a very good deal on a Saffron kilt which I accepted.

I intend to wear it with piper green hose brogues with a tongue and buckle (DIY job) a brown leather sporran, brown leather belt with brass snake buckle and an argyle jacket (black for evening and green tweed for day). Any comments?

What about:

Flashes?

Sgian dhu?

Kilt pin?

Green shamrock patches? Although I am badged to the Rangers in the cadet force I would definitely not be putting badges on it.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Flashes should be a single colour, to match kilt.

Sgian Dbu, either don't bother or get a safety one, I'm fed up with the number of times I've had mine taken off at the door of pubs by doormen (always returned) as you can't technically enter with a blade.

Kilt pin. Get a unique silver one made for you. I have the email of a jeweller who will make you reasonably cheaply, if you want more details PM me.

You might also want to think about white socks for evening, if wearing a black Argyle jacket.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fang-Farrier, thanks - I have all these things, its whether to wear them with a saffron kilt or not. The tailor thought that red flashes might be the thing or same colour as the kilt.

I have nice snakeshead skien brew' (bottle opener) for when a blade is not appropriate but usually wear a silver mounted one.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BuggerAll said:
Fang-Farrier, thanks - I have all these things, its whether to wear them with a saffron kilt or not. The tailor thought that red flashes might be the thing or same colour as the kilt.

I have nice snakeshead skien brew' (bottle opener) for when a blade is not appropriate but usually wear a silver mounted one.
I should have guessed when you said other two kilts were worn out!

I'm approaching it from a Scottish prospective.

Red flashes will go with anything but saffron might look a little insipid with green hose.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
old_fat_and_hairy The Book Club 0
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 17
FingeringFaye Classified Ads 2