Saffron Kilt - what are the correct accoutrement?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Nov 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have decided to go 'troppo' (or whatever the equivalent is in a cold climate). Two of my kilts have been ravaged by moths, I took them to a Belfast kilt maker to see if they could be repaired. No luck but they offered me a very good deal on a Saffron kilt which I accepted.

I intend to wear it with piper green hose brogues with a tongue and buckle (DIY job) a brown leather sporran, brown leather belt with brass snake buckle and an argyle jacket (black for evening and green tweed for day). Any comments?

What about:

Sgian dhu?

Kilt pin?

Green shamrock patches? Although I am badged to the Rangers in the cadet force I would definitely not be putting badges on it.
  2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Flashes should be a single colour, to match kilt.

Sgian Dbu, either don't bother or get a safety one, I'm fed up with the number of times I've had mine taken off at the door of pubs by doormen (always returned) as you can't technically enter with a blade.

Kilt pin. Get a unique silver one made for you. I have the email of a jeweller who will make you reasonably cheaply, if you want more details PM me.

You might also want to think about white socks for evening, if wearing a black Argyle jacket.
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fang-Farrier, thanks - I have all these things, its whether to wear them with a saffron kilt or not. The tailor thought that red flashes might be the thing or same colour as the kilt.

I have nice snakeshead skien brew' (bottle opener) for when a blade is not appropriate but usually wear a silver mounted one.
  4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I should have guessed when you said other two kilts were worn out!

I'm approaching it from a Scottish prospective.

Red flashes will go with anything but saffron might look a little insipid with green hose.