• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Safety deposit box raids

#2
I thought the article goes on to say that the police haven't actually opened any of the boxes yet - so therefore they are rather telling porkies about the "£1bn of drugs, cash and guns".
 
#3
I can see the Met falling flat on its face with this. remember the "Huge cache of illegal arms" find of a couple of years ago in Kent. They didn't even manage a prosecution out of that.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#4
Is it me or does £100 per year rental income not seem worth charging someone with living of the proceeds of crime?
I hope they are able to restore the private property that they will no doubt uncover in their ever so delicate investigations and be prepared to compensate those whose heirlooms are damaged or lost during this one size fits all hamfisted attempt to be the untouchables?
 
#5
EX_STAB said:
I can see the Met falling flat on its face with this. remember the "Huge cache of illegal arms" find of a couple of years ago in Kent. They didn't even manage a prosecution out of that.
Does have a very familar air about it: big publicity splash, lurid details leaked, phots etc etc. And to the extent it actually targets criminal assets and hinder evil doers fair play. But......

"The Met’s Assistant Commissioner John Yates said that intelligence from the two-year inquiry, codenamed Operation Rize, indicated that between 50 and 90 per cent of the boxes were connected to major British and International crime gangs, including drug and gun smugglers, fraudsters, people traffickers and paedophile and prostitution rings. The size of the boxes ranged from small drawers to walk-in closets. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ing-1m-cash-police-organised-crime-raids.html

Now that says that between 10% and 50% are in his view NOT connected to major British and International crime gangs, including drug and gun smugglers, fraudsters, people traffickers and paedophile and prostitution rings. But they are swept up and their private affairs invaded in the most crass and public of ways. Their legal advice on such a blanket trawl approach better be rock solid.

Mighty dangerous game to be playing, especially in Park Lane. Who knows what you might find, who it might belong to and where that could lead.
 
#7
I ran a group of safe deposits for some years after leaving the 'mob'. It was not the one in question. There were some very shady characters about but our 'customer vetting procedures' deterred most of them.

Occasionally the Met or City Police would turn up and demand to open a box. If they had the correct paper-work from a Court and they had made an appointment for one of our technicians to be present then the box was opened. If not we 'no could do'. The boxes are designed NOT to be forced open!

We were bought out and frankly I don't miss the business. 95% of customers were lovely but the other 5% ............. .

We tried very hard to lobby Parliment to legislate for an appropriate framework to set up and operate a safe deposit, but with no luck.

The Knightsbridge Safe Deposit raid was an 'inside job', when the owner ordered a guard to disobey the most important 'standing order' and thus the guard inadvertently delivered the vaults into the hands of the 'baddies'.
 

Latest Threads