Safestyle uk

I have had both Anglian and Everest round for quotes. The building is an old school built in 1861 of local stone, it stands in a conservation area so the windows have to be wooden. the quotes were for 36 windows, 450mm x 1450mm and one window 2000mm x 2450mm. Anglian quoted £59,550.00, Everest quoted £75100.00, neither of these figures are mistyped. After I received the Everest quote they came back to me with a 42 percent discount which was turned down, they have since left me alone. After I turned down Anglians effort they rang me and said they were doing a fifty percent offer on all old quotes, he then asked me how much they had quoted, I told him just over 59 and a half k, there was then a silence and then he said, no, and hung up.

I am currently looking at a family firm from the West Mids who I saw at the Homebuilding Show at the NEC. I will report back.
How was the Home building show? I meant to go, but had to miss it at the last minute.

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Try Leamore windows, a mid size company, from wallsall, they done my gaff, Very reasonable, excellent build quality, good after sales service, over the last 2 years or so, they have done £20k's worth of work. No problems with them at all, turn up on time, no extras, no hidden charges, clean up after themselves. worth a call.
01922- 473737.
Many thanks, I will give them a shout and see what happens.

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
How was the Home building show? I meant to go, but had to miss it at the last minute.
It was good for us Dingerr, we are converting our school into a house for the two of us so we were looking for specific things, underfloor heating, windows and doors, stonework such as mantels for three fire places. I went to the same show three years ago and it was a bit better then but we saw all we needed to see and had a good day and did some good deals with people who wanted to do business. There was an absence of spivs.

We've gone with a local company called Heronhurst from Abergavenny. They dont really advertise as such , but they have been recommended by 3 seperate people. Local showroom where you can actually view the products and they have that family business ethos. SWMBO is impressed by them, so I'm happy.

Fitting is scheduled for 2nd week of July.

It was good for us Dingerr, we are converting our school into a house for the two of us so we were looking for specific things, underfloor heating, windows and doors, stonework such as mantels for three fire places. I went to the same show three years ago and it was a bit better then but we saw all we needed to see and had a good day and did some good deals with people who wanted to do business. There was an absence of spivs.
Thanks, next year I’ll be trying to find a quarter acre of land and build a bungalow.

Righty ho.
French doors and new windows fitted by Heronhurst yesterday.
Very professional , very polite lads that turned up. The quality of the windows and the workmanship was excellent. The firm have been a pleasure to deal with from start to finish, and I have no hesitation in recommending them to other people.

Look at this one. Getting into the construction shows is never a problem.

Build Show - UK Construction Week | 2018

If you are after underfloor heating have a look at these. They used to run a one day familiarisation course, which even if you do not use their gear is worth attending if they still run it - just to get a flavour of what is involved.

Underfloor Heating for Britain’s homes – Polypipe Underfloor Heating

Underfloor heating seems to be the big thing now, but just a couple of points.......

It is seperated from the main heating system by electrical valves, pump, thermostats etc beyond the ken of your average plumber, so when it goes wrong, you might have a wait to find someone to fix it.

It's buried under floor tiles or similar, so you need to destroy the floor if it springs a leak.

It's nothing more than a glorified storage heater....... takes a couple of days to get up to temperature, if you get a sudden warm spell, all you can do is open the windows.

Underfloor heating seems to be the big thing now, but just a couple of points.......

It is seperated from the main heating system by electrical valves, pump, thermostats etc beyond the ken of your average plumber, so when it goes wrong, you might have a wait to find someone to fix it.

It's buried under floor tiles or similar, so you need to destroy the floor if it springs a leak.

It's nothing more than a glorified storage heater....... takes a couple of days to get up to temperature, if you get a sudden warm spell, all you can do is open the windows.
UFH has been around the continent for well over 30 years, like condensing boilers were available on the continent in the mid 80's and still took another 10+ years to even be accepted in the UK - I even had a bloke from British Gas in the mid 90's giving me a lecture on how shite condensing boilers were in comparison to traditional boilers.

Given: It does need an electrician to do the electrics in most cases - there were some valves that were plug and play and pop on/off for replacement. However, having a leak is nigh on impossible (thats nigh on. I've dealt with leaks from joints in copper pipes buried in living room floors so I know and appreciate underfloor leaks are a bugger) destroying the poly pipe is pretty much impossible unless the Emperor comes along with both of his brothers in tow. I went to the Polypipe R&D labs and watched/participated in trying to destroy pipe to cause leakage and had a demo of super-heated steam being run through a circuit around the wall of the lab. The super-heated steam was over 400 F causing the pipe to sag somewhat but, it held up and sprang back to its original location when cool.

You can use the UFH for cooling if you use a heat pump as your prime heat source. The UFH circulates collecting the heat from the structure and dumps it through the ground source or air source heat pump. Heat pumps cost a tad more to install. but the running costs to provide hot water and heat are around 20% of a traditional system. Canny shopping around (particularly from the continent) will pay dividends for heat pumps.

Latest Threads