safecount.net pop up - annoyance!

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Disco, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lately I have been getting a random safecount.net survey pop up when I open up arrse, it can appear randomly and not on every visit!

It closes with no dramas but I would rather it didn't appear at all.

My browser is chrome.

Maybe linked to the flash based ads?

2. google it, seems to be malware

3. I tried google but that just gave me more complaints, however I have trackdown their site which has an opt in/out page so tried that.

Linky is here

Cheers dc.

4. Does Adblock get rid of it? I've got rid of the orange hag with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi, I work at Safecount so I thought I'd reply to help clarify who we are. We are a survey company that advertisers use to help measure their ad campaigns. Sites like ARRSE are ad-supported so they can remain free to users and the advertisers want to know what people think about their brands. Safecount is not adware/spyware and we are TrustE approved. We do understand that the pop-ups/invites can be annoying sometimes and we try our best not to launch too many. We care about your site experience so you can actually go to our website safecount.net to change the frequency of our invites you get across the web in general or opt out completely if you want. Your opinions really do matter via these short surveys and we appreciate your help!

6. You should be able to opt out here mate ..... be advised tho that since this option places a "cookie" on your system, if you clean out your temp internet files folder, or are running a maintenance utility that automatically cleans out your folder's you will have to reinstall the "cookie" from this location.....

View Your Cookies Information | Safecount

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I've not seen these - am I right in thinking, Safe Count, that you are placing adverts that cause popups on my site via Google Adsense? If so I believe that is absolutely against Adsense policy. We use no other ad networks on ARRSE at present. I would be grateful if you could confirm to our users that your popups are nothing at all to do with ARRSE or you will cost us money. Regardless of your blah about free etc, I would not allow adverts that cause popups. If you are using Adsense ads for this then I will block you and report you to Google. We have sacked an entire ad network to avoid annoying slow ads a few months ago - it's a pet hate and just drives people to use adblockers.

8. HHH

HHH LE

It is back again, I was getting it before but then it stopped, to-day it reappeared.

9. I got it just now.
    I've had it few times today. It's not a big drame, just bloody annoying.

10. Its taken the place of Mrs Pumpkinhead in the top right corner now - maybe thats a good thing !

• Like Like x 1
  11. I spoke too soon . MODS please please please make it go away - The kids have enlarged her picture and made them into masks and gone trick or treating
    - some poor sod will have a heart attack when they open the door to that horror.

View attachment 54216

12. I got rid of her with adblock plus and now you post her picture!!!

13. HHH

HHH LE

It is still here;

Capture 85.jpg

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I am pretty sure that this is not us. The only advertising service we use is Google Adsense and they supposedly have a strict no-popups policy. I have never seen one on ARRSE. Do you get them on other sites that you use frequently?

Would you do me a favour though please and save the page if it happens again. Not a screenshot but the actual HTML page - like File->Save As in a normal window but is a bit more hidden, ie IE particularly.

One more actually - a full page screenshot would also do so that I can see what ads are on the screen.

15. HHH

HHH LE

I've never had it before on any other site, only had it here.