Safe Seats and Rotten/Pocket Boroughs

Following on from something I read, are safe seats the modern equivalent to the Rotten Boroughs of the 18th and early 19th Century. They do a similar job, shoe horning a candidate into a position where they are guranteed the right outcome.

Is there anyway that this could be stopped and if not, why should it be allowed to carry on. As far as I can see it is just a way of all political parties to get dubious "political" talent on to the gravy train.

First Alternative Vote would make some headway into this.
Unfortunately, for this to come about, we would have to see the cuttent vested interests actually explain AV properly, rather than as they did in 2011 when little was done to show how simple the system is & how it produces a far more representative parliament, if not government.

Following on from something I read, are safe seats the modern equivalent to the Rotten Boroughs of the 18th and early 19th Century. They do a similar job, shoe horning a candidate into a position where they are guranteed the right outcome.

Is there anyway that this could be stopped and if not, why should it be allowed to carry on. As far as I can see it is just a way of all political parties to get dubious "political" talent on to the gravy train.
I have always believed that there should be a residential qualification prior to standing for a particular constituency.
I believe that a starting point should be:

A prospective MP should have lived in a property within the constituency and have done so for 3 years prior to registering/standing as a candidate.

I have always believed that there should be a residential qualification prior to standing for a particular constituency.

A prospective MP should have lived in a property within the constituency and have done so for 3 years prior to registering/standing as a candidate.
I have always held the belief that the following should apply to anyone seeking election:

1. Must of held a non-political job for 10 years.
2. Must be a resident of the contituency that they wish to represent (5 years Min).
3. No criminal convictions.
4. No second job or representative on any board of a company or charity.
5. All private accounts to be audited annually to ensure no bribes or spurious payments are being taken.

I would add "and worked" to the requirement.
Oh...

I have always held the belief that the following should apply to anyone seeking election:

2. Must be a resident of the contituency that they wish to represent (5 years Min).
5. All private accounts to be audited annually to ensure no bribes or spurious payments are being taken.
good points

Where are you going to find this paragon of virtue? The kittens and unicorns shop?

You wait until I list the reforms to the House I would have.

1. Expenses only for travel, food and accomodation where it is directly linked to Parlimentary work.
2. A hotel to be purchased and used by MP's if they need accomodation overnight in London, no second homes. Food will be provided.
3. Clocking in, all MP's to clock in and out. Failure to clock in and out results in deductions of pay. Failure to attend Parliment without good reason results in fines.
4. Failure to attend 80% of debates will result in a 20% reduction in wages.

As from the last general election the MP for Saffron Walden is Olukemi (Kemi) Olufunto Badenoch (née Adegoke; born January 1980). I doubt she has ever been to Saffron Walden before being selected, she was a member of the London Assembly and lives in Wimbledon. She is now also vice-chair of the Conservative party. Clearly a rising star she was also shortlisted for the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency and previously contested the seat in Dulwich and West Norwood so seemingly only looking for a safe seat and not too bothered where.

Kemi Badenoch - Wikipedia

Where are you going to find this paragon of virtue? The kittens and unicorns shop?
Not really, I have lived in the same ward for 20 years, I have no criminal convictions, and I have been in the same job for 13 years...not difficult.

As from the last general election the MP for Saffron Walden is Olukemi (Kemi) Olufunto Badenoch (née Adegoke; born January 1980). I doubt she has ever been to Saffron Walden before being selected, she was a member of the London Assembly and lives in Wimbledon. She is now also vice-chair of the Conservative party. Clearly a rising star she was also shortlisted for the Hampstead and Kilburn constituency and previously contested the seat in Dulwich and West Norwood so seemingly only looking for a safe seat and not too bothered where.

Kemi Badenoch - Wikipedia
She is my local MP...never seen her up here.

Do you want to be an MP with all that entails?
Nope, butu just because I don't dosen't mean that those that aspire to should not have a criteria for selection.

I agree with all those except no.4. As long as interests are declared I think it’s a useful thing for politicians to keep in touch with reality.

You wait until I list the reforms to the House I would have.

1. Expenses only for travel, food and accomodation where it is directly linked to Parlimentary work.
2. A hotel to be purchased and used by MP's if they need accomodation overnight in London, no second homes. Food will be provided.
3. Clocking in, all MP's to clock in and out. Failure to clock in and out results in deductions of pay. Failure to attend Parliment without good reason results in fines.
4. Failure to attend 80% of debates will result in a 20% reduction in wages.
Politicians must be treated with respect as professional people or we’ll end up finding it increasingly difficult to recruit quality people. If someone can afford a second home, I don’t see why they shouldn’t have one... however I see no reason why it should be maintained and improved at public expense. And, yes, for those who cannot afford or who do not want a second home, secure and subsidised accommodation should be provided.
By ‘clocking in’ I take it you mean by using an old fashioned card machine? There is actually no need for this as individuals’ ID cards used to get through security can provide the same facility. I think MPs’ attendance and voting records are already in the public domain. I’d hesitate to dictate a compulsory percentage of debates to be attended- an MP might have other useful things to be getting on with other than snoozing through a debate with no relevance to their constituency and little importance in general.

If you don't want to be an MP then perhaps you are ideally qualified for office. I'm drawing up the paperwork now... Is that Mr Re-stilly or Ms (only at weekends)

If you don't want to be an MP then perhaps you are ideally qualified for office. I'm drawing up the paperwork now... Is that Mr Re-stilly or Ms (only at weekends)
I hope you are not assuming my gender...

I agree with all those except no.4. As long as interests are declared I think it’s a useful thing for politicians to keep in touch with reality.

Politicians must be treated with respect as professional people or we’ll end up finding it increasingly difficult to recruit quality people. If someone can afford a second home, I don’t see why they shouldn’t have one... however I see no reason why it should be maintained and improved at public expense. And, yes, for those who cannot afford or who do not want a second home, secure and subsidised accommodation should be provided.
By ‘clocking in’ I take it you mean by using an old fashioned card machine? There is actually no need for this as individuals’ ID cards used to get through security can provide the same facility. I think MPs’ attendance and voting records are already in the public domain. I’d hesitate to dictate a compulsory percentage of debates to be attended- an MP might have other useful things to be getting on with other than snoozing through a debate with no relevance to their constituency and little importance in general.
We use fingerprint scanning or keyfobs. ID cards could be used even passive RFID tags.

Must have lived in the constituency for so many years, must have a house there, retire at 65.
Well, that's Churchill out, then.
Oh, and Margaret Thatcher.

Latest Threads