Safari Problem

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by FinalRV, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If this has already been identified then I apologise.

I can access arrse fine as long as I delete all cookies or I log out before I leave the arrse site.

Also when i log in it always takes two attempts. First attempt gives either a blank page or an error. I press refresh and send form again then it all works fine.

If I then leave the site and try to go back (without deleting cookies) I get a fatal error. This doesn't happen if i return immediately. I am not sure how much time must pass before this symptom occurs.

Any other mac users having this issue?

2. Not a Mac user but if I click on a link on the site 9 times out of 10 I get an error report and it closes down IE. Is it my computer or the new site? It has only happened since the new site launched.

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Can you tell me the error report and which version of IE otherwise I can start looking but it doesn't make it easy.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Could you try going to my stuff -> change site colours, make sure ARRSE2 is selected then save the page with the button at the bottom then let me know if that cures it?

I did test thoroughly in Safari but only in Windows, sorry. Got windows and linux but no Macs here at ARRSE Towers.

5. Whoops! I was just going to post that I am a Mac user, with Safari ........ Then :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: ....... oh no ..... I'm pet-sitting at my daughter's while she's on holiday. Sorry.

6. msr

msr LE

I have a Mac now :)

One minute.

msr

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

can you tell me the pet version and operating system please. Also is there any error message? A squawk, squeak or squeal code perhaps?

8. msr

msr LE

Sorry, not seeing that behaviour at all.

Have you tried firefox: http://firefox.com ?

msr

9. I have just done this, only one theme available, arrse 2, is that right?

Anyway did as you said and I will let you know.

When i next get the error message I will copy it to you.

Thanks

10. oh and I am running Mac OS X 10.5.2, using Safari 3.1 (5525.13)

11. Ok, since I did the colour trick I have had no errors. If they turn up I will let you know.

I presume you know this, but I didn't change any colour scheme.

arrse2 was already selected. I just re-selected it and click save changes.

Anyway, seems to have fixed the issue thus far.

Thanks!

12. Yes, I had the same error using Safari. I delted all the cookies and logged in again, it has been fine since. It wasn't just a Safari problem though, I had the same on my windows machine using IE and had to take the same steps.

13. I have switched computers now and don't seem to have any problems with this one, so maybe it is to do with the other computer.

Not sure which version of IE it was using as it doesn't say and wasn't mine. The error message was the one where it says microsoft has encountered problems and would I like to send a report. It didn't give me the message every time though, sometimes it would just close down any IE page that was using arrse. Didn't happen with any other site so maybe that one doesn't like arrse.

14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

OK - I'm glad it works now anyway. For future reference the version of whatever software you're using is normally given in Help -> About in the header menu.

There is still a problem in IE6 to be sorted out, and I suppose this could be related. I will get on with it early next week, then do the other themes.

15. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I have not had this problem at all using Safari on any of my Macs: PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro, G5 iMac, MacBook and iPhone.

On the other hand, I have constant problems on the Windoze machine at work - error messages, freezing and very slow responses - might just be the hopeless network, however.