• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Sadiq Khan goes ahead with charge on most polluting cars from Oct 17

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sadiq Khan goes ahead with the £10 daily charge on most polluting cars.

London to introduce £10 vehicle pollution charge, says Sadiq Khan

This will undoubtedly impact some of the poorest citizens.
On the plus side there could be some foul, smelly, dirty, carcinogen-producing banger to be had.
I know what you meant. When they introduced exhaust catalysers in the early 90s I remember reading that overall London air pollution dropped by 80%. I worked there. The air was palpably cleaner. Then diesels became popular. I maintained the high ground, and still do. And developed asthma. Thank you.

I paid a premium to run a petrol driven car, and always have.

Can I just say the view from the moral high ground would be great if it weren't so polluted? Diesels owners' turn to pay. Suck it up.

I donthave a problem with cleaning the air in London - or any city. I remember the 70's & 80's, often being stuck in London traffic jams and being unable to breathe properly because of the traffic fumes.

Bangkok was even worse and in 1995 I was staying at the Intercontinental there and went for a walk outside the hotel during the morning rush hour. There were swirls of diesel and two stroke fog so thick you couldn't see to the other side of the aptly named Sukhumvit.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had asthma till I left home.
Horrible thing, you have my sympathies.
It's entirely controlled and there's family history (for one, a cousin, 12, died in his mother's arms). I have got off lightly and well into my 40s before it struck me. Right after diesel became a realistic option in private cars and when I'd worked and breathed in London for several years.

It's a dirty, smelly place that I don't miss one bit and I'm hugely more healthy than the vast majority of my peers. I'll take asthma over the things people report on our Facebook group.

It's entirely controlled and there's family history (for one, a cousin, 12, died in his mother's arms). I have got off lightly and well into my 40s before it struck me. Right after diesel became a realistic option in private cars and when I'd worked and breathed in London for several years.

It's a dirty, smelly place that I don't miss one bit and I'm hugely more healthy than the vast majority of my peers. I'll take asthma over the things people report on our Facebook group.
Mine was nervous asthma as I completely got over it 3 months after leaving home.
It was uncontrolled until I was 11 as I was not supposed to suffer from it as a child (I assume things have moved on), but after that I had an inhaler and was fine.
2 years after I left home I joined up and never had a problem.
Agree about London.

I donthave a problem with cleaning the air in London - or any city. I remember the 70's & 80's, often being stuck in London traffic jams and being unable to breathe properly because of the traffic fumes.

Bangkok was even worse and in 1995 I was staying at the Intercontinental there and went for a walk outside the hotel during the morning rush hour. There were swirls of diesel and two stroke fog so thick you couldn't see to the other side of the aptly named Sukhumvit.
This year in driving to and in Havana , Cuba, went for a visit and walk around. After one or two hours the guide took us into a posh hotel . The fact we were now in an air conditioned area was a change, going back out was like sticking your face into a 1950 diesel . They use really cheap and low quality fuel and it smells like they do to.

London is a pox ridden shithole full of weirdos and foreigners.
Couldn't care less if you burned the whole rat infested hovel to the ground.

The only reason I ever have to enter the damned place is when work demands it and they are paying.

That tosser Kahn can do what he likes within the confines of London. He's a half witted moron.

Last edited:
This year in driving to and in Havana , Cuba, went for a visit and walk around. After one or two hours the guide took us into a posh hotel . The fact we were now in an air conditioned area was a change, going back out was like sticking your face into a 1950 diesel . They use really cheap and low quality fuel and it smells like they do to.
And there you go!

Talk about global warming and pollution, we have just been through Christmas, Western New Year and Chinese New Year.About 200 billion joss sticks and hundred billion candles and a billion paper shirts, trousers, belts, jackets, shoes, fake dollars all burned. No wonder the ice caps are melting. But we aren't allowed to mention it, cos its cultural.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
His plan is to use the extra £10 to help clean the air in London, but with the massive shortfall in TfL income over the next 4 years, I can see where this will really be spent, after all, the tube drivers haven't had a payrise since 2015!

DERV today, wood burning stoves tomorrow.
Actually you have reminded me about something that was on the radio over the last 'pollution episode ' some one (can't remember who) was saying that it wasn't due to cars, but due to wood burners being used in London over the cold weekend.

All I can remember was that he was a professor from some university.

Can't find a link or anything to back up my addled brain, so.....

Weapons free if you want.

I know what you meant. When they introduced exhaust catalysers in the early 90s I remember reading that overall London air pollution dropped by 80%. I worked there. The air was palpably cleaner. Then diesels became popular. I maintained the high ground, and still do. And developed asthma. Thank you.

I paid a premium to run a petrol driven car, and always have.

Can I just say the view from the moral high ground would be great if it weren't so polluted? Diesels owners' turn to pay. Suck it up.
You mean you bought one of those high polluting petrol cars that we were told were polluting the air with all the CO2? Whilst those buying diesel were told by the "experts" that they were cleaner, less CO2, less pollution because of less refining and getting more miles for their gallon even though, in UK, they were paying more for it? Therefore it was diesel owners (not me, by the way*) who were up on the moral high ground and not those dirty, petrol car drivers.
And then the very same experts who suddenly discovered NO2 so now all diesel cars are to blame for all the sh1te the petrol drivers put into the atmosphere over the years.
Why aren't you driving an electric car if you're such a prescient do-gooder?
Until, of course, the very same experts come along and tell us that the electric being generated causes more of some, as yet, unknown gas so they can tax us more on that instead.

*As I've only recently, in the last 6 months, bought my first diesel car because the model wasn't available in petrol and automatic, get on your bike.

The problem in London isn't what fuel your car burns, it's the fact that it spends a lot of the time just sitting there going nowhere because Traffic for London have deliberately created congestion on London's roads in an attempt to deter motorists.
Simply put, they are pollution causing morons, it's like Livingston never left........