ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Sadiq Khan goes ahead with charge on most polluting cars from Oct 17

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Stan_Da_Bout, Feb 17, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I know what you meant. When they introduced exhaust catalysers in the early 90s I remember reading that overall London air pollution dropped by 80%. I worked there. The air was palpably cleaner. Then diesels became popular. I maintained the high ground, and still do. And developed asthma. Thank you.

I paid a premium to run a petrol driven car, and always have.

Can I just say the view from the moral high ground would be great if it weren't so polluted? Diesels owners' turn to pay. Suck it up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Final nail in the coffin of black cabs?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I donthave a problem with cleaning the air in London - or any city. I remember the 70's & 80's, often being stuck in London traffic jams and being unable to breathe properly because of the traffic fumes.

Bangkok was even worse and in 1995 I was staying at the Intercontinental there and went for a walk outside the hotel during the morning rush hour. There were swirls of diesel and two stroke fog so thick you couldn't see to the other side of the aptly named Sukhumvit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. You can convert diesel engines to run on natural gas and its much cleaner.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. They are exempt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I had asthma till I left home.
    Horrible thing, you have my sympathies.

7. Pfft. My diesel produces only the purest air at the exhaust.

VW said so.

• Funny Funny x 14
  8. From 2018 cabs will only come in ZEC. All replacements will move the killing of people nearer to the power stations.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

It's entirely controlled and there's family history (for one, a cousin, 12, died in his mother's arms). I have got off lightly and well into my 40s before it struck me. Right after diesel became a realistic option in private cars and when I'd worked and breathed in London for several years.

It's a dirty, smelly place that I don't miss one bit and I'm hugely more healthy than the vast majority of my peers. I'll take asthma over the things people report on our Facebook group.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mine was nervous asthma as I completely got over it 3 months after leaving home.
    It was uncontrolled until I was 11 as I was not supposed to suffer from it as a child (I assume things have moved on), but after that I had an inhaler and was fine.
    2 years after I left home I joined up and never had a problem.
    Agree about London.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DERV today, wood burning stoves tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  12. This year in driving to and in Havana , Cuba, went for a visit and walk around. After one or two hours the guide took us into a posh hotel . The fact we were now in an air conditioned area was a change, going back out was like sticking your face into a 1950 diesel . They use really cheap and low quality fuel and it smells like they do to.

13. London is a pox ridden shithole full of weirdos and foreigners.
    Couldn't care less if you burned the whole rat infested hovel to the ground.

The only reason I ever have to enter the damned place is when work demands it and they are paying.

That tosser Kahn can do what he likes within the confines of London. He's a half witted moron.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 18
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. And there you go!

Talk about global warming and pollution, we have just been through Christmas, Western New Year and Chinese New Year.About 200 billion joss sticks and hundred billion candles and a billion paper shirts, trousers, belts, jackets, shoes, fake dollars all burned. No wonder the ice caps are melting. But we aren't allowed to mention it, cos its cultural.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1