Saddam was a nice guy "really"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by shaka, Jan 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What irony. The cemetaries of Iraq are full of people that trusted Saddam.
    He wasnt as bad for Iraq as say Pol Pot. He wasnt anywhere near the killer Stalin or Hitler was. But a nice guy ? Hardly.
  2. He's still nicer than Blair and Brown put together...
  3. I believe that is what the producers of 'Downfall' (Link) tried to 'tackle'; (from bild): "Are we allowed to show the monster as a human being?" Wikipedia has an interesting page on the subject (link)
  4. Similar to 'Stockholm syndrome' posssibly?
  5. hmmmmmmmmmmmm if in Great Britain my only voting choices were Sadam, Bush or Blair, I wonder who I would vote for?

now theres a thought!
  6. Maybe places like Iraq need someone such as saddam to keep it in order! I suppose one good thing about dictators is that they keep the unruly in order.
  7. I'm fairly sure Saddam was an evil tw@.

Can I have an interview on Sky on the basis of my view?
  8. Even if the odd 100,000 innocents get killed?
  9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

How many innocent civilians have been killed since he was deposed?
  10. And how many have died and will continue to die since his dictatorship ended? This includes British and coalition forces who wouldn't have died otherwise!
  11. What about the time he took two of his sons to a prison, gave them guns, and told them to shoot the prisoners? He was a vicious man who raised his children to be vicious.

Of course he's a complex character. He lived with a paranoid uncle after being abandoned by his unstable mother. He was sent back to live with his mother and incredibly abusive step-father after his uncle was arrested for his role in an unsuccesful Nazi backed uprisig against the British. He was not born this way, he was made this way. He made his sons into the monsters they were.

This was a man who killed loyal people to make sure everyone knew their place. He was a racist, greedy, selfish murderer. The mass graves littered throughout the desert speak speak volumes of his character.

We try to compare Saddam and Coalition era Iraq. Let's step back. What about pre-saddam Iraq? Saddam polarized the various groups of the country through deceit and guile. The division we see today is his doing.

What remains to be seen is if Iraq can heal, and return to it's former glory as a place of scholars, art, thinkers, and farmers. Poor planning has allowed Saddam's legacy to grow.
  12. On purpose, as part of a pogrom? NOt nearly as many
  13. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm sure they will be delighted at the thought of dying as part of a Pogrom.... or if not on purpose, by accident?

If the Programme was just, and not based on bullshit, bent info and an ego trip for two of the most dangerous arrseholes on the planet I'd be inclined to agree.

Sadly for the marvellous liberating free west, Saddam went with more dignity that those two pricks could ever dream of having.
  14. The story of internecine war between different groups of people living under oppressive foreign occupation is an old one.

Its a form of national self loathing and self harm.

Before any of us British start getting too self righteous perhaps it might be a good idea to examine our longstanding involvement in Iraq dating back to the first world war.

Its been argued that the British welshed on a deal made with the Arabs by Lawrence.
    Either way we invaded Iraq at the end of the war.
    The Black Watch taking Baghdad.

We bombed them with gas during our occupation then and we have invaded them again.
    I wonder how many of them we have killed over this period of Anglo/Iraqi involvement?

Bet it rivals Saddam's total.
    And how many Iraqis have come to our shores and killed any of us?

I think I would be safe in sticking my neck out and saying, none.