Saddam tribunal judge assassinated

Gunmen have assassinated a judge on the special tribunal to try Saddam Hussein and his top lieutenants.

In a separate incident insurgents killed six soldiers with a car bomb outside an army recruitment centre in Baghdad.

A further 38 people were injured. The centre was one of Saddam's former military bases now used by the new Iraqi army.

Judge Barawiz Mahmoud and his son, who also worked as a lawyer, were shot dead as they left their home in the Adhamiya district of the capital, Interior Ministry officials said.

"He was working in the special tribunal. He was involved in cases including Saddam's," one ministry official added.

It was the first assassination of a member of the special tribunal, which includes about 50 trial judges, investigating magistrates, prosecutors and appeals court judges.

The killing came a day after the tribunal said it had enough evidence to put five former Ba'ath party officials on trial, including Saddam's half-brother Barzan Ibrahim al-Hassan al-Tikriti and Taha Yasin Ramadan, former deputy prime minister.

The trial is not expected to begin for at least another seven weeks. Saddam, who briefly appeared before a judge last July, is expected to be tried next year on war crimes charges.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...ml&sSheet=/portal/2005/03/02/ixportaltop.html

getting murkier with no end in sight so far.

No, i just think that the media are portaying it that way. When i read articles from people who are actually in iraq and witness everyday life (unlike the hotel journalism from most wetern media), it seems that things are on the up. People are getting jobs, things are returning to almost normality.

In my view, there are only a small number of high impact incidents like this that get hyped up by the journos (trying to justify their existence by making it look like there is a story when there isnt)

A_S

Apparently it was not an assassination, it was personal.........
the times said:
A tribunal official confirmed the killings, but said the judge was not assassinated. "He was not killed because he was working at the tribunal," the court official said. "It was something personal. I don’t have details, but investigations are still going on."
and Wacko Jacko doesn't fiddle kids.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-1507619,00.html
edited to add link so noone thinks I'm making quotes up

Agent_Smith said:
No, i just think that the media are portaying it that way. When i read articles from people who are actually in iraq and witness everyday life (unlike the hotel journalism from most wetern media), it seems that things are on the up. People are getting jobs, things are returning to almost normality.

In my view, there are only a small number of high impact incidents like this that get hyped up by the journos (trying to justify their existence by making it look like there is a story when there isnt)

A_S
i was refering to the insurgents, who are really realeased criminals, ex saddam loyalist with a few islamist thrown in.

on the whole i have heard that it looking better, we are not out of the tunnel yet , we need more boots on the ground, some American actions had made a few own goals which made our job a bit harder, i don't think we are completelyperfect in this too, on the whole it is getting better.
if the American troops use this operation to gain anti terrorist experience in the same way we gained NI experience then hopefully they can learn form it and become better peacekeepers in furture operation.